The Canadian news media

taxme

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/10/2016 at 3:26 PM, bcsapper said:

Given the recent attempt by those who find the Cleveland Indians name and logo offensive to obtain a court injunction denying them the right to use said in Toronto for the three games they are involved in during the American League Championship Series, I was wondering the prevailing view on this site is.  I personally do not support the attempt. 

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/ontario-court-to-consider-application-to-stop-cleveland-from-wearing-offensive-baseball-jerseys-in-toronto

I'm not sure it's a legal issue, but I think testing it in the courts is worthwhile ... to draw attention to the ignorance in continuing to use that name, mascot(?) and logo. 

At some point, the team may decide that the controversy is a distraction to their real purpose ... playing ball.

That will be a good thing. 

On 16/10/2016 at 6:07 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

I hope the Cleveland Indians just sweep the Toronto Blue Jays (also an offensive name to some)

Elaborate?

and the matter will no longer be an issue for this year.

Toronto can forfeit all future baseball games with the Cleveland Indians on principle.  Everybody wins !

Cleveland wants to wuss out? :)

and the matter will no longer be an issue for this year.

Toronto can forfeit all future baseball games with the Cleveland Indians on principle.  Everybody wins !

Cleveland wants to wuss out? :)

Edited by jacee
Fix crap tf??!!?

2 minutes ago, jacee said:

I'm not sure it's a legal issue, but I think testing it in the courts is worthwhile ... to draw attention to the ignorance in continuing to use that name, mascot(?) and logo. 

At some point, the team may decide that the controversy is a distraction to their real purpose ... playing ball.

That will be a good thing. 

Did you intend to repeat your post from yesterday or is this a new software issue?

On 10/16/2016 at 3:26 PM, bcsapper said:

Given the recent attempt by those who find the Cleveland Indians name and logo offensive to obtain a court injunction denying them the right to use said in Toronto for the three games they are involved in during the American League Championship Series,

Court case was Today, and they failed to get an injunction. 

On 10/16/2016 at 11:42 AM, cybercoma said:

You're right. There is intolerance in Canada for intolerance. That doesn't mean you're being censored. It means people are exercising their free speech rights to criticize you.

Pulling fire alarms and yelling over people is criticism?

How about tresspassing or blocking people to go to private speaking events where a speaking group paid for space to hold that event?

Could you name something Cathy Young said that should not be 'tolerated'?

Edited by -1=e^ipi

Pulling fire alarms, yelling over people, trespassing or blocking people are criminal acts and should be treated as such.

Unless there's a fire.

Edited by bcsapper

On 10/16/2016 at 8:39 AM, taxme said:

Then you have not fact checked out what Ezra has said and shown many times on The Rebel. There is certain speech that will not be tolerated in Canada, and many politically incorrect speech has been shut down by intolerant bigots as has been shown on many of his shows. But don't take my word for it just ask Paul Fromm and Arthur Topham as examples about that. They can give you an earful about how freedom of speech really works in Canada. But go on believing how freedom of speech is tolerated and welcomed and protected in Canada. It looks to me like you are not getting or reading the other side of the story. Aw well.  

It's sad when people mistake 'freedom of speech' for unfettered ability to promote hatred and violence.   Even so, people are free to say a lot of things - although I agree it crosses a line when a person advocates sterilizing an entire group of people, as Topham did.   Fromm is certainly doing an inordinate amount of talking (and publishing), for someone who's free speech has been "shut down".   

This does look like an argument of "if you don't agree with and support me, then you are denying me my rights" - which is pretty delusional thinking.

Edited by dialamah

On 10/16/2016 at 4:07 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

I hope the Cleveland Indians just sweep the Toronto Blue Jays (also an offensive name to some) and the matter will no longer be an issue for this year.

Yeah, I heard that the Magpies and Squirrels were filing a class action lawsuit against the Blue Jays for cultural misappropriation and chronic theft of the bird seed.

9 hours ago, dialamah said:

It's sad when people mistake 'freedom of speech' for unfettered ability to promote hatred and violence.   Even so, people are free to say a lot of things - although I agree it crosses a line when a person advocates sterilizing an entire group of people, as Topham did.   Fromm is certainly doing an inordinate amount of talking (and publishing), for someone who's free speech has been "shut down".   

This does look like an argument of "if you don't agree with and support me, then you are denying me my rights" - which is pretty delusional thinking.

You can say what ever you want too but expect a reply from me if I don't believe or agree with what you are saying. Some people should consider sterilizing themselves because many are a burden on the rest of the world with their over the top birth rates. Just my opinion of course.

On 10/18/2016 at 4:21 AM, -1=e^ipi said:

Pulling fire alarms and yelling over people is criticism?

How about tresspassing or blocking people to go to private speaking events where a speaking group paid for space to hold that event?

No, I don't approve of illegal acts. Just because there are people out there that commit them against someone doesn't mean I automatically accept the person who they were committed against.

On 10/11/2016 at 0:59 PM, overthere said:

I wish we could have a poll function here.

Natural US election poll question, CDN version:

Who is  worse?

A. Trump

B. Harper

C. Satan

D. All of the above.

Lets replace Harper with Trudeau since trudeau has done nothing but lie thru his teeth. Harper like him or not was a honest man and you knew what you were getting. With the current leader , nobody has a idea what is going on.

I'm sure I can find other things if I try.  Three armed artic icebreakers come to mind.  Sustainable, predictable military funding also comes to mind.  There are other things.

The point of course is that all governments make reversals of promises when confronted with reality.  Most of them were never intended as out and out lies.

Edited by Smallc

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎11 at 0:49 PM, Benz said:

I think Trump managed himself to get all that attention and has no intention to change the formula. He is not complaining.

I did not follow the english canadian medias that much, but here we had enough news in the french media about the very corporatist side of Hillary. We very aware that she represents and works for the establishment and have not much in common with the "real people". She has no effect or does not generate any inspiration like Obama did  few years ago. The sincerity lacks badly she is VERY lucky to have Trump as the opponent for presidency.

Now that the republican establishment is giving up on Trump, one would think that he is toasted and it will be an easy win for Clington. It is safe to say it is a bug possible outcome but, I would not be so sure about it. If Trump plays his cards well, he can manage to represent the image of the guy against the establishment (democrats and republicans), a guy of the people. He still can cause the surprise Just because the Bush family and so many other republicans do not like him, it makes him look more sympathic, or less terrible. He has nothing more to lose, Clington has every thing to lose.

I would not bet on any of those two.

Sometimes I wish I am wrong. :)

On 10/16/2016 at 8:42 AM, cybercoma said:

You're right. There is intolerance in Canada for intolerance. That doesn't mean you're being censored. It means people are exercising their free speech rights to criticize you.

When intolerance denies the right for the other person to speak that is where I have intolerance for intolerance. If one is of a politically incorrect mind it would appear that politicians, the corporate owned media, and special interest groups try to have one shut down because of their intolerance for others and their opinion and points of views. Censorship does exist in Canada. Ezra Levant can point that out to anyone who cares to listen to what he has to say about intolerance. But hey, who bothers, eh?