Wynne says Hydro rates an "Urgent" Issue

Boges

Guess losing a Toronto area riding you've never been without is a huge wake up call.

Especial the wake of a letter from the Opposition leader saying he'd scrap the Province's Sex-Ed curriculum. Where he had to come out the following week and say he didn't mean it and he didn't even write the letter.

To lose anyway must sting.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2926111/premier-kathleen-wynne-calls-ontario-hydro-rates-an-urgent-issue-for-her-government/?sf35341601=1

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne says rising hydro bills are an “urgent issue” across the province, marking an about-face for the Liberal government who had previously downplayed rising energy costs for rural residents.

Wynne said in the Scarborough-Rouge River byelection the most consistent issue her government heard from Ontarians was the rising cost of electricity bills.

“It’s not something that is isolated to one riding in Toronto. It’s a concern across the province and I recognize that,” Wynne told reporters Wednesday. “I’ve heard those concerns and those concerns will become part of our considerations as we go.”

READ MORE: Ontario hydro costs: Timeline leading up to Wynne calling it an ’urgent issue’

She called the matter an “urgent issue” for the Minister of Energy Glenn Thibeault.

“We had to make the investments that we made to have the reliable electricity system in the province,” Wynne said. “I recognize that there’s a cost associated with them and I recognized that before the byelection and I’ve said we understand that we need to take that into account and come up with increasing or further mitigations.”

So instead of just lowering the price of hydro. Or even not increasing it at the rate it has been going up. She wants to give more rebates to low income earners. That's not going to work, and it's not going to help. It's middle-income earners, especially in rural ridings where delivery costs are astronomical, that are really feeling the pinch. Often low income earners rent and don't pay a lot of hydro anyway.

Part of the problem was the money spent on smart meters (and replacing them several times since introduced) and energy saving appliances. Which in many cases only resulted in higher electric bills. Opposite of what it was to accomplish So we have not saved money at all, we got F'd twice.

My electric bill seemed to have doubled over the past few months and my consumption is about the same, even a bit less since those high bills.

Part of the problem was the money spent on smart meters (and replacing them several times since introduced) and energy saving appliances. Which in many cases only resulted in higher electric bills. Opposite of what it was to accomplish So we have not saved money at all, we got F'd twice.

My electric bill seemed to have doubled over the past few months and my consumption is about the same, even a bit less since those high bills.

I'm not sure why you thought the purpose of smart meters is to reduce your costs. The reason for smart meters is for your utility provider to maintain or increase their revenue in the face of declining consumption. And you are going to get boned hard again when the utility runs out of tricks with time of day' charges, and introduces you to the second horror of 'demand charges'. Its easy to do with smart meters, they are like little ATMs on every home.

How do you lower the cost of hydro, when Mike Harris converted the public utility to a private one? What part of the government doesn't control the rate don't you get? Hydro is a private enterprise thanks to the Progressive Conservatives who destroyed many, many decades of a public utility. What would you like the government to do? Pay the several hundred billion dollars required to return the electric grid to public control?

How do you lower the cost of hydro, when Mike Harris converted the public utility to a private one?

Hydro rates are high in Ontario because of liberal policies to cancel gas power generation projects while grossly over paying for wind and solar projects produce power that exceeds demand needs to be dumped at a loss. Properly regulated private enterprises can generally deliver better service at a lower cost than any publicly run corporation. The trouble with monopoly entities like Hydro is they are often run like piggy banks for the politically connected and the Liberals deserve much of the blame for that.

Pay the several hundred billion dollars required to return the electric grid to public control?

Stop funding solar and wind. Cancel as many of the existing contracts as possible. Build gas powered generation to meet demand.

Build gas powered generation to meet demand.

Are you arguing for public or private power? You seem to say that private is the only way to go, but then turn completely around and talk about public investments. The fact is that the private sector is a complete and utter failure in utilities, the world over.

How do you lower the cost of hydro, when Mike Harris converted the public utility to a private one? What part of the government doesn't control the rate don't you get? Hydro is a private enterprise thanks to the Progressive Conservatives who destroyed many, many decades of a public utility. What would you like the government to do? Pay the several hundred billion dollars required to return the electric grid to public control?

Going to the blame Harris card again? Does that not get old? If it was that horrible a model, the Liberals could have changed it 13 years ago.

The prices have crept up steadily because of Liberal policies AND! they stand to make it worse by selling off a portion of Hydro One.

Going to the blame Harris card again? Does that not get old? If it was that horrible a model, the Liberals could have changed it 13 years ago.

The prices have crept up steadily because of Liberal policies AND! they stand to make it worse by selling off a portion of Hydro One.

I agree, the Liberals should have spent the several hundred billion dollars to fix the Progressive Conservative mistake years ago. Yes, they are 100% responsible for not doing that. It does not however change the root of the problem.

I broke the window, and you didn't fix it. Does the fact you didn't fix it absolve me of the responsibility for breaking it in the first place?

I agree, the Liberals should have spent the several hundred billion dollars to fix the Progressive Conservative mistake years ago. Yes, they are 100% responsible for not doing that. It does not however change the root of the problem.

I broke the window, and you didn't fix it. Does the fact you didn't fix it absolve me of the responsibility for breaking it in the first place?

Even if it was Harris' fault originally, which I don't agree with, but whatever. It's the Liberals fault now!

It's not just because of whatever Harris did. This steady increase in prices came after Smart Meters were installed, the FITT program for Wind and Solar that don't ad to base load, the Cancelled plants in Oakville and Mississauga, The outrageous compensation for Hydro employees ETC ETC ETC. This all comes under the Liberals watch.

And to imply that Patrick Brown and the current PC opposition can't be elected because of whatever you think Harris did to cause this problem is as insane as blaming JT for the Sponsorship Scandal.

Edited by Boges

is as insane as blaming JT for the Sponsorship Scandal.

The sponsorship 'scandal' was a minor issue, that had absolutely zero effect on today. The Harris Energy Act changed the basic system of power generation, distribution, and retailing in the province and has enormous effect today. To make the comparison between the two is ridiculous.

Edited by ?Impact

You seem to say that private is the only way to go, but then turn completely around and talk about public investments.

Government policy determines what power sources are favored. They should stop subsidizing wind and solar and remove regulatory barriers which discourage development of gas powered generation. Privately run providers providers work best when there is competition. Publicly owned but privately run crown corporations are a better option for monopolies. Publicly run utilities is are generally a disaster.

The sponsorship 'scandal' was a minor issue, that had absolutely zero effect on today. The Harris Energy Act changed the basic system of power generation, distribution, and retailing in the province and has enormous effect today. To make the comparison between the two is ridiculous.

So is imply a current opposition has to answer for power policies of one 13 years earlier when the current administration is the one that put in the policies that caused the hydro rate issue that the Premiere calls "Urgent".

Government policy determines what power sources are favored. They should stop subsidizing wind and solar and remove regulatory barriers which discourage development of gas powered generation. Privately run providers providers work best when there is competition. Publicly owned but privately run crown corporations are a better option for monopolies. Publicly run utilities is are generally a disaster.

What barriers are there to private enterprise developing gas powered generation? Yes, there are environmental and safety regulations, are you suggesting we need to be the wild west? You fail to understand the basic problem with competition in the utility marketplace, look to California and their problems. Everyone wants to run at 100% production, but that does not provide any reliability or growth.

Edited by ?Impact

What barriers are there to private enterprise developing gas powered generation? Yes, there are environmental and safety regulations, are you suggesting we need to be the wild west? You fail to understand the basic problem with competition in the utility marketplace, look to California and their problems. Everyone wants to run at 100% production, but that does not provide any reliability or growth.

Well if we did have a private system, like you claim, then why was coal scrapped? Clearly the government of the day dictates what type of power will be used.

Well if we did have a private system, like you claim, then why was coal scrapped? Clearly the government of the day dictates what type of power will be used.

Coal was scrapped by Progressive Conservative Ernie Eves. He established the plan to eliminate coal powered generation by the year 2015 (actual ended up being 2014). Wynne did introduce legislation (Bill 9 - Ending Coal for Cleaner Air Act) to amend the Environmental Protection Act to eliminate coal from being used again to generate electricity in the province.

Are you arguing the government should be out of regulation entirely? Are you suggesting the wild west, and damn the consequences (environment, etc.)?

I don't agree with Bill 9, I would prefer to see emission taxes (carbon tax, particulate tax, etc.). Unfortunately the loon fringe have campaigned hard against that, making it political suicide.

Only the loon fringe are against carbon taxes? I think that's a loon fringe position.

Look for Wynne to back down on her Cap and Trade plans. Or at least mitigate the costs.

Wynne will do whatever Trudeau tells her to do about carbon pricing.

Don't forget, Trudeau tried to bully the premiers into a national carbon tax a few months back, and they balked much to his embarrassment. The next meeting is this fall, and he wants action. Wynne will do what she is told to do.

This is the version of history which comes from which alternate reality?

Hydro rates have doubled not because of Harris but because of McGuinty and Wynne's embracing of green energy, and the enormous subsidies they've paid.

And if Hydro One was privatized by Harris how come Wynne is selling off the shares to the private sector - through banks who have donated handsomely to the Liberal Party?

What does Patrick Brown have to say about this? Do you all believe if we stopped all future wind/solar development your bill is going down?

You're rate is also paying for the refurbishment of Darlington, the expansion of Adam Beck, the construction at Mattagami, the upgrades to Cherrywood Switching.

Know what happens when you artificially suppress your power charges? See Toronto Hydro trying to keep the lights on down in Condo slumland because their yards are incapable of handling the load. Privatize T-H you say? I bet that'll get that needed investment.

What does Patrick Brown have to say about this? Do you all believe if we stopped all future wind/solar development your bill is going down?

You're rate is also paying for the refurbishment of Darlington, the expansion of Adam Beck, the construction at Mattagami, the upgrades to Cherrywood Switching.

Know what happens when you artificially suppress your power charges? See Toronto Hydro trying to keep the lights on down in Condo slumland because their yards are incapable of handling the load. Privatize T-H you say? I bet that'll get that needed investment.

It is the Liberals that are selling Hydro 1.

It is the Liberals that have wasted billions on gas plants cancellations and smart meter.

It is the Liberals that have been paying huge subsidies on wind and solar power.

It is the Liberals that caused the massive hydro bills we are all paying and now they feel it is only the Liberals that can help us all out of this mess.