Should Canada screen potential immigrants/refugees for Canadian Values

Argus

Screening for Canadian values  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But you're just setting your own goalpost without any regard for actual reality. Gay Marriage is legal in Canada. That was affirmed by both our highest court and our own Parliament. Canadians have become very accepting of that - in fact a majority of them have. It's a Canadian value.

No, acceptance and tolerance are Canadian values. Gay marriage is a product of that. There is an enormous difference.

And the laws change when values change. Keep increasing the size of extremely conservative religious groups like the ultra-orthodox Jews, Muslims and Sikhs and you'll find those laws changing to reflect that religious conservatism.

The children of immigrants tend to adopt Canadian values when away from their homeland - unless, those values are built into a religion and they are deeply indoctrinated from a very early age. Then those values remain, generation after generation, as we see with the ultra-orthodox Jews in Canada and the United States.

You can thank the progressives for actually doing something to move us out of the dark ages.

Cool. And now the progressives are doing something to move us back there again. Not so cool.

Edited by Argus

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halal Certification in Canada is a fact. Not a lie.

Food suppliers...who supply the food to the store you shop at...usually opt to certify all their products rather than some...easier. This cost is passed on to you.

Islam imposes itself on society.

ah, no. Thats the food supplier imposing itself on the buyer.

No, acceptance and tolerance are Canadian values. Gay marriage is a product of that.

Right - and it's quite arguable that people who don't want to allow gay marriage are not accepting or tolerant.

And the laws change when values change. Keep increasing the size of extremely conservative religious groups like the ultra-orthodox Jews, Muslims and Sikhs and you'll find those laws changing to reflect that religious conservatism.

They're not on the road to become a majority. They're (the hard liners) actually very small parts of the respective populations you mentioned.

The children of immigrants tend to adopt Canadian values when away from their homeland - unless, those values are built into a religion and they are deeply indoctrinated from a very early age. Then those values remain, generation after generation, as we see with the ultra-orthodox Jews in Canada and the United States.

Most Muslims see their faith as important. Most also don't see it as contradicting what it is to be Canadian. Muslims in Canada tend to be very proud of their country.

The food suppliers are not going to ignore the Muslim food requirements. The demand comes at the till.

I have noticed, as I've become older, that more and more often suppliers of products go with the latest trend; I can remember when new products catering to a specific market were hard to find unless you went to a speciality store or ordered it from out of country or sometimes Torongo) but that doesn't see to happen so much any more. So, for example, nearly as soon as we hear about gluten sensitivity or allergy, there's gluten-free products popping up all over the place. Suppliers do seem a lot more sensitive to what people want 'at the till', and I don't really see a problem with it.

Demand originates from the consumer. Muslims require Halal food. Suppliers are going to supply it. But the Grocery store is only going to buy it once. So it's easier to go all Halal...or all whatever as you point out. Non-Muslims and those without food allergies still pay.

Thus is does impose itself on society.

That's like saying your views are closer to that of Joseph Stalin and Pol Pot than mine are. Essentially meaningless.

Although I do find it hilarious that progressives who would be horrified and outraged at a 'conservative' saying he wasn't entirely comfortable with gay marriage throwing their arms around fundamentalist Muslims who thinks gays should be executed and working so desperately to get as many of them into Canada as they possibly can.

My point was that conservative values are un-Canadian, just to a lesser degree than Muslims.

Like I said, you're the missing link...

That was the bad one...acceptable casualties and such.

Please point out where anyone on this forum said those were acceptable casualties? That was your own straw man... and now you are arguing as if someone else said it! :wacko:

Please point out where anyone on this forum said those were acceptable casualties? That was your own straw man... and now you are arguing as if someone else said it! :wacko:

There is only a small amount...tiny really...of extremist Muslims who will actually pull out a weapon and shoot-up the disco. That's what I am assured.

Edited by DogOnPorch

There is only a small amount...tiny really...of extremist Muslims who will actually pull out a weapon and shoot-up the disco. That's what I am assured.

But you and I know this is not the case..... they're ALL ready to blow us up as soon as Allah tells them to... :ph34r:

I am assured that there are over a billion peaceful Muslims. So we can expect the casualty levels to be equally low.

Peaceful? Yeah right... just because they haven't done anything violent ever doesn't mean they never will... But we know those people are ready to kill us all ... at any moment.

Halal Certification in Canada is a fact. Not a lie.

Food suppliers...usually opt to certify all their products

Islam imposes itself on society.

I've taken the liberty to underline a couple words. Maybe you should read your post back to yourself until you see where the glaring contradiction is.

I've taken the liberty to underline a couple words. Maybe you should read your post back to yourself until you see where the glaring contradiction is.

As opposed to just some of their products as it adds a step.

Islam imposes itself on society by making everybody pay for Halal certification...among other ways.

As opposed to just some of their products as it adds a step.

Islam imposes itself on society by making everybody pay for Halal certification...among other ways.

I literally bought chicken at the grocery store yesterday. It was halal. You know why I picked up the halal chicken? It was cheaper than Canada prime because it was on sale.

Am I going to be deported for not supporting Canadian values now?

I literally bought chicken at the grocery store yesterday. It was halal. You know why I picked up the halal chicken? It was cheaper than Canada prime because it was on sale.

Am I going to be deported for not supporting Canadian values now?

Misrepresenting my position just makes you look more dishonest than you already are.

Right - and it's quite arguable that people who don't want to allow gay marriage are not accepting or tolerant.

Tolerance is a pretty wide label. As I said earlier, Canadians vary between how much of a given value they embrace, but for the most part they embrace those values. You can be tolerant of many things, and not believe in gay marriage. You can even be tolerant of homosexuals and still not believe it's proper for them to marry. We're not talking about a rigid application of values here. As has been noted, Canadians vary pretty widely. We're talking, as I said, not about approving of gay marriage but of approving of gay executions.

They're not on the road to become a majority. They're (the hard liners) actually very small parts of the respective populations you mentioned.

Muslims are doubling every year, and according to the polls their kids are more religious than the parents, so they're getting more conservative, getting more likely to wear hijabs and burkas, and more likely to believe in the tenets of Islam, not less. And despite what secular minded progressives seem to be determined to convince themselves of, things like gender segregation are not the province of hard-liners but are a central belief of Islam.

Most Muslims see their faith as important. Most also don't see it as contradicting what it is to be Canadian. Muslims in Canada tend to be very proud of their country.

But they also see themselves as Muslims first and Canadians second, according to polls.