Chinese multiculturalism in Richmond, BC.

taxme

17 hours ago, hernanday said:

Everyone has a right to government services in their languages.  It doesn't matter if you spent 5 years studying English, no amount of reading the dog crossed the street will allow you to understand legalistic language.

No they don't, there is no such right in Canada. We do go out of our way to accommodate our largest minorities however, which only makes sense.

3 hours ago, Wilber said:

No they don't, there is no such right in Canada. We do go out of our way to accommodate our largest minorities however, which only makes sense.

They have a human right because you have a right to communicate to government, it has nothing to do with the size of the minority.

15 hours ago, Wilber said:

Maybe it only makes sense in the short term. Imagine what Canada would be like today if, after the British conquered Quebec, they were way less accommodating towards Quebec's linguistic aspirations, and basically, over time, everyone had to convert to English. Sure would have saved an awful lot of problems, to say nothing of an awful lot of money.

I think a condominium is a private property which owned by the collective of owners. Since it is a private property, the majority of its owners have the rights to decided many things like which conversation language can be used in a collective meeting and the "Official Language" is not applied on this matter, just like if the majority of the property have decided that dogs are not allowed in the property, dogs will not be allowed even if dogs are Canadian "Official Pets" which means every Canadian governmental office should have a dog inside.:P

Another example:

If the majority of the condo are deaf persons so they used to use sign language communicating in the collective meeting, you can not tell them "I'm pure English blood, please speak English so I can understand you...":D

This is why when you buy a suit in a condominium, you need to know more about the other owners of the property. If you love dog and they hate dog, you have problem; If you are a smoker and they aren't, you have problem; If you are rich and want expensive furniture and decoration in the foyer but they are poor and won't pay a dime even if the roof is leaking, you have problem...

The official language only applies when they need to form some written documents or decision which need legal validity. For example: If there is a vote to increase maintenance fee, they need to read the motion or proposal by official language.

13 minutes ago, herples said:

It is only one strata council that is doing this and I am most confident the human rights tribunal will rule in Andreas Kargut's favor. More likely the strata will be forced to adopt English to Mandarin translations. 

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/richmond-townhouse-strata-meetings-revert-back-to-chinese-language-only-amid-human-rights-dispute

Just now, TimG said:

Then, Kargut claims that a notice was posted in the mailroom on July 27 saying that a settlement had been reached before any members of the human rights complaint had signed.

On 2/11/2017 at 8:24 PM, TimG said:

People come here who do not speak English. That is a fact of life. The only question is how to deal with it. Telling a strata corp to use only English even if the majority of residents speak another language is a violation of their free speech rights. The only reasonable requirement that the government should impose is that English has to be one of the languages used and that all documentation with legal significance must be available in English. Whether that is accomplished with the use of translators or by using English from the start is up to the strata council.

(1)Visitors to Canada are not expected to know English, although they should know some English to be able to get around. 

(2)English is the language of Canada, and the majority of those residents living in Canada should know how to speak English at any meeting. Most likely the minority in that meeting will only know and speak English. In Canada there is no need to cater to any other language but English. Immigrants coming to Canada should know how to speak the language of the country that they are immigrating too before they arrive. What would be the point of me wanting to immigrate to some Asian country to live, and not know the language before I got there? How would I survive? This constant catering to every Singh, Wong, and Abdul that comes to Canada needs to be changed. Catering to them in their own language tells them that this is all ok, and that there is no real need to know or speak English in Canada. 

(3)Apparently, the majority do not want to be reasonable, and want to do business in a foreign language, and this is happening because the government has not made it be known to these new immigrants that English will be allowed spoken at any general meeting. Host Canadians and the government needs to stop butt kissing every new immigrant that comes to this country who does not understand English. Works for me. Why are taxpayer's of Canada being forced to pay for new immigrants to learn English? Let them pay for it themselves. Gawd knows how much the Canadian taxpayer has already forked out of their tax dollars over the past several decades to feed,cloth, and house, every legal and illegal immigrant that has come to Canada. It is well into the billions. Wake up Canadians.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-02-13 at 1:43 PM, Argus said:

Maybe it only makes sense in the short term. Imagine what Canada would be like today if, after the British conquered Quebec, they were way less accommodating towards Quebec's linguistic aspirations, and basically, over time, everyone had to convert to English. Sure would have saved an awful lot of problems, to say nothing of an awful lot of money.

The British were tolerant of Quebec's language, religion and culture because they had to be. See what they continued to do in Ireland at the same time when they didn't have a land-hungry neighbour next door. 

11 hours ago, hot enough said:

How is your French?

I don't need to learn or know french in Canada. Canada should have just one official language, and that language should be English. The cost of bilingualism since it was forced upon the rest of Canada decades ago by papa trudeau has run into the tens of billions of tax dollars. Tax dollars that could have been better spent else where. 

• Downvote 1

On 2/24/2017 at 9:10 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

The British were tolerant of Quebec's language, religion and culture because they had to be. See what they continued to do in Ireland at the same time when they didn't have a land-hungry neighbour next door. 

A big mistake that the British made by tolerating french quebec, and their language and culture. And now Canada has to tolerate even more languages and cultures that keep pouring into this country. An immigration and multicultural recipe for disaster down the road. It will be just a matter of time before the turf wars begin in Canada. Who cares, eh?   

On 2/13/2017 at 11:22 AM, TimG said:

Let the AGM meetings be in English but also have a Mandarin speaking person be there to translate. This is just another prime example of what multiculturalism is doing to Canada. At one time Canada spoke English only. Then it changed to English and french only. And now another language is being added to the mix. Where will it end? Canadians must say enough already. Anyone immigrating to Canada must at least know English or accept the fact that all business in Canada will be done in English, and that they need to learn to speak English fast if they want to survive and live in Canada. Catering to all these new immigrants and their many languages will be creating language problems down the road with these new immigrants. A country that caters too and accepts all languages,religions, cultures, and traditions as equal will eventually cause a lot of friction in time. But is anybody listening? Hello politicians, you are the ones creating this mess.  

On 2/13/2017 at 11:05 AM, herples said:

It is only one strata council that is doing this and I am most confident the human rights tribunal will rule in Andreas Kargut's favor. More likely the strata will be forced to adopt English to Mandarin translations. 

I am not sure about that one. The HRC has a history of ignoring Caucasian, English-speaking, straight Christian people and their rights in favor of the ones who do not fit into any of those people mentioned above. Good luck Mr. Kargut. You will need it. 

3 hours ago, taxme said:

I don't need to learn or know french in Canada. Canada should have just one official language, and that language should be English. The cost of bilingualism since it was forced upon the rest of Canada decades ago by papa trudeau has run into the tens of billions of tax dollars. Tax dollars that could have been better spent else where. 

And first generation Chinese immigrants do not need to learn English. Their children will, as all children do. You don't even NEED to learn French if you move into a totally French community, and from the sounds of it, you wouldn't, yet here you are maligning others, telling us of their cultural insensitivity for the same thing you self describe above.. 

11 hours ago, hot enough said:

And first generation Chinese immigrants do not need to learn English. Their children will, as all children do. You don't even NEED to learn French if you move into a totally French community, and from the sounds of it, you wouldn't, yet here you are maligning others, telling us of their cultural insensitivity for the same thing you self describe above.. 

It was very obvious that those Mandarin speaking Chinese did not seem to concern themselves about showing insensitivity towards those Caucasian residents who could not understand their language now did they?  I like how many Canadians always want to stick up for people who laugh at Canadians for being the fools that they are. These Mandarin speaking immigrants were just plain showing just how rude and ignorant and intolerant they can be towards non-Asian Caucasians who have been so gracious as to let them immigrate to Canada by the millions. There are so many dumb Caucasians running around who just cannot seem to get it that they are fools and are being made fools of every day by some new neighbors. 

5 minutes ago, taxme said:

It was very obvious

[saving expensive bandwidth] I'm sure that the Chinese are well aware of the racist Canadians/Americans who have a long history of showing incredible insensitivity to Asians, and Asian immigrants. I'm sure that there is still much of it going on today. 

9 minutes ago, taxme said:

how rude and ignorant and intolerant they can be

That would be incredibly small potatoes compared to how Caucasians treated Aboriginals. 

57 minutes ago, hot enough said:

[saving expensive bandwidth] I'm sure that the Chinese are well aware of the racist Canadians/Americans who have a long history of showing incredible insensitivity to Asians, and Asian immigrants. I'm sure that there is still much of it going on today. 

That would be incredibly small potatoes compared to how Caucasians treated Aboriginals. 

Everything is always the white mans fault. Whites are all suppose to be racists. Indeed there may be some white people who are racist but we also should know by now that there are many non-whites who can be just as racist towards others as some white people can. Chinese being one of them. They never show any love towards any other race.  So, what is your point?

Yes, native indians were not exactly treated with love and tenderness by white people when they arrived in North America but native indians in many cases did not exactly show any love towards each other. Many killed each other over what I don't know. But it was White people that put an end to all that killing. No reward there. But white people did make amends and did get rid of the racist policies and programs against the natives and have been rewarded them with billions of taxpayer's tax dollars to help make up for the mistreatment of natives by whites. But of course you would not want to recognize and mention this, now would you? That would be like giving some white people some recognition for trying to make amends to the Indians. And I suppose that you still think that whites are and always will be racists even though white people have been letting in non-whites by the millions for decades now to immigrate to Canada, eh?  Yes, we white folk are just full of hate for non-whites. Wow, I did not know that. Silly foolish me. :( 

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

or Chinese immigrants they sent into the railroad tunnels to light the fuse

Oh, those terrible white folk back then. In those days things were done differently then how they are done today. Today they now send white men into the tunnels instead while the Chinese immigrants of today most likely are doing the paper work in a nice clean office away from getting blown up. Oh my, how times have changed for old whitey today. . 

20 minutes ago, taxme said:

Chinese being one of them. They never show any love towards any other race.  So, what is your point?

What a sweeping, general statement, exactly the definition of, 

racial discrimination

" discriminationunfair treatment or bias against someone or a group of people on the basis of their race

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/racial-discrimination

9 minutes ago, hot enough said:

What a sweeping, general statement, exactly the definition of, 

racial discrimination

" discriminationunfair treatment or bias against someone or a group of people on the basis of their race

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/racial-discrimination

Obviously, you don't get out much, do you? I think that you should do a lot more reading and research. There are many Chinese who despise Koreans. I know this for a fact. because my son had a Korean friend who hated Chinese, and the Chinese hated Koreans. They showed and had no love for each other. So, Chinese can be just as racist as white people can. But for some weird reason most white people want to only point out that whites are the racists of the world. Racism is pretty much everywhere.  Live with it. 

34 minutes ago, taxme said:

Oh, those terrible white folk back then. In those days things were done differently then how they are done today. Today they now send white men into the tunnels instead while the Chinese immigrants of today most likely are doing the paper work in a nice clean office away from getting blown up. Oh my, how times have changed for old whitey today. . 

No, they would be sending in robots...

...made in China

18 hours ago, taxme said:

A big mistake that the British made by tolerating french quebec, and their language and culture. And now Canada has to tolerate even more languages and cultures that keep pouring into this country. An immigration and multicultural recipe for disaster down the road. It will be just a matter of time before the turf wars begin in Canada. Who cares, eh?   

The two situations are different. Britain faced the prospect of an American invasion and could not afford disunity on the home front. I think Canada has worked out darn well, in the league of Switzerland and Belgium which have not exactly been hell on earth either despite being multilingual. 

We have choices to make now about how much change we can manage. All is not yet lost by any means.