Chinese multiculturalism in Richmond, BC.

taxme

At website Immigration Watch Canada, there was a story written on how a resident in a condo complex in Richmond, BC. was told that all AGM's(annual general meetings)will be conducted in Mandarin only. This was voted in by the majority of Asians who own most of the condos in the complex. Is this what Canadian multiculturalism is all about and has been telling these Asians all along that they can totally ignore one of the main official languages in their meetings? I can understand if all the owners in this complex of condos were Asian and all of them spoke Mandarin but this is not the case.

So, just what the hell is going on here? Is this Canada or is this China? How dare these Asians tell other condo owners where no doubt some are Caucasian and speak English only that all meetings will be held in Mandarin only. One of the condo owners who is being affected by this is now taking this to the Human Rights Commission(whom I would never trust for fairness). This is a multicultural case for the HRC and I don't believe that this woman will win with them. It is my belief from seeing other HRC decisions believes that they will support the Asians. But we will wait and see for now.

So, for those of you who believe that multiculturalism is suppose to be a wonderful and great thing for Canada, and that no one will be treated differently, all will be treated equally, can now see that with some of these alien foreign people this will not be so.

As a Canadian I am offended and insulted by this action, and I would call it an act of racism, and I believe that this program and agenda called multiculturalism is nothing more but a big farce. It is not meant for the host Canadians but is there to promote others and their ways of doing things on the host Canadian people. This is just unbelievable.

So,what say you? Care to comment? Over.

Source:Immigration Watch Canada website.

• Like 1

At website Immigration Watch Canada, there was a story written on how a resident in a condo complex in Richmond, BC. was told that all AGM's(annual general meetings)will be conducted in Mandarin only.

I believe this issue has been resolved with translation services provided as required for the language an owner is most comfortable with. No link cause, "we found a compromise and solved our problem" is not headline material. Edited by TimG

I believe this issue has been resolved with translation services provided as required for the language an owner is most comfortable with. No link cause, "we found a compromise and solved our problem" is not headline material.

Translation services in Chinese, as this is an English (and French in Quebec) speaking country, right?

The problem with multiculturalism when you have the constant pipeline of immigrants that we do, is that it becomes uniculturalism fairly quickly the more move into an area.

Translation services in Chinese, as this is an English (and French in Quebec) speaking country, right?

I don't see distinction as being meaningful. I would assume that the translation services are both way between English and Mandarin as required since some people attending the meeting don't understand one language or the other.

If people want to have meetings in mandarin, let them.

The issue is not all owners speak Mandarin therefore all board meetings open to all owners and all documentation produced by the board (e.g. meeting minutes) must be available in the common language (e.g. English). This can be accomplished by hiring translation services. It is simply not reasonable to tell non-board member owners that they are SOL if they don't speak Mandarin. Edited by TimG

Perhaps not everyone speaks english either?

Doesn't matter. English the language of law in BC. Any disputes sent to the courts or arbitration panels will be handled in English. It is the default common language for use when people do not speak the same language. Edited by TimG

We aren't even talking about some government institution.

We are talking about a corporation that exists to represent the interests of the owners. Every owner has a right to expect that the business of the corporation will be available to them in English because that is the language used in the condo bylaws and that is the language that will be used to resolve any disputes. This is about protecting the rights of owners.

This does not require that the condo board speak English . It only requires adequate translation services if they wish to use a language other than English.

Edited by TimG

We aren't even talking about some government institution. We are talking about a condo complex.

I swear, you're almost as bad as the language fascists in Quebec.

Actually, the authority of the strata councils is granted by the Provincial government and they require the written business be conducted in English. Edited by The_Squid

We need some controls in this country before it is out of control. Want to speak another language. go where that language is used. I am sick and tired of this country giving in to every immigrants complaint.

We need some controls in this country before it is out of control. Want to speak another language. go where that language is used. I am sick and tired of this country giving in to every immigrants complaint.

But Mandarin is used in Canada, as well as many other languages.

All I see are a bunch of upset language fascists complaining about nothing.

Really? Please point me to a Canadian law published in Mandarin that is not simply a translation of the French or English original. Please point me to court where the presiding judge listens to cases in Mandarin and writes judgments in Mandarin. English is the language of the law in BC and any legal dispute between people who do not share a common language must be conducted in English. It follows that any documents or meetings which could affect the rights of owners defined under the terms of a law written in English must be provided in English. The only thing that should be optional is whether the English is provided directly or with the help of professional translation services. Edited by TimG

I don't see distinction as being meaningful. I would assume that the translation services are both way between English and Mandarin as required since some people attending the meeting don't understand one language or the other.

One of the official languages in this country is English, and anyone who immigrates from a non-English speaking country should bloody well learn fast or know the English language. All levels of governments should not be catering to any other language except English, and maybe some french, with Canadian taxpayer's tax dollars. There should be laws implemented where it says that only English or french signs can be posted on commercial businesses. We are starting to see what damage multiculturalism is starting to create. New immigrants are starting to treat the English language as insignificant in this country. It's incredible how many businesses in Richmond have signs up in Chinese only. A visitor to this country could certainly believe that Canada is an Asian speaking country when one walks around in the streets of downtown Richmond.

I said used. Used doesn't mean a law has to be written in that language. I have friends that use mandarin, friends that use cantonese, friends that use arabic. Whatever, just let people speak what they want.

Speak those languages at home where they belong. Not on commercial or street signs as some Canadian cities have done. If you came here to become Canadian than become one. Don't bring your culture and language and traditions with you. Keep them at home.

If people want to have meetings in mandarin, let them.

Let people speak whatever language they want to speak. Don't be such an authoritarian control freak.

Sure, so one lives in a condo complex, and the council members start speaking in Mandarin only. As an English-speaking person who knows only English, what good is that to me? What did the person speaking Mandarin just say? Did he just insult me in his Mandarin language? What if any are they maybe trying to scheme up here? I wouldn't know. Multiculturalists never seem to get it that multiculturalism only will divide people, not unite them. If one believes otherwise then they are a fool, and will be treated like one by those multiculturalist pushers. Speak English, no problems.

All I see are a bunch of upset language fascists complaining about nothing.

Tell that to those people living in that condo complex if Mandarin is working well for them? It's the fascists multicultural pushers that are the problem, and not the people that are getting pushed.

Perhaps not everyone speaks english either?

I guess I'm just far more liberal about the usage of language. Let people speak whatever language they want.

If you are living in Canada learn the English language. It is not up to the host Canadians to have to learn their language. It is liberalism that is creating all the problems like this one in Richmond. Liberals were the ones who changed our immigration policy back in the sixties and they decided in their stupid wisdom to declare Canada to be now a multicultural country. We are starting to see what this stupid agenda and program called mutliculturalism is starting to create. It is only going to get worse as time goes on if we don't scrap this multicult nonsense soon.

• 5 months later...
On 8/25/2016 at 4:36 PM, TimG said:
On 8/25/2016 at 4:31 PM, Vega said:

English is an official language in Canada. It is the language of the country. If an immigrant who comes here from wherever and they cannot understand English well what are they doing here? Their priority before they came to Canada should have been to learn the langauge of that country. They should not be catered to as things today are done in Canada I don't want to be living in a condo or townhouse complex and having to listen to another foreign language being spoken at any meeting. Only in Canada does this appear to be the norm. These immigrants can get away with this because Canadians are too cowardly to speak up and say something. They just carry on with their politically correct ways. 

2 hours ago, taxme said:

If an immigrant who comes here from wherever and they cannot understand English well what are they doing here?

People come here who do not speak English. That is a fact of life. The only question is how to deal with it. Telling a strata corp to use only English even if the majority of residents speak another language is a violation of their free speech rights. The only reasonable requirement that the government should impose is that English has to be one of the languages used and that all documentation with legal significance must be available in English. Whether that is accomplished with the use of translators or by using English from the start is up to the strata council.

Edited by TimG

On 2016-08-26 at 4:07 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

I said used. Used doesn't mean a law has to be written in that language. I have friends that use mandarin, friends that use cantonese, friends that use arabic. Whatever, just let people speak what they want.

Strata minutes are legal documents. They have to be published in English in BC. Mandarin to if they like but always in English. As far as the language used in meetings is concerned, everyone needs to know what is going on whether directly or through a translator.