police shootings in US and Obama's comments

As you all are aware we have had two shootings in the US one in Baton Rouge the other in Minniapolis, Minnestoa.

Emotions are high.

The President who whether he likes it or not is the leader of the nation made a comment that the shootings were not isolated and are indicative of systemic racism in policing.

First off I always found the word "systemic" to be one of the most over-used and meaningless of words. No one knows what it means. Its a generalize stereotype when used. The way Obama uses it, its a sweeping stereotype that all police are racist.

Its used to express an unproven, subjective allegation that asks you to assume something wide-spread and in this case racism.

Now if I were to use a stereotype to say a negative thing about all black people. we'd call it racism. Say it about all police couching it with the word systemic. and its acceptable.

I don't buy that and I think once again Obama has acted in an absolutely irresponsible manner stating a sweeping condemnation of police he knows, he absolutely knows will inflame and incite anger.

At a time of crisis the leader of the nation has a responsibility to calm people down. Even if what he said is true, his timing is absolutely irresponsible and will most certainly be construed and used by people with bad agendas to push their causes using these shootings as the pretext.

I say this. In the weeks to come tempers will flare. Its the summer. People are out on the street and in urban centres in the US there are a higher concentration of black people in certain urban centres. Police driving in cars and cacooned from the street will look out their windows.

Police on foot walking have a different perspective then officers in cars. In cars, There is a very real distancing that promotes the solitudes and the us against them feelings between the police and the public.

Then add to that the reality that most police do not live in the neighbourhoods they patrol and it adds to that us against them siege mentality.

Is their racism? Everyone is racist. Sow hat does that mean when you call white police officers racist against blacks. Do they do what they do to blacks because they are black or because of other reasons. How would any of us know the difference.

So for example if you were a police officer making a a stop, and someone reached into their pocket and you thought he had a gun do you shoot because of that reason, or because that civilian is black?

With the man in Baton Rouge police were screaming he has a gun, Did he? Did they over-react because they thought there was a gun or solely because he was black? Does anyone know?

The problem is, emotions are triggered. The moment a black man is shot, blacks and I am not blaming them, have a reaction the person was shot because they were black not because of any other reason.

Its a strong subjective reaction but who tells the black community, maybe the killings are not simply because the person was black but because of poor training, panicked officers, fear of a gun being used that might have got anyone of any colour killed?

Is anyone calm enough to understand that possibility?

Well you would think the President would say-people, calm down. Its painful. I know you are afraid and frightened. Let's stay calm and find out what happened. Let's try learn from this. Let's work together to find solutions.

No not Bam Bam. He's a lame duck and he's soon to return to being a civilian and all he gives a damn about is his legacy. He's been called a sell out by many blacks and I believe he's used these shootings to say something popular to blacks in a time of extreme emotion to get him some brownie points for when he leaves office.

I question his judgement, his words and I think they were crass, opportunistic and designed to make himself look black after years of being accused of acting white by blacks.

No one wants to see people killed. I would argue though jumping to conclusions as so many are based on facebook and videos is not the way to find out what happened.

The person in Baton Rouge interestingly was depicted as a hard working man selling cd's to help his kids. Now new stories refer to him as being a convicted sex offender living in a half way home. Should that matter?

My point is the press reports things in a way that can be bias against or for blacks, against or for police.

As for Obama, I think he is what he always was, someone who thinks himself a black activist militant but had no problem sucking the white tit of the White House to get what he was given. His sudden black militancy is oh so convenient.

Its no different than the day after that massacre in Orlando when Trump complemented himself on being right about Muslim terrorists.

Politicians can be crass.

As you all are aware we have had two shootings in the US one in Baton Rouge the other in Minniapolis, Minnestoa.

Close enough....the police shooting in Minnesota was actually in Falcon Heights, a suburb closer to St. Paul...not Minneapolis, which had it's own high profile police shooting last year.

Emotions are high.

Yes....very high...reminds me of the Spike Lee movie....Do The Right Thing.

As discussed before, law enforcement shoots and kills about 500 people each year in the United States.

But now we have smart phones to watch it live.

The President who whether he likes it or not is the leader of the nation made a comment that the shootings were not isolated and are indicative of systemic racism in policing.

First off I always found the word "systemic" to be one of the most over-used and meaningless of words. No one knows what it means. Its a generalize stereotype when used. The way Obama uses it, its a sweeping stereotype that all police are racist.

Its used to express an unproven, subjective allegation that asks you to assume something wide-spread and in this case racism.

Now if I were to use a stereotype to say a negative thing about all black people. we'd call it racism. Say it about all police couching it with the word systemic. and its acceptable.

I don't buy that and I think once again Obama has acted in an absolutely irresponsible manner stating a sweeping condemnation of police he knows, he absolutely knows will inflame and incite anger.

Well you would think the President would say-people, calm down. Its painful. I know you are afraid and frightened. Let's stay calm and find out what happened. Let's try learn from this. Let's work together to find solutions.

No not Bam Bam. He's a lame duck and he's soon to return to being a civilian and all he gives a damn about is his legacy. He's been called a sell out by many blacks and I believe he's used these shootings to say something popular to blacks in a time of extreme emotion to get him some brownie points for when he leaves office.

I question his judgement, his words and I think they were crass, opportunistic and designed to make himself look black after years of being accused of acting white by blacks.

As for Obama, I think he is what he always was, someone who thinks himself a black activist militant but had no problem sucking the white tit of the White House to get what he was given. His sudden black militancy is oh so convenient.

you can write a brazillion words but somehow can't manage to actually quote/link to what you claim U.S. President Barack Obama stated. Imagine that! Until you put forward a quote that aligns with your screed, I call BS. Here... let me quote you something he actually stated... something that busts your BS narrative, big time!

“All Americans should be deeply troubled by the fatal shootings of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. We’ve seen such tragedies far too many times, and our hearts go out to the families and communities who’ve suffered such a painful loss.

“Although I am constrained in commenting on the particular facts of these cases, I am encouraged that the U.S. Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation in Baton Rouge, and I have full confidence in their professionalism and their ability to conduct a thoughtful, thorough, and fair inquiry.

“But regardless of the outcome of such investigations, what’s clear is that these fatal shootings are not isolated incidents. They are symptomatic of the broader challenges within our criminal justice system, the racial disparities that appear across the system year after year, and the resulting lack of trust that exists between law enforcement and too many of the communities they serve.

“To admit we’ve got a serious problem in no way contradicts our respect and appreciation for the vast majority of police officers who put their lives on the line to protect us every single day. It is to say that, as a nation, we can and must do better to institute the best practices that reduce the appearance or reality of racial bias in law enforcement.

“That’s why, two years ago, I set up a Task Force on 21st Century Policing that convened police officers, community leaders, and activists. Together, they came up with detailed recommendations on how to improve community policing. So even as officials continue to look into this week’s tragic shootings, we also need communities to address the underlying fissures that lead to these incidents, and to implement those ideas that can make a difference. That’s how we’ll keep our communities safe. And that’s how we can start restoring confidence that all people in this great nation are equal before the law.

“In the meantime, all Americans should recognize the anger, frustration, and grief that so many Americans are feeling — feelings that are being expressed in peaceful protests and vigils. Michelle and I share those feelings. Rather than fall into a predictable pattern of division and political posturing, let’s reflect on what we can do better. Let’s come together as a nation, and keep faith with one another, in order to ensure a future where all of our children know that their lives matter.”

Edited by waldo

It's hard to take you seriously when you are dismissing the issue of systemic racism against black people, rue.

Because in other threads, you accuse everyone inappropriately of racism against Jews.

Your creds are very weak here.

So for example if you were a police officer making a a stop, and someone reached into their pocket and you thought he had a gun do you shoot because of that reason, or because that civilian is black?

Context matters:

If you just asked him for his ID, maybe you should just let him get it out of his pocket.

Duh.

Edited by jacee

I just finished watching his live broadcast from Warsaw, so I am not sure what you are talking about. There was absolutely nothing about being a black activist militant, if you got that then I think the problem is yours and not his. Yes, he is addressing a very difficult subject. Are you suggesting that he hide his head in the sand and ignore it?

Where did you see his earlier statement about systemic racism in policing? There is an earlier statement that includes "They are symptomatic of the broader challenges within our criminal justice system, the racial disparities that appear across the system year after year, and the resulting lack of trust that exists between law enforcement and too many of the communities they serve." That is a very different meaning than what you are stating.

When the police lose the consent of the governed there will be anarchy. Pretty soon you'll have groups running offence against the police. It's turning into a war.

Sure...it's a "war"....and the police are winning. "Fight the Power !! "

(but please don't disrupt our Pride parades)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Sure does...concealed firearm changes all that...regardless of race.

A cop can kill someone who tells you he has a legal (concealed carry) firearm?

Are you f'n for real?!!!

You're defending that murdering pig?!!!

You people are f'n nuts.

The cop asked him for ID ...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/

He let the officer know that he had a firearm and he was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm," Reynolds said as she broadcast the Wednesday evening shooting on Facebook.

He had been pulled over for a broken taillight, Reynolds explained on the Facebook video. He told the officer he was armed and had a concealed carry permit, she said. Her daughter, 4, was in the back seat.

As Philando Castile's head slumps backward while he lies dying next to her, Diamond Reynolds looks into the camera and explains a Minnesota police officer just shot her fiancé four times.

Gee ... Why did the pig shoot him 4 times?

Because he wasn't dead enough?

Edited by jacee

When the police lose the consent of the governed there will be anarchy. Pretty soon you'll have groups running offence against the police. It's turning into a war.

There is no other way.

The police refuse to police themselves.

They harbour and cover for criminal cops.

"If it's only 'a few bad apples', why don't the good apples speak up?"

Because they're afraid they'll get murdered?

Are you?

BC has mentioned a few times that he is black. I'm trying to analyze his responses with his background. I suspect he has reported me although I wonder why you would get involved?

And no. I am a white herterosexual woman. Must to the surprise of Betsy.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

BC has mentioned a few times that he is black. I'm trying to analyze his responses with his background.

What difference would it make?

...although I wonder why you would get involved?

Because it's a public forum....

You do realize that everyone can see and participate in your conversation, don't you??

Edited by The_Squid

It's hard to take you seriously when you are dismissing the issue of systemic racism against black people, rue.

Because in other threads, you accuse everyone inappropriately of racism against Jews.

Your creds are very weak here.

Rue, I'm with jacee. You appear like a hypocrite here, based on your broad accusations of anti-semitism of those who criticize the actions of Israel.

I'm not excusing anything these police have done, but it's also i'm sure very difficult to not become racist as a police officer when statistically black people will have higher rates of committing crimes than whites because of their lower economic status (poverty and crime rates are closely correlated).

You see one group of people constantly in trouble more than others and it's easy to start assuming things and profiling. It's wrong of course, and police need much better training on how to avoid doing this, and how to treat everyone equally as individuals of their own merit unless evidence to the contrary.

I just finished watching his live broadcast from Warsaw, so I am not sure what you are talking about. There was absolutely nothing about being a black activist militant, if you got that then I think the problem is yours and not his.

Just more bleating, wretching and moaning from our resident Jewish supremacist.