police shootings in US and Obama's comments

I got that, I'm talking about what "group" is the most likely one to commit violence against blacks? Could it be that other blacks kill more blacks then the police (not including a black police showing out for the white cop)?

Who cares, we're talking about copy's killing black people in a much higher rate than any other race. Stay on topic please.

Who cares, we're talking about copy's killing black people in a much higher rate than any other race. Stay on topic please.

I am on topic, if statistically black-on-black crime is a far greater concern then police-on-black violence, its understandable why the police are more likely to use violence against blacks.

---------

Has there been any video released before the shooting in Minnesota? I mean, look how Ferguson played out in the end........the police were justified in their shooting.....

I am on topic, if statistically black-on-black crime is a far greater concern then police-on-black violence, its understandable why the police are more likely to use violence against blacks.

This is an important distinction....so called urban communities deserve and expect police protection from perps just like anyplace else. "Black" citizens also arm themselves (like this person's concealed carry permit). More guns are just part of the arms race.

Has there been any video released before the shooting in Minnesota? I mean, look how Ferguson played out in the end........the police were justified in their shooting.....

Not yet....Ferguson was a fine example of getting the story wrong. "Hands up...don't shoot ! "

Edited by bush_cheney2004

WTF. Police shot a subdued black men four times in the chest. They shot another one, with no record might I add (which they'd know as they were pulling him over) one day later! Over a traffic stop.

The fact that there is violence in the black community does not give the police the right to shoot more black people! Are you seriously saying that?

Not yet....Ferguson was a fine example of getting the story wrong. "Hands up...don't shoot ! "

Exactly, I'm not prepared to hang the cop until all the facts are known.......if he screwed up, hoist him by his own petard.

Exactly, I'm not prepared to hang the cop until all the facts are known.......if he screwed up, hoist him by his own petard.

Right....the cops gets due process just like perps. During concealed carry permit classes, the instructors spend a lot of time elaborating on the risks and down side of carrying firearms, including the reactions of police officers.

WTF. Police shot a subdued black men four times in the chest. They shot another one, with no record might I add (which they'd know as they were pulling him over) one day later! Over a traffic stop.

Was the first one in Baton Rouge? Didn't hear much about that one.

The second guy at the traffic stop, from all that I've seen/heard reported, is that little has been said on why the officer shot him.......again, I won't hang the cop until I see the dashcam or hear more evidence.

The fact that there is violence in the black community does not give the police the right to shoot more black people! Are you seriously saying that?

I never said it gave them any right, I said its understandable.........if the majority of violent crime committed in a given community is by blacks (against other blacks) I can understand why police would react more forcefully then they might to a white or Chinese male in the same situation.

....I never said it gave them any right, I said its understandable.........if the majority of violent crime committed in a given community is by blacks (against other blacks) I can understand why police would react more forcefully then they might to a white or Chinese male in the same situation.

Agreed....the behavioural risk with firearms is greater for police and citizens alike. Chicago (and other cities) are still struggling with this issue.

Right....the cops gets due process just like perps. During concealed carry permit classes, the instructors spend a lot of time elaborating on the risks and down side of carrying firearms, including the reactions of police officers.

Exactly, and they have for decades......inform the cop once he's pulled you over and follow the officers directions to a tee......for all we know, this young black man didn't tell the cop and the cop saw the gun (bulge), young black man went to grab his ID and got popped......like I said, until there is more evidence, its pure speculation.

A friend of mine once told me that if you get pulled over for speeding in the States, put both hands over the top of the steering wheel as the officer approaches your car. He'll love you for it and probably let you off with a warning.

Exactly, and they have for decades......inform the cop once he's pulled you over and follow the officers directions to a tee......for all we know, this young black man didn't tell the cop and the cop saw the gun (bulge), young black man went to grab his ID and got popped......like I said, until there is more evidence, its pure speculation.

I'm still waiting for more details, but based on what we know, the Falcon Heights shooting of a "good guy" was the result of quick police reaction to the perceived threat from a legal firearm. It was avoidable if the victim had taken more steps to de-escalate the threat:

How to Handle a Traffic Stop with a Concealed Carry Gun

There is an inherent elevated risk and conflict between law enforcement and gun rights.

A friend of mine once told me that if you get pulled over for speeding in the States, put both hands over the top of the steering wheel as the officer approaches your car. He'll love you for it and probably let you off with a warning.

This is true....the cop just wants to do his thing and go home to his family each night. Always keep hands in plain sight and don't go fumbling around for stuff in the car.

I am on topic, if statistically black-on-black crime is a far greater concern then police-on-black violence, its understandable why the police are more likely to use violence against blacks.....

This is an off topic red herring. "Black on black crime" does not absolve the police of their responsibility when they're disproportionately murdering unarmed nlack people. Give your head a shake if you think there's any kind of equivalency between a cop murdering someone during a traffic stop and gang violence in places like Chicago.

Exactly, I'm not prepared to hang the cop until all the facts are known.....

Screw your dog whistle BS. "Let's gather all the facts," as if you give a damn about the facts of police brutality towards black people. You're just waiting for information that you can use to spin this to blame the victims. And it's pretty f'ing rich too coming from the resident NRA fanboy. Why aren't you and your peers defending the right to carry and the fact that one of these men had ZERO criminal record and was legally carrying a firearm. Or does your gun rights crusade only apply to white people?

If you're white.

Is it really that tough for you to see how disproportionate that is? Cops killed more ethnic minorities than white people when white people make up 72.4% of the US population. There's no sense even having the discussion when you refuse to get it. Absolute numbers are a red herring when white people make up the vast majority of the population.

I'm leaving this here for anyone who actually gives a crap about the problem. Unarmed black men are far more likely to be shot and killed by cops than white people. The data is plain as day. https://thesocietypages.org/toolbox/police-killing-of-blacks/

Is it really that tough for you to see how disproportionate that is? Cops killed more ethnic minorities than white people when white people make up 72.4% of the US population. There's no sense even having the discussion when you refuse to get it. Absolute numbers are a red herring when white people make up the vast majority of the population.

Actually, the "cop in the hood" analysis (linked article) debunks your common refrain and bias.

I'm leaving this here for anyone who actually gives a crap about the problem. Unarmed black men are far more likely to be shot and killed by cops than white people. The data is plain as day. https://thesocietypages.org/toolbox/police-killing-of-blacks/

Still doesn't explain the lack of outrage for all shooting victims, not just the "black" ones.

Because black men are 9 times more likely to be killed than white men.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young

And men are 16 x more likely to be killed than women.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

Seems like the sex component is bigger than the race component.

But people ignore it, since reality doesn't agree with the 'men privileged, women oppressed' narrative.

Why are police having a disproportionate amount of violent interactions with non whites? Gee, I can't figure it out! It must be racism!

Nonwhites commit 92 percent of all violent crime in New York City, and are responsible for 98 percent of all shootings, 91 percent of all firearm arrests, 88 percent of all drug arrests, 84 percent of all stolen property arrests, and 88 percent of all misdemeanor sexual offenses, the city’s police department has reported.

http://newobserveronline.com/new-york-nonwhites-commit-92-of-violent-crime/