America under President Trump

55 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Well, Buffett is more of an investor and Gates is more of an inventor.  Trump is a developer - of course he has questionable deals on his resume.  Trump has spent his life dealing with shakedowns from labour unions and the mob, inspectors and other developers.  Yeah, it's not hard to criticize Trump, but you have to have a certain understanding of what people are...and especially why.

Yep I do have an understanding of why people don't pay what they owe. I got shafted for $160 bucks when I was a kid on summer holidays by a guy who did a similar deal to some of Trumps, only on a smaller scale. So go ahead and give your idea what other way I should "understand" that. 

8 hours ago, Omni said:

Yep I do have an understanding of why people don't pay what they owe. I got shafted for $160 bucks when I was a kid on summer holidays by a guy who did a similar deal to some of Trumps, only on a smaller scale. So go ahead and give your idea what other way I should "understand" that. 

People like this really piss me off. People do work for you, they get paid. Period! Them getting paid is your problem, not theirs.

11 hours ago, Wilber said:

It's her charity, I'm not accusing her of profiting personally but she is the founder, it bears her name and she uses her position in government and relationship to the POTUS to solicit funds for it. 

Why would a government that is notorious for minimalizing women,  donate 100 million to a foundation dedicated to advancing women in society if it didn't expect to get something out of it?

The UN seems to be Ok with gender equality in Saudi Arabia

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/04/un-think-saudi-arabia-can-teach-us-gender-equality/#

20 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Now, if the Saudi's gave 100$million to Ivanka's foundation and Trump signed a deal for America or americans to BUY FROM THEM, that would be the Clinton formula and again - corrupt. 

It is clearly an effort to influence future government policy as the Saudis will now expect that if they call up Ivanka she will listen carefully and pass their desires on to her dad.

11 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

Something tells me "trump screws contractors" is gonna come back somewhat bias.

That said, what I do know about business and business people is that in every community, the local businessmen are all considered "bad guys".

Simply no true. Lots of local business guys are much admired in their local communities. That's certainly been the case in Ottawa with the high tech business guys, as well as local entrepreneurs and retailers.

11 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

I guarantee that it's better to be on Trumps side in a business deal than against him - this bodes well for the Americans.

No, it's better to have nothing whatsoever to do with Trump and his businesses. He's screwed over any number of people who have partnered or invested with him.

You gotta love this guy:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/wilbur-ross-revels-in-protestor-free-saudi-arabia-not-one-guy-with-a-bad-placard/

“I think the other thing that was fascinating to me, there was not a single hint of a protestor anywhere there during the whole time we were there.” Ross said. “Not one guy with a bad placard.”

I guess he never looked too closely into the reasons.  What an absolute moron.  How come he holds a position with more responsibility than cleaning out a stable?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-behead-disabled-man-munir-adam-protests-forced-confession-torture-death-sentence-court-a7758041.html

32 minutes ago, Argus said:

Simply no true. Lots of local business guys are much admired in their local communities. That's certainly been the case in Ottawa with the high tech business guys, as well as local entrepreneurs and retailers.

No, it's better to have nothing whatsoever to do with Trump and his businesses. He's screwed over any number of people who have partnered or invested with him.

Obviously I'm not talking about those people.  I'm referring to the top few business people that every city has.

18 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

I agree, but the left sure do rely on their judgement.

That's probably because you, and I suspect Argus as well, actually know little if anything about what the UN has done in the world. They are not perfect by any means, I know as I have worked for them, but because of their peacekeeping efforts, there are a lot of people alive who wouldn't be without those blue helmets doing what they do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

That's probably because you, and I suspect Argus as well, actually know little if anything about what the UN has done in the world. They are not perfect by any means, I know as I have worked for them, but because of their peacekeeping efforts, there are a lot of people alive who wouldn't be without those blue helmets doing what they do.

Same with Americans, but you think Trump's a clown, right?

3 minutes ago, Omni said:

Well, maybe you have an opinion on why 47 UN countries voted to install SA on the women's rights commission.  You've been railing on the hypocrisy of SA giving money for women entrepreneurs, so you must have a pretty solid explanation for your disparity in beliefs.  

7 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Same with Americans, but you think Trump's a clown, right?

Who doesn't think Trump is a clown? From what I have heard, even a lot of people who voted for him did so while holding their noses because they were hoping he would follow through with his promise to create jobs. Especially in the rust belt.

Just now, Omni said:

Who doesn't think Trump is a clown? From what I have heard, even a lot of people who voted for him did so while holding their noses because they were hoping he would follow through with his promise to create jobs. Especially in the rust belt.

Well yes, but my point is that often, the laudable actions of those on the ground do not speak to utter fruit loopiness of those in charge.  Such is the case with the UN as well, when it comes to putting the Kingdom on the Women's Rights group. 

In fact, given my first post on this page, I'm surprised the UN hasn't put them on the Disabled Rights group too. 

11 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Well, maybe you have an opinion on why 47 UN countries voted to install SA on the women's rights commission.  You've been railing on the hypocrisy of SA giving money for women entrepreneurs, so you must have a pretty solid explanation for your disparity in beliefs.  

It seems an odd mix of course, but what it really does is shine a spotlight on how SA is progressing, or not with respect to women's rights. If they show no progress they can as easily be voted out. 

5 minutes ago, Omni said:

Clearly the NATO partners don't think he's a clown.  It's major headlines that he didn't shout "all for one and one for all" during his speech.  One can only take away from that that the entire world is saying "please say you'll protect us Mr. Trump, won't you...huh?".  Say what you will about Trump, but every picture, every video with the NATO group was of Trump and everyone else around him.  Was "Justin from Canada" even there? 

P.S - I hate to play in to BC' M.O, but that's the truth.   

On 5/25/2017 at 2:43 PM, Omni said:

The courts understand the constitution, Trump, and obviously you do not. Trump will continue to lose until he reads up a little bit. Maybe you should as well.

The courts don't understand either. That is how the PATRIOT ACT (Bush) and the NDAA (Obama) got passed.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

I don't mean to sound like a Trump defender, because that's the last thing I'd do, but I think that real-estate and construction is a completely different ballgame.

From what I've read, you couldn't even build an outhouse in New York City in the 1980s without the mob getting a piece. That's the kind of environment Trump was working in, a ruthless, cut-throat world where everybody was trying to get a piece of your action. And while Trump has been accused of stiffing people who worked on his projects, declaring bankruptcy so that he could pay people pennies on the dollar for their services... I have to say that's not exactly unheard of among real estate developers. It happens more than you'd think, unfortunately.

I think that just the nature of the game practically ensures that developers like Trump are going to be a lot less popular than tech entrepreneurs.

-k