Are we going to admit Universities are producing thin-skinned people?

Boges

14 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Bonham mentioned shutting down the debate.  It sounded like he was trying to describe something unreasonable.

I wanted to know what the debate is, and how they shut it down.

If there is a conspiracy afoot, and people here know their methods then we are obliged to reveal them.  Like Islamists I assume.

There is no debate, because it is always shut down before it can even happen. But what would the debate be about? All the aspects of social justice crap that we see at universities. Safe spaces. Microaggressions. Trigger warnings. Bathrooms and pronouns. Affirmative action. Rape culture. Patriarchy. Institutionalized racism. White privilege. Voice your disagreement with the prescribed view on issues like this and you will be seen as the enemy and met with insults, ostracism, hatred, and in many cases official disciplinary action. For example, look at the torrent of insults cybercoma is unleashing on TimG in this thread for questioning the need for dozens of made up pronouns... and here it's just cybercoma, but on campuses it is the entire weight of the establishment that targets anyone who strays from the path.

52 minutes ago, Bonam said:

For example, look at the torrent of insults cybercoma is unleashing on TimG in this thread for questioning the need for dozens of made up pronouns... and here it's just cybercoma, but on campuses it is the entire weight of the establishment that targets anyone who strays from the path.

Here's what that innocent snowflake TimG said which set off cybercoma:

The issue is arrogant a**holes who think they can make up new words and force other people to use them. It takes a special kind of narcissist to believe they are entitled to special pronouns.

But yeah, sure, it was all cybercoma trying to shut down the debate using insults.  

Just now, Boges said:

I don't think language evolves through mandatory edicts from Universities forcing people to use certain pronouns. 

Language as it pertains to respect and equality evolves through social revolutions and this is just one form of it.  

Feudal system titles, using n-word or 'boy', all these things went into the dustbin of time the same way duality of gender will one day end up in the same dust bin while some of you fight on the wrong side of history.

4 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

Language as it pertains to respect and equality evolves through social revolutions and this is just one form of it.  

Feudal system titles, using n-word or 'boy', all these things went into the dustbin of time the same way duality of gender will one day end up in the same dust bin while some of you fight on the wrong side of history.

Those words certainly didn't become unacceptable in polite company because some University administrator sent out a memo. 

39 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

No, the "n-word" (i.e. "nigger", "nigga", "niggaz", etc.) and "boy" only went into the dustbin for certain social contexts, not general usage.   The words are still quite popular and in regular usage for personal communications,  terms of endearment, self segregation, literature, song lyrics, etc., by the very people they are intended to disparage.

History doesn't have any sides.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

1 hour ago, BC_chick said:

This is not a social revolution. It is temper tantrum by infantile narcissists who think they are "special" and deserve special pronouns to match their egos. If this was simply about changing the language to reflex the complexities of biology we would be talking about exactly one additional pronoun - or the elimination of 'she/her' pronoun like they eliminated the feminine form of job titles like 'actress'.

Edited by TimG

18 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What is'the debate' ?

Are we going to admit that universities infantalise students and turn them into weepy, whiny, entitled people who need safe zones to keep away from opinions which they disagree with. I don't see how the conversation has veered from that of the title of this thread.

12 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

No it's about a professor who has stated he refuses to use any pronouns other than  gendered ones assigned by birth. 

That is not what he said. Try looking at his words:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.3786140/i-m-not-a-bigot-meet-the-u-of-t-prof-who-refuses-to-use-genderless-pronouns-1.3786144

He said he will use the pronouns that he think makes sense. I presume that means he would make some judgement based on the look of the person which may have nothing to do with what gender they were assigned at birth.

I thought this was an interesting comment:

think that the continual careless pushing of people by left wing radicals is dangerously waking up the right wing. So you can consider this a prophecy from me if you want. Inside the collective is a beast and the beast uses its fists. If you wake up the beast then violence emerges. I'm afraid that this continual pushing by radical left wingers is going to wake up the beast.

The interview was at at a time when Trump looked like he was headed for defeat.

There are a lot of reasons for why Trump won and you can't isolate a single cause. But one contributing factor was a general disgust with the way left wing zealots constantly stake out irrational and nonsensical positions and scream like little children until they get their way.

Edited by TimG

12 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

No it's about a professor who has stated he refuses to use any pronouns other than  gendered ones assigned by birth.

No, it's about the way the entire university has gone into convulsions of political correctness because a professor decided not to go along with whatever pronoun du jour the entitled social justice warriors come up with.

1 minute ago, TimG said:

There are a lot of reasons for why Trump won and you can't isolate a single cause. But one contributing factor was a general disgust with the way left wing zealots constantly stake out irrational and nonsensical positions and scream like little children until they get their way.

And that Clinton was a friend of such things, while Trump was a foe.

12 minutes ago, TimG said:

That is not what he said. Try looking at his words:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.3786140/i-m-not-a-bigot-meet-the-u-of-t-prof-who-refuses-to-use-genderless-pronouns-1.3786144

He said he will use the pronouns that he think makes sense. I presume that means he would make some judgement based on the look of the person which may have nothing to do with what gender they were assigned at birth.

Not about gender assigned at birth, but he continues to call professor Peets, 'he'.  

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

People got really upset when Ms. Was first introduced I remember.

It at least served a point. It had a logic to it. MR was not definitive as to marital status, so MS wouldn't be either. It was also easy to remember and required no guesswork about what gender an individual had assigned to themselves at that particular time. It also involved 50% of the population, not 0.0004%, or thereabouts.

And I doubt the audiences were warned prior to discussions or debates that there were soothing therapists there to help them out afterward if they were too traumatized by the bad words spoken.

Edited by Argus

Just now, Argus said:

It at least served a point. It had a logic to it. MR was not definitive as to marital status, so MS wouldn't be either. It was also easy to remember and required no guesswork about what gender an individual had assigned to themselves at that particular time. It also involved 50% of the population, not 0.0004%, or thereabouts.

There was also a lot of 'logic' about keeping gays in the closet and blacks segregated.  

Hindsight of course is 20/20.

1 minute ago, BC_chick said:

There was also a lot of 'logic' about keeping gays in the closet and blacks segregated.  

No, there wasn't. And comparing this nonsense to that is... nonsense. It's like comparing my struggle to get the dumb Christmas lights I want to return back into the box to the struggle to build the CN tower.

Edited by Argus

Call yourself whatever you like...  and ask to be called whatever you like...  but to mandate it by law or policy or human rights tribunals is a bit much...  

You can ask and I will happily call you he-she  or whatever the pronoun is of your choosing.  (To be honest, I have no idea what these "alternate" pronouns even are...  they just don't occur in the real world...  and I'm not some hick living in the boonies...)     

How do people like this get jobs once they're done university???  This is a made-up problem.  If you're going to university in Canada, you are already better off than 99.9% of the human population on the planet!

Edited by The_Squid

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

No, there wasn't. And comparing this nonsense to that is... nonsense. It's like comparing my struggle to get the dumb Christmas lights I want to return back into the box to the struggle to build the CN tower.

You trivializing the matter only demonstrates MH's point.  They trivialized Ms. and now it's 'logical'.  They trivialized civil rights and gay rights but now they're 'logical' too.

With enough time when trans rights become 'logical', there will also be a lot of people wondering why anyone would put up a fuss about addressing others using the pronouns they so wish.

4 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

You trivializing the matter only demonstrates MH's point.  They trivialized Ms. and now it's 'logical'.  They trivialized civil rights and gay rights but now they're 'logical' too.

With enough time when trans rights become 'logical', there will also be a lot of people wondering why anyone would put up a fuss about addressing others using the pronouns they so wish.

Show us a law that requires women to be addressed as Ms.