Are we going to admit Universities are producing thin-skinned people?

Boges

Just now, Wilber said:

Well until they come up with one they should quit bitching. The rest of us aren't psychic and aren't about to remember 20 of the bloody things, then have to ask which one to use so as not to be branded as insensitive by a bunch of nitwits.

The professor in the article knows exactly what the other professor wishes to be called yet continues to refer to the other professor as he. 

Do you agree that's inappropriate?

6 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

The professor in the article knows exactly what the other professor wishes to be called yet continues to refer to the other professor as he. 

I don't know what the other professor wishes to be called so I wouldn't know. It also depends on how many different pronouns he has to use in order to address people throughout the day. Why not just call each other professor? These so called institutions of higher learning are enough to make you puke sometimes.

Still like the idea of going to just last names. Save a lot of time and stupidity.

Edited by Wilber

3 minutes ago, Bonam said:

This thread right here is why Democrats lost the election. Liberals are in a moral panic about pronoun usage, while the real economic issues of working class people are ignored. 

Oh, and my preferred pronoun is "His Majesty". I'm gonna report every post that doesn't refer to me with that pronoun. 

Democrats lost because Hillary Clinton is not a strong candidate.

6 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

Democrats lost because Hillary Clinton is not a strong candidate.

Democrats lost because their entire message for the entire length of the campaign was "the other guys are racists". That's not a message that appeals to anyone but the already converted who like to feel their smug superiority to the supposed racists. Too much focus on identity politics (which includes all the pronoun crap discussed here), not enough on issues that matter to the mainstream. Here's a good article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Edited by Bonam

22 hours ago, cybercoma said:

Who cares about pronouns, right? I'm sure Argus would have been totally fine with a colleague at work refusing to use "he," "his," and "him" and instead calling Argus by "her," "hers," and "she." If Argus doesn't like that, he can suck it up because free speech allows people to call him by whatever pronouns they choose, not the ones Argus prefers.

How would I know what they prefer? Do I have time for that? Unless of course, "Dude looks like a Lady..."

30 minutes ago, Bonam said:

Democrats lost because their entire message for the entire length of the campaign was "the other guys are racists". That's not a message that appeals to anyone but the already converted who like to feel their smug superiority to the supposed racists. Too much focus on identity politics (which includes all the pronoun crap discussed here), not enough on issues that matter to the mainstream. Here's a good article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

An op-ed?  I've read other op-ed's blame her ovaries, it doesn't make it true.  It's one person's opinion.  There was a whole lot of reasons, including an archaic voting system and... oh how should I put it... some people actually liking Donald Trump!  Gasp.

The discussion here is about U of T professor (in Canada) rejecting Bill C-16 and non-binary gender expression.  Nothing to do with Hillary Clinton.

As you can see many of the people who supported her (TimG, Wilber, Squid) disagree with the notion of people choosing their own pronouns.  Stop it please, the US politics board is just above this one.

Edited by BC_chick

2 minutes ago, Wilber said:

I don't know what the other professor wishes to be called so I wouldn't know. It also depends on how many different pronouns he has to use in order to address people throughout the day. Why not just call each other professor? These so called institutions of higher learning are enough to make you puke sometimes.

Still like the idea of going to just last names. Save a lot of time and stupidity.

The other professor is non-binary (so neither gender) and doesn't want either he or she. Prefers they. 

53 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

Language is not static as I've said. Our pronouns can change and are starting to. You're just on the wrong side of history in accepting it because you see transgenderism as a mental illness. 

Anyone who chooses it engage in radical and non-reversible self-mutilation is mentally ill and any competent psychiatrist would agree. The conceit that transgender are not mentally ill is a good example of how the radical left seeks to deny reality in order to push their agenda. The push to use the force of law to compel others to play lip service to your delusions is appalling. Perhaps we need a law that will make it illegal for someone to say that a fetus is not a child because that would drive home how absurd your position is.

Edited by TimG

Just now, BC_chick said:

Everyone just HAS to fit with either he or she, there just isn't any other option.  

'I'm so confused' - Vinney, Welcome Back Kotter.

They don't have to be either he or she but one person is not a they. They need to find a different word. Make one up if they want. Either that or find a different word to describe two or more people.

10 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

The discussion here is about U of T professor (in Canada) rejecting Bill C-16 and non-binary gender expression.  Nothing to do with Hillary Clinton.

As you can see many of the people who supported her (TimG, Wilber, Squid) disagree with the notion of people choosing their own pronouns.  Stop it please, the US politics board is just above this one.

Sorry, that's true, I guess that was a bit off topic. Back on the actual topic though... Professors, along with everyone else, should not be required to speak in the way that emotionally sensitive people demand that they speak. The vitriol pointed at the professor in question by his colleagues for failing to comply with their ideology is by far the greater problem on university campuses (in that it is indicative of a close-minded ideological dogmatic atmosphere) than the use of pronouns. 

8 minutes ago, Wilber said:

They don't have to be either he or she but one person is not a they. They need to find a different word. Make one up if they want. Either that or find a different word to describe two or more people.

There are other.  Xe for example.

Shockingly, lots of detractors for that too.

Some people just don't want to accept gender non-conformity.  

1 hour ago, BC_chick said:

Depends on what the other professor looks like.

3 minutes ago, Bonam said:

Sorry, that's true, I guess that was a bit off topic. Back on the actual topic though... Professors, along with everyone else, should not be required to speak in the way that emotionally sensitive people demand that they speak. The vitriol pointed at the professor in question by his colleagues for failing to comply with their ideology is by far the greater problem on university campuses (in that it is indicative of a close-minded ideological dogmatic atmosphere) than the use of pronouns. 

Actually, denying the existence of non-binary gender expression is much more indicative of close-mindedness, wouldn't you say?

3 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

There are other.  Xe for example.

Shockingly, lots of detractors for that too.

Some people just don't want to accept gender non-conformity.  

My instant and also permanent reaction to anyone asking me to refer to them as Xe is to think they're a fruitloop, and to completely ignore them and their opinions thereafter.

2 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

Actually, denying the existence of non-binary gender expression is much more indicative of close-mindedness, wouldn't you say?

People believe all sorts of crazy things. Do you deny that Jesus Christ is the savoir of all humankind? If so that is pretty close minded of you. If people want to believe they are a non-gendered reptile from the planet Xeon they are free to do so. I only object to laws that seek to compel others to pander to their delusions.

11 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

But did the professor deny the existence of non-binary gender expression? No, he didn't. He merely pointed out that he doesn't think he should be forced to use special pronouns. And for making this relatively esoteric point, he was pretty much seen as the devil by his colleagues. 

Edited by Bonam