Are we going to admit Universities are producing thin-skinned people?

Boges

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

It's not bigotry to the whole of the US. Just parts of the government. That's the clarification needed, otherwise you'd be doing the same as those who are slandering all of Islam here.

Agreed, #2.   Americans as people are, by and large, very decent people.   Most of them don't shoot up schools or abortion clinics, or beat up black people or gays.   

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Bigotry against individual Americans is very popular and acceptable in Canadian culture....manifests itself in many ways from gun rights to religious freedoms.   This bigotry binds some Canadians together as they resist the dominant culture "south of the border". 

I agree.  It's difficult to resolve this with the fascination with all things American, too.  I have yet to hear of a university student being admonished for anti-American views.

Canadian comedian Mike Bullard mentioned this in an interview, which I was a little shocked by.  Canadians are usually bad at seeing their own xenophobia.

38 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I agree.  It's difficult to resolve this with the fascination with all things American, too.  I have yet to hear of a university student being admonished for anti-American views.

That has always been the great dichotomy....how to resolve such CanAm identity conflict and cognitive dissonance.  

There is no "safe space" when it comes to anti-American bigotry...no trigger warnings....but lots of cheering for Heather Mallick rants.   Bigotry is acceptable when cultural survival is at stake, even in "progressive" Canada.

This goes beyond just thin skinned people and academic bubbles for students.   The Hun is at the door....again.

10 hours ago, drummindiver said:

Exactly. The asounding bigotry towards the States who are our closest ally and share our morals and values is beyond saturation on MLW.

Americans don't share all of our morals and values.  If they did they'd have single-payer healthcare, wouldn't have a rabid gun culture, wouldn't have had slavery etc.

3 hours ago, GostHacked said:

It's not bigotry to the whole of the US. Just parts of the government. That's the clarification needed, otherwise you'd be doing the same as those who are slandering all of Islam here.

I don't dislike all of or even most of the US/Americans.  I have a bunch of good American friends.  Doesn't mean I or anyone can't criticize parts of its culture or politics etc.  If some Americans get "triggered" because of that let me grab them a tissue.

4 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Americans don't share all of our morals and values.  If they did they'd have single-payer healthcare, wouldn't have a rabid gun culture, wouldn't have had slavery etc.

Lol.Is healthcare where your values are? Mine are not beating women, treating everyone as equal, freedom of speech and sexuality.....silly things like that. We have a large population of gun ownership, though not on the level of the states. 

Are you sure there was never slavery in Canada?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Agreed, #2.   Americans as people are, by and large, very decent people.   Most of them don't shoot up schools or abortion clinics, or beat up black people or gays.   

I agree.  But about half of them who voted elected Dubya twice, and elected Trump, and the ones that sat at home might be even worse.  A bunch of not-fantastic Canadians voted for Harper last election too.  You aren't a bigot for calling a spade a spade.  Sensitive American egos don't get a "safe space".

7 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I don't dislike all of or even most of the US/Americans.  I have a bunch of good American friends.  Doesn't mean I or anyone can't criticize parts of its culture or politics etc.  If some Americans get "triggered" because of that let me grab them a tissue.

There is rampant bIgotry against Americans on this site. The people who bleat it the loudest are the ones who put down painting Muslims with the same brush.

20 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I agree.  But about half of them who voted elected Dubya twice, and elected Trump, and the ones that sat at home might be even worse.  A bunch of not-fantastic Canadians voted for Harper last election too.  You aren't a bigot for calling a spade a spade.  Sensitive American egos don't get a "safe space".

We voted Trudeau. We voted Mcguinty twice followed by Wynne here in Ontario.  America doesnt have a monopoly on stupid.

Edited by drummindiver

2 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

Lol.Is healthcare where your values are?

Most Canadians care about people we've never met not dying or staying sick.  So yes, it's one part of our core values as Canadians.

I've never personally known anyone in Canada who owns any kind of gun besides those used for hunting.  I'm very sure they exist, but again, different values.  But yes we share a lot of the same values too.  I'm just saying our values have some key differences.

3 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

We voted Trudeau. We voted Mcguinty twice followed by Wynne here in Ontario.  America as doesnt have a monopoly on stupid.

Exactly.  That's why I mentioned Harper.  If you call a group out for being stupid, that doesn't make you a bigot, you're just calling a spade a spade (in your eyes).

Just now, Moonlight Graham said:

Most Canadians care about people we've never met not dying or staying sick.  So yes, it's one part of our core values as Canadians.

I've never personally known anyone in Canada who owns any kind of gun besides those used for hunting.  I'm very sure they exist, but again, different values.  But yes we share a lot of the same values too.  I'm just saying our values have some key differences.

I own a gun, and I don't hunt.  It's one of my values.  I like critters, and if I'm not threatened, I ain't gonna kill one.

Clay pigeons, however...

7 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

There is rampant bIgotry against Americans on this site. The people who bleat it the loudest are the ones who put down painting Muslims with the same brush.

I've met Canadians who are pretty anti-American.  I tell them they're wrong, there's lots of great Americans, lots of great American culture etc.

20 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Exactly.  That's why I mentioned Harper.  If you call a group out for being stupid, that doesn't make you a bigot, you're just calling a spade a spade (in your eyes).

Yeah,  I think if you call an entire group out for behaviour of a few is the definition of bigotry.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Universities in Canada are notorious for espousing those views.  I doubt that wI'll change any time soon.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Or anti-male views or anti-white views etc.  Americans aren't exactly an oppressed group so universities nor liberals will ever care about them as a victim, for better or worse.

6 hours ago, GostHacked said:

What about the responsibility of people for the governments they elect?  I have no problem at all condemning anyone who votes for a government that arms another government with the material means to oppress their people.  They're no better than the scum of the Earth they elect.

3 hours ago, drummindiver said:

Agreed...they do this while loudly condemning bigotry against Muslims or other groups.   It is in their Canadian DNA to do so.

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

What about the responsibility of people for the governments they elect?  I have no problem at all condemning anyone who votes for a government that arms another government with the material means to oppress their people.  They're no better than the scum of the Earth they elect.

Same as the religion that calls on their practitioners to kill infidels.

12 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

Same as the religion that calls on their practitioners to kill infidels.

That's a perversion of what the Quran says, used by some followers to support their extremism.   Most followers of Islam pay much more attention to the Quran verses that instruct to tolerance and peace.   Yes, they think gay people and apostates are immoral, just as many Christians do, but much like Christians today, they do nothing about it - except for a few extremists.   Yes, the governments in  many of those countries are more authoritarian than not, but just like in Canada or the States, the government doesn't always reflect the majority of the citizen's views.    

I'm very curious, though - why do you believe what the vast MINORITY of Muslims believe?    Why are you so willing to accept that the terrorists who claim Islam are the defining characteristic of Islam, when there is such a preponderance of evidence that they aren't?    This attitude makes as much sense as someone believing all Christians are polygamous because they heard about fundamentalists Mormons, or believing that most Christians are pedophiles because of what they read in the paper.