Will Canada ever become the 51st State of America?

1 hour ago, taxme said:

I am glad that playing golf or playing Canadian football did not change and both are still using the imperial system.  We still can buy building material and tools that are still sold in feet, inches and yards. What is left is kilometers and celsuis. Revert back to farhenhiet and miles and we are back to the good old days. There would really be no big deal to revert back because just about every Canadian visits the USA at least once or twice a year, and they pretty much know the old imperial measurements that America uses or close too it. No problem for the children to learn the imperial system just as it was no problem for children to learn the metric system. North America needs only one measurement system, not two. Our biggest trading partner didn't go metric, so why did we?

Papa Trudeau comes to mind. Probably due to his trying to make Canada appear more European rather than appearing more American. Just a thought.   

Congress passed a Metrification Act in 1975 but it died under Reagan. The US is now the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't use the metric system. Just another reason for US companies to outsource.

26 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Congress passed a Metrification Act in 1975 but it died under Reagan. The US is now the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't use the metric system. Just another reason for US companies to outsource.

A vote should be put to the American people as to whether they will want metric it or not. I will bet that they will not vote for it. The costs alone to convert will be very costly. It cost Canadians taxpayer's millions of their tax dollars for something they never asked for. Typical of politicians. Blow tax dollars because some of them want to force their programs and agendas on the sheeple no matter what the cost. Your tax dollars at work. 

So, Are you kidding? Out source because of metric? More like out sourcing jobs is what that out sourcing is all about. Corporations like cheap labor, and they are getting it by out sourcing. That may change with Trump as President now.  

51 minutes ago, taxme said:

A vote should be put to the American people as to whether they will want metric it or not. I will bet that they will not vote for it. The costs alone to convert will be very costly. It cost Canadians taxpayer's millions of their tax dollars for something they never asked for. Typical of politicians. Blow tax dollars because some of them want to force their programs and agendas on the sheeple no matter what the cost. Your tax dollars at work. 

So, Are you kidding? Out source because of metric? More like out sourcing jobs is what that out sourcing is all about. Corporations like cheap labor, and they are getting it by out sourcing. That may change with Trump as President now.  

Actually, being the lone oddball on the planet costs everyone money. The rest of the world sure as hell isn't changing to the Imperial system.

Edited by Wilber

14 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Actually, being the lone oddball on the planet costs everyone money. The rest of the world sure as hell isn't changing to the Imperial system.

Actually, SI units have been used in U.S. industry for many decades.   Many consumer products reflect both systems.  

Canada still uses the Imperial system in many parts of its economy.  

On 2016-04-03 at 2:58 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

Canadians don't want to join the U.S. and an invasion would be very costly to the U.S. in the world reaction.

As demonstrated in Afganistan and Iraq, it takes more than an invasion to take over a country and Canadian resistance would make ISIL and the Taliban look like pussies. We have access to their home turf. We have access to very nasty things to make them pay.

Americans are not stupid. They are good people, but not stupid.

I disagree.. look at what they elected.

On 2016-12-18 at 0:42 PM, ?Impact said:

not

A knot is a unit of speed measurement. It's original definition was based on counting the number of 'knots' tied into a spool of cord that unwound after a 'chip log' (essentially a standardized block of wood) to which it was attached was thrown overboard during a specified period of time usually based on the sand in an hourglass. The knots were usually tied 8 fathoms (48') apart, and the 'hourglass' usually counted either 14 or 28 seconds.

While the definition of the unit was modernized, it is still a unit of speed and not distance. It is applicable to both marine and air travel because they both move through a fluid (water or air). It is not an absolute speed, but rather a speed relative to the fluid in which you travel. You cover far less distance flying into a headwind than you do flying with a tailwind even though your speed measured in knots is exactly the same.

A knot certainly is a measure of speed . It is not relative. If you are travelling at 10 knots ( in calm water) and then against a 5 knot current your  speed is not considered 10 knots.It is measured in how long it takes to travel a nautical mile.(5 knots) It measures how fast  you travel each nautical mile regardless of other factors. If you travel in a headwind your nautical speed will be still how long it takes to travel a nautical mile. Same with wind. Now that being said. If you travel long distances relative to the rotation of the earth that  affects time...not speed over ground which is a knot.

10 minutes ago, taxme said:

More like look what they didn't elect. Now that would have been a real stupid mistake. But hey. 

lol... yea a guy who didn't know what the nuclear  triad was, the leaders of Isis or brexit. A birther conspiracy  freak who hired a pizza gate conspiracy freak as an advisor. 

Drink some more Koolaid. facts suck huh?

Edited by Canadianjim

24 minutes ago, Canadianjim said:

lol... yea a guy who didn't know what the nuclear  triad was, the leaders of Isis or brexit. A birther conspiracy  freak who hired a pizza gate conspiracy freak as an advisor. 

Drink some more Koolaid. facts suck huh?

Most politicians don't know much about anything. Sometimes they have to be told as to what is going on because they most likely are to busy with their own pet projects, programs and agendas to care about what is really going on in the rest of the world. We have all heard about Hillary and her involvement in so many crooked events and incidents. So, don't give me this crap that it is only Trump that is the bad guy here. 

It is you who needs to stay away and stop drinking the koolaid. Facts do suck, eh?  

Just now, taxme said:

Most politicians don't know much about anything. Sometimes they have to be told as to what is going on because they most likely are to busy with their own pet projects, programs and agendas to care about what is really going on in the rest of the world. We have all heard about Hillary and her involvement in so many crooked events and incidents. So, don't give me this crap that it is only Trump that is the bad guy here. 

It is you who needs to stay away and stop drinking the koolaid. Facts do suck, eh?  

Quit making excuses for ignorance. It doesn't sell here.

Interesting question.  There are actually two books I've read in which the United States does precisely that.  Not because I have a hard-on for conquest of neighboring nations, but I just happened to have read them.

First, Night Probe by Clive Cussler; one of his "Dirk Pitt" adventures.  It's 1982 and there's a global petroleum/energy crisis, and a KGB-backed secession movement in Quebec; meanwhile, the USA gets what little oil it has left from Canada.  To complicate matters, a researcher going through Woodrow Wilson's personal papers accidentally comes across evidence of a "North American Treaty" that never went into effect because the only two signed copies of the treaty were destroyed.  Therefore, no one knew that, in 1914, for the sum of one billion dollars, the US bought the Dominion of Canada.  Yikes.  (I didn't think that was legally possible, once Canada was confederated, didn't it become a legally sovereign entity? Even before the Balfour Declaration and Statute of Westminster, Canada was still given representation in the League of Nations, in fact.)  I love his Dirk Pitt books, they're neat, but I think the premise of Night Probe wasn't too solid, for this reason.

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Probe-Dirk-Pitt-Adventure/dp/0553394924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482309143&sr=8-1&keywords=night+probe

Harry Turtledove, who writes a lot of such "alternate history" fiction, wrote a 3-book series on World War One.  However, the South had won the American Civil War in 1862. (oops.)  Predictably, not long after the Archduke Franz Ferdinand is assassinated, "over there" becomes "over here", as Theodore Roosevelt's USA is aligned with the central powers and Woodrow Wilson's CSA with the Triple Entente.  (As Canada is a Dominion state of the British Empire, it becomes a battleground.)

https://www.amazon.com/American-Front-Great-War-Book/dp/0345405609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482309325&sr=8-1&keywords=great+war+american+front

Good reads, I thought, more so the first one, even if the premise wasn't legally-sound.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

20 hours ago, taxme said:

"Most politicians don't know much about anything." Geezuz .. how can you make excuses for ignorance. if you want apply for a job you should know what qualifications are and what the job is.. Why about  Hillary? You have been brain washed. There is nothing other than a private server which by the way was never hacked. The government servers were hacked.

So tell me all this Hillary stuff. Show me what you've got. Because I accuse you of being brainwashed into thinking there is  something.,

I''l wait for you to google  and try to find what you are talking about.

Edited by Canadianjim

On 12/21/2016 at 1:47 PM, Canadianjim said:

"Most politicians don't know much about anything." Geezuz .. how can you make excuses for ignorance. if you want apply for a job you should know what qualifications are and what the job is.. Why about  Hillary? You have been brain washed. There is nothing other than a private server which by the way was never hacked. The government servers were hacked.

So tell me all this Hillary stuff. Show me what you've got. Because I accuse you of being brainwashed into thinking there is  something.,

I''l wait for you to google  and try to find what you are talking about.

When one uses common sense and logic and speaks political incorrectness they are not being brainwashed at all. The brainwashed ones are the ignorant ones that are politically correct, emotional, and who talk foolishness. 

If you are asking me to post things on Hillary all you have to do is go on Youtube and get it all for free. 

On 12/20/2016 at 5:01 PM, taxme said:

Hillary has been in office for decades and has held some fairly high offices. She knows something about politics. All Trump seems capable of is making ridiculous twitter comments. Perhaps that's more your "style".

2 minutes ago, taxme said:

When one uses common sense and logic and speaks political incorrectness they are not being brainwashed at all. The brainwashed ones are the ignorant ones that are politically correct, emotional, and who talk foolishness. 

If you are asking me to post things on Hillary all you have to do is go on Youtube and get it all for free. 

Ah so there we go. You get your political brainwashing from Youtube. Read a lot of Breitbart too?

12 minutes ago, Omni said:

Hillary has been in office for decades and has held some fairly high offices. She knows something about politics. All Trump seems capable of is making ridiculous twitter comments. Perhaps that's more your "style".

It doesn't mean that she did anything good for America or for the world because she has been in politics for years. What has she done that was so great anyway? Indeed she knows something about politics alright. She knew how to make lots of money for herself, and wild Bill. I don't know anything about Trump and his twitter comments because I never use the bloody thing. So, what were some of the things that Trump was saying on twitter that sounded so ridiculous too you? The truth or facts bothered you? 

6 minutes ago, taxme said:

It doesn't mean that she did anything good for America or for the world because she has been in politics for years. What has she done that was so great anyway? Indeed she knows something about politics alright. She knew how to make lots of money for herself, and wild Bill. I don't know anything about Trump and his twitter comments because I never use the bloody thing. So, what were some of the things that Trump was saying on twitter that sounded so ridiculous too you? The truth or facts bothered you? 

Here's a little reading for you. There's lot's more of course but you can look it up yourself.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-tweets-apparent-call-more-us-nuclear-weapons-n699221

18 minutes ago, Omni said:

Ah so there we go. You get your political brainwashing from Youtube. Read a lot of Breitbart too?

Global Research and many more alternative media websites is where I get the truth and the facts. Youtube is a pretty good source for many good alternative media websites where one can go who does not want to continually be brainwashed and fed constant politically correct propaganda. I assume that CBC,CNN, MSNBC and The Toronto Star  is where you get your politically correct brainwashing from, eh?