Bush Snr, Bush Jnr, Trudeau Snr, Trudeau Jnr, etc.

August1991

I just don't see it. I've been on some sites that would make your hair curl. This site seems fairly benign in terms of insults and disrespect. Trolling I agree with you on, but then, I don't mind it.

The only sites I think would suit your requirements are those I've only heard of, like Babble, where almost everyone agrees with you and the moderation deletes dissenting opinions before you read them. Where's the fun in that?

I started internet political discussions on usenet, where creative political discussion involved compound obscenities that would make George Carlin's hair fall out. It was annoying, but you fought fire with fire, and the gave what you got or got out. This forum is as kind and gentle as anything I've ever found with regard to political discussions. Other than, as you say, places which are of like-minded people patting each other on the back, and highly policed.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started internet political discussions on usenet, where creative political discussion involved compound obscenities that would make George Carlin's hair fall out. It was annoying, but you fought fire with fire, and the gave what you got or got out. This forum is as kind and gentle as anything I've ever found with regard to political discussions. Other than, as you say, places which are of like-minded people patting each other on the back, and highly policed.

Well it's not kind and gentle to many of us who are newer members.

Well it's not kind and gentle to many of us who are newer members.

Newer? You've got over 5,000 posts.

People constantly insult me in any way they think they can get away with (including you) so pardon me if I'm not feeling overly sympathetic.

To be honest, you don't insult members but you do troll incessantly.

No, I actually don't. I say what I really believe. And to the extent I resemble Donald Trump, I do say things without regard to whether people feel insulted by my opinions. But they ARE my opinions, not something I'm making up just to get a rise out of people.

Edited by Argus

No but this is supposed to be a forum for above average intelligent posts.

I don't now about above average intelligence but I would say above average in political knowledge. Lots and lots of people I know couldn't care less what politicians are doing, don't watch the news, don't read newspapers, and don't care.

No, I actually don't. I say what I really believe. And to the extent I resemble Donald Trump, I do say things without regard to whether people feel insulted by my opinions. But they ARE my opinions, not something I'm making up just to get a rise out of people.

Huh. I was talking to BC. Perhaps a Freudian lapse?

Thanks to smallc, OGFT, Army Guy, Kimmy, BC_Chick, Hal 9000, BCSapper, waldo, Big-Guy, cybercoma, msj, Westcoastrunner for good discussion, even when I disagreed with you. Probably a couple of names I've missed there, hope you know who you are.

Thanks, dialamah. I've enjoyed our discussions too even though we didn't start off on the right foot.

If I were you I wouldn't give up entirely though, this place serves its purpose. Personally, I like it whenever there is an election, it's nice to see what others are saying.

I've been on this forum for almost 10 years and I've left many times, sometimes for years, but it's nice to keep the username. You can always pop in when you want and the regulars already know you.

I've given myself a time out for say a month and by then I've lost interest in the discussions and when I stop by it all looks so dumb.

I'm just throwing it out as an alternative.... but if you do decide to leave all together, then all the best. :)

Edited by BC_chick

yes! Clearly... this active status update is a real testament to that!

N1SnBkd.gif

Yes, this is clearly being used derisively, and is clearly not acceptable. This is cut and dried. It will no longer be allowed.

-k

Yes, this is clearly being used derisively, and is clearly not acceptable. This is cut and dried. It will no longer be allowed.

-k

Actually -k, I have to disagree with you in this instance. If you replace "Junior" with "Trudeau" it doesn't change the tone of the statement one bit. While you may dislike the sentiment, the use of "Junior" likely isn't what's derisive. If "Junior" is allowed, it's allowed (not that I care in the least one way or the other). This status update shouldn't be a reason why that changes.