Trudeau's Committment to Syrian Refugees - 25,000 by Year End

Those significant internal reviews must have really been something.....the Liberals themselves have now had to admit that they won't be able to process 10,000 refugees by the end of the year. Just like everyone (other than the left) have been saying since day one.

cite? Why be bashing on the refugees man!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the initial 10,000 were identified by the Harper government as privately-sponsored refugees as part of the Conservative refugee resettlement targets - so a good portion of the vetting process was already done - those form the bulk of the current arrivals. Even with that bait and switch head start, it's just about impossible that the full 10,000 will be in Canada by December 31st. It will be very interesting to track the arrivals of the 25,000 government-sponsored refugees that constitute the Trudeau commitment. McCallum has already admitted that it will take a year.....

uhhh... are you saying previously intended private sponsored refugees are... instead... now being sponsored by the Canadian government? I'm reading several references to "previous Harper Conservative vetting" with varying numbers - do you have a cite that categorically states exactly what Harper Conservatives did in regards to Syrian refugees... those not yet brought to Canada?

how conspiratorial of you! Why would the heads of both the RCMP and CSIS set themselves... and their agencies... up for failure like that? Those kinds of forceful and direct statements don't get made without significant internal reviews within both agencies.

Are you kidding? They get made when the minister tells them to make them.

uhhh... are you saying previously intended private sponsored refugees are... instead... now being sponsored by the Canadian government? I'm reading several references to "previous Harper Conservative vetting" with varying numbers - do you have a cite that categorically states exactly what Harper Conservatives did in regards to Syrian refugees... those not yet brought to Canada?

I know you're confused - but in your defense, the Liberals have made it confusing in an attempt to salvage their election commitment of 25,000 government-assisted refugees by December 31, 2015 (now Feb. 28, 2016). Classic Bait & Switch - just add in the privately-sponsored refugees that were already in the pipeline! As McCallum has said - it'll take a year or more.

The government will identify all 25,000 refugees to come to Canada by December 31, 2015. Of those selected, the target is to have 10,000 Syrian refugees arrive in Canada by the end of this year, and the remainder to arrive by the end of February 2016.

The government also has several thousand applications in processing for privately sponsored refugees (PSRs) under way, and these will be included as part of the commitment. The majority of these will be finalized in the coming weeks. These refugees will be admitted into Canada, in either Montreal or Toronto, and then continue directly on to their destination community.

The government’s commitment to bringing in Syrian refugees will continue in 2016. Given the current initiative includes privately sponsored refugees, this will include taking in more government-assisted refugees (GARs) to reach a total target of 25,000 GARs.

Link: http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1021919&_ga=1.48042148.2058986007.1448311502

The original Trudeau promise:

Trudeau always knew that if he became prime minister he would have only two months to vet, transport and settle the 25,000 government-sponsored refugees he wanted to bring in.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/26/justin-trudeaus-backtracking-on-refugee-promise-casts-shadow-over-other-pledges-walkom.html

Edited by Keepitsimple

Are you kidding? They get made when the minister tells them to make them.

are you kidding? Like I said, you'll need to extend on your conspiracy to also include SRIC. You're blatantly suggesting both the RCMP and CSIS (subject to SRIC oversight) are willing to forego Canada's security for political expediency. Your conspiracy web presumes that no leaks from within the RCMP and/or CSIS would reveal your claimed political meddling... presumes that the independent SRIC will never find out/reveal your claimed meddling! :lol:

cite? Why be bashing on the refugees man!

Oh Waldo, great man of wisdom and knowledge. Please do show me where I have bashed refugees. Anywhere on this site. Or are you suffering from Wynne syndrome?

I won't wait around as I know that, as per usual Waldo speak, you won't be able to back up what you say, but will counter with much rambling using big words and blustery commentary that will do nothing but deflect and distract.

That's very true. At least he didn't spend money on a commercial doing this with some fake refugee actors... but still.... a bit crass.

I didn't have a problem with it. It's a signature project for the first part of this government's mandate, after all. Now if it continued past the first couple flights, then I'd say there was a problem.

I didn't have a problem with it. It's a signature project for the first part of this government's mandate, after all. Now if it continued past the first couple flights, then I'd say there was a problem.

These weren't even gov't sponsored refugees... private sponsored...

It made headlines around the world. As a photo op, it worked.

In addition, if you want to lure refugees to come to your country, what better way than to show the country's leaders showering love and gifts on arriving refugees. Clips can be played in various refugee camps. "Look how well you will be treated in Canada. Come one come all. We have a quota to reach...and quick."

Syrians are like babies to be kissed for politiicans . I hope Trudeau does not have mononucleosis, he'd be a new Typhoid Marie.

Syrians may be bigger than hockey right now. They are for CBC TV.

The funny part is that they will soon learn to do the things that Canadians love to do....cross border shop in the U.S.A and watch American media !

The funny part is that they will soon learn to do the things that Canadians love to do....cross border shop in the U.S.A and watch American media !

You might be a little behind the times there Skipper. I don;t think you;'re seeing lineups on your side of the border with the Canuckbuck at $.73. And nobody is watching US networks anymore on either side unless they are called HBO.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/syrian-refugees-scarborough-family-1.3360396

Christine Youssef and her mother, Sarah, raised $250,000 to sponsor the refugees, including five of her cousins, via their credit cards, a loan and a second mortgage on their home. The last time Youssef saw her cousins, who are between 20 and 28 years old, they were in Damascus and civil war hadn't yet broken out in Syria.

The Youssefs say hosting so many people is worth the financial strain. Last January, they decided they had seen enough of the violence in Syria and vowed to get as many family members to Canada, and to safety.

This can't be true. If families are going to turn single family homes into shelters, that's not a preferable result. Are all the children entitled public education in that one board?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/syrian-refugees-scarborough-family-1.3360396

This can't be true. If families are going to turn single family homes into shelters, that's not a preferable result. Are all the children entitled public education in that one board?

I don't understand your revulsion. And yes, the children would be allowed to attend school.

Would you rather they lived in barracks?

Edited by WestCoastRunner