NDP candidate defends death camp-related penis joke: ‘I didn’t know wh

PIK

Really, I hope she steps down we do not need such fools in our government. Is this just plain stupidity or our education system is failing. And a school trustee at that.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/federalelection2015/ndp-candidate-defends-death-camp-related-penis-joke-%e2%80%98i-didn%e2%80%99t-know-what-auschwitz-was%e2%80%99/ar-AAeHtyz?ocid=mailsignoutmd

Edited by PIK

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I'm thinking the "I didn't know what Auschwitz was." is not actually true, but a really poor attempt at deflection.

Yeah, I'd be more willing to shrug it off if she said something like "I wrote that quickly while a little drunk and didn't notice the exact location, to be honest. My friends ribbed me for months afterwards."

Yeah, I'd be more willing to shrug it off if she said something like "I wrote that quickly while a little drunk and didn't notice the exact location, to be honest. My friends ribbed me for months afterwards."

Yeah, "I wrote a dumb thing on social media almost a decade ago, which I apologize for. Now can we talk about something that actually matters?"

In the near future, technology will be so advanced that almost anyone will be able to identify the real identity of posters on what these posters think is an "anonymous" bulletin board. In the future, all these posts will still be retreivable from somewhere. At that time, if any participants here choose to get into politics then their "past" or the past of any close relative will be screened.

I believe that day will come a lot sooner than we anticipate. Already to-day, people are losing or being rejected for jobs by what they have posted in social media. What happens when identities previously considered anonymous will be readily available - and their previously posted statements revealed? Then those individuals will have to be accountable for what they posted.

Personally, I am looking forward to that day.

Are you?

Edited by Big Guy

Normal people make inappropriate jokes or comments all the time. This one is honestly pretty tame. That said, such statements can definitely make someone unelectable.

Isn't it crazy that we expect things from others that we don't expect from ourselves?

It's not really a matter of rational expectation. Rather, it's a matter of the political culture.

Yes almost everyone who isn't preciously politically correct (and thus dumb as a post) have made all sorts of comments in their lives which would get the opinion makers fluttering in horror if we were politicians.

Edited by Argus

Here is the so-called anti-semitic comment:

She said the occupation started in 46, instead of 67 - OMG! ANTI-SEMITE!

Saying it started in 46 as opposed to 67 isn't just a slip up of the date. It is a clear statement that indicates the speaker believes ALL of Israel is on occupied territory and therefore illegitimate, as opposed to the more conventional view of those who criticize Israel that accept the legitimacy of Israel proper but object to its actions in Gaza and the West Bank.

Edited by Bonam

Who needs to make excuses or explanations for your own actions when you have all these people(see above) who will blow it off on your behalf?

The thing is, I don't think making a dumb tasteless joke to your friends years ago actually is that huge of a crime. Not knowing what Auschwitz is, on the other hand, does seem a little troubling in a school board trustee.

Saying it started in 46 as opposed to 67 isn't just a slip up of the date. It is a clear statement that indicates the speaker believes ALL of Israel is on occupied territory and therefore illegitimate, as opposed to the more conventional view of those who criticize Israel that accept the legitimacy of Israel proper but object to its actions in Gaza and the West Bank.

It might be an anti-Israel or anti-Zionist comment but I don't think that makes it anti-Semitic.

She has repeatedly said that she accepts the two-state solution. Not only in the video where she is accused of being an anti-semite but elsewhere as well.

The only reason the rabid dogs are after her is because she openly criticized Israel's illegal actions and she supports the BDS movement.

It might be an anti-Israel or anti-Zionist comment but I don't think that makes it anti-Semitic.

Virtually all anti-Zionists are anti-Semites. I take it as a given that anyone who uses the term pejoratively is an anti-Semite.

Edited by Argus

Virtually all anti-Zionists are anti-Semites. I take it as a given that anyone who uses the term pejoratively is an anti-Semite.

What a fantastic way to stifle any criticism!

So you think people would've cared less had Israelis been non-Jewish European? Or Chinese? Or polka-dot?