Can you name 10 REAL achievements of PM Stephen Harper?

Go.Leafs

The first deficit was in2008-2009, and none (or almost none) of the deficit spending actually took place until 2009 calendar year. That means that so far, 3 out of 9 years have been in surplus.

As for the debt, what about it? The spending was initiated because of the failed 2008 parliamentary crisis. It's similar to spending undertaken by every other country. There's a reason every country in the world and every province in Canada added to their respective debts. What's worth noting is that almost all of them are still in deficit. Germany, Canada, and a few of the provinces aren't.

As has been discussed, it's only us of the G7 who remained in deficit.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, my bad. I meant to say in recession, not deficit. Although we may still be in that as well.

What's the matter, lose your script? We already went over that:

We never had any of the economic problems that are plaguing other countries around the world. Government revenues are up, taxes are down, jobs are up, exports are up, inflation is down, interest rates are low, debt to GDP is low, the middle class has grown. Under other Prime Ministers, we did have trouble with many of those things.

Let's see...

1. Canada-Korea free trade agreement.

2. Canada-Peru free trade agreement.

3. Canada-Honduras free trade agreement.

4. Canada-Panama free trade agreement.

5. Canada-Jordan free trade agreement.

6. Canada-Columbia free trade agreement.

7. Canada-Ukraine free trade agreement.

8. Attempts to get free trade with the EU.

9. Attempts to conclude the TPP.

10. Tax free savings accounts.

Jobs are up? No.

1.3 million more jobs is most certainly "UP". Since the recession, the labour force has increased by 7.23% (which is the best in the G7) that is definitely "UP".

Taxes are down? No.

Lowest taxes since the 1950's, definitely "DOWN".

Inflation is down? Of course. That's one thing that happen's when economic growth is flat.

Yes. Thank you for repeating what I already wrote a couple of pages back: When jobs are up, exports are up, interest rates are low, taxes are low, and the middle class is growing, all flat growth means is prices are lower too. Consumers demand lower prices, and they're getting what they've asked for.

Debt is huge.

We've already been through this. As a percentage of revenue, it's shrinking.

The middle class are being laid off in droves.

The job market is much stronger, and our middle class is the wealthiest in the world.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1284297/canadas-middle-class-most-prosperous-in-world-report/

1.3 million more jobs is most certainly "UP". Since the recession, the labour force has increased by 7.23% (which is the best in the G7) that is definitely "UP".

Lowest taxes since the 1950's, definitely "DOWN".

Yes. Thank you for repeating what I already wrote a couple of pages back: When jobs are up, exports are up, interest rates are low, taxes are low, and the middle class is growing, all flat growth means is prices are lower too. Consumers demand lower prices, and they're getting what they've asked for.

We've already been through this. As a percentage of revenue, it's shrinking.

The job market is much stronger, and our middle class is the wealthiest in the world.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1284297/canadas-middle-class-most-prosperous-in-world-report/

Sorry.

http://www.pressprogress.ca/6_charts_show_stephen_harper_has_the_worst_economic_record_of_any_prime_minister_since_world_war_ii

Wrong question in my opinion! No sense in attacking the current PM for adjustments made in order to keep Canada on top of the WORLD.....

The question that should be asked is.....How would a Liberal/NDP government performed during the last 8yrs considering how US/Europe/China has clearly either been in recession or on the verge of a recession?

I'm of the opinion that Mr. Harper as an economist understands that it's better for the government to run deficits and increase debt rather than choke off the economy with higher taxes....After all the government has minimal revenue streams other then increasing taxes....We're overly burdened by taxes thanks to the Liberals....sooner or later our pockets have less spare change to spend in the local economies.

Think about how increasing taxes to offset deficits is good for our economy.....it's not good whatsoever.....Mr. Harper will have to continue cutting Government fat and lowering taxes until the global economies get back on track....

US (Obama) should have followed Harpers lead on supporting the US economy with increased infrastructure spending which would have created good quality paying jobs rather then support the large corporations with bailouts.....

Harper increased infrastucture spending which was a positive for construction industry.....Good money spent....

If you want to pay more taxes and lower your take home pay then vote Liberal or NDP....

The phrase "we out West" is maybe one reason people from the east shut down when they hear regional types spewing their conspiracy theories. Nobody here cares. It's a myth that we think Ontario is the centre of the universe; I hear it more often from people in other parts of the country.

I have to agree with you 100% on tuning out, the west only matters when transfer payments stop flowing or, as will occur again, transfer payment start flowing again back to the west.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Canada_Independence_Party

Interesting read for such a short summary. Talk of corrupt government, illegal government, ending Prime Ministerial dictatorship, democracy, elected senate, and all those things apparently of a big issue with the federal gov right now all go back decades. Funny how these things work eh? Anyone say media influenced? As the pundit from Quebec said last night on The National, election issues should not be determined in an editorial boardroom in Toronto. Those wacky conspiracy theorists.

And no there is no reason for the west to feel left out, we can be sure that the Liberal $10B yearly deficit will be spread evenly across Canada and not by population. And a $15 federal minimum wage will enrich the same number of people in each province/territory. Hmmmm, no vote buying going on here, nothing to see, it us conspiracy thinkers as our political parties will surely be elected on platforms that treat each part of Canada equally. Although cant quite figure out Harpers regional based platform. I guess if energy sector keeps doing well all the easterners out west wont be moving back home looking for jobs so dont know if that policy favors the west or Canada as a whole, tough call there.

Better for people who want their taxes to go up. Whoever those people are.

From the plan provided he does have the better tax plan for me. He also has a plan that will bring me more business in the form of an enriched child tax scheme for people with less income. He also has the best plan on the Senate. I don't hate Harper, but I'm certainly not married to him or the idea of voting Conservative.

From the plan provided he does have the better tax plan for me. He also has a plan that will bring me more business in the form of an enriched child tax scheme for people with less income. He also has the best plan on the Senate. I don't hate Harper, but I'm certainly not married to him or the idea of voting Conservative.

Liberals say a lot of things. It's pretty consistent historically when a Liberal says he'll lower your taxes, it means they'll put $5 in one pocket while taking ten out of the other. There's a huge hole in his costing, he WILL raise your taxes to cover it, you can bet your house on it.