Can you name 10 REAL achievements of PM Stephen Harper?

Go.Leafs

Yes, he shut down Parliament twice and gave them time to reflect upon their insolence, and he lowered the GST, and this TPP might turn out to be a good thing, but we should at least see a draft of it before October 19th eh?

Lowereing the GST is not an "accomplishment".... it is a failure.

The overwhelming majority of economists privately decried that as a bad move for the country, but it was politically popular. There will come a time when income taxes will be have to be reduced and offset with a GST increase, because that is the smart thing to do..... just to find the guy with the political will to do it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overwhelming majority of economists privately decried that as a bad move for the country, but it was politically popular. There will come a time when income taxes will be have to be reduced and offset with a GST increase, because that is the smart thing to do..... just to find the guy with the political will to do it.

Eh? GST really messes with the poor much more than those who aren't poor. Love it or hate it, I think the poor would much rather have a GST cut than an income tax cut, when they don't even pay taxes!

Yes, he shut down Parliament twice and gave them time to reflect upon their insolence, and he lowered the GST, and this TPP might turn out to be a good thing, but we should at least see a draft of it before October 19th eh?

They're trying. If I represented the US or Japan, as an example, would I care that an election is happening in Canada and drop everything I'm doing for Canada? Me thinks not.

Eh? GST really messes with the poor much more than those who aren't poor. Love it or hate it, I think the poor would much rather have a GST cut than an income tax cut, when they don't even pay taxes!

The GST is not in isolation.

A GST rebate for the poor is the usual remedy and very easy to implement at income tax time. As I said, it would be offset by reduction in income taxes, but would be offset MORE or even rebated for the poorest.

Edited by Icebound

The GST is not in isolation.

A GST rebate for the poor is the usual remedy and very easy to implement at income tax time. As I said, it would be offset by reduction in income taxes, but would be offset MORE or even rebated for the poorest.

Rebates don't happen nearly as often enough for the poor. Buying anything from a store would hit the poor because of GST. This could be once a day or more than once a day.

It's an accomplishment in my books and many others some of which are:

Adoption Expense Tax Credit increased — from a one-time $13,100 to 15,000 in 2014

Adult “Basic” Education Northern Initiative — announced by PM Harper on Thursday, Feb. 23rd, 2012 in Iqaluit, for Aboriginal people living in the three territories

Aga Khan and PM Harper open Ismaili Centre and Aga Khan Museum — a multicultural partnership dedicated to artistic & intellectual contributions by Muslims Age of Consent Legislation — raised from 14 to 16 effective May 1, 2008

Arctic All-Season Highway — a 137 kilometer project linking Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk and the Arctic Ocean for first time

Arctic Research Council launched to improve lives for people in the North — for resource development, shipping, marine safety, community infrastructure

Benin Foreign Investment & Promotion Protection Agreement (FIPA) — legally binding rights and obligations with respect to investment in effect May 12, 2014

Canada Apprentice Loan Program — up to $4000 for those registered in any Red Seals apprenticeship training announced in January 2015

Canada’s Citizenship Act Amendment — to reduce processing time to less than a year and reducing backlog by over 80%

Eeyou Marine Region Land Claims Agreement — between Canada, Nunavut and Grand Council of the Crees

Gender Equity in Indian Registration — legislation that addresses a court ruling on gender discrimination in the Indian Act

And my favourite Income Splitting for Canadian Seniors — a change to the Income Tax Act for pensioners starting in 2006

There's more...

It's an accomplishment in my books and many others some of which are:

There's more...

on my!... cutting and pasting a list of perceived accomplishments listed by some blogger... one you won't even give a cited reference acknowledgement to!

that list is like a ping-pong ball at the moment - lot's of interesting comment scrutinizing it to no end! Significant numbers of those on the list are only viewed as 'positive' accomplishments by Harper proponents... some are almost banal in their lack of significance to the general public or impact at all... some can't be judged on results for some time, some are simply announcements, etc..

Is there a thread yet on The One Accomplishment of Justin Trudeau?.

OK, he did beat up that Senator.

Well, he proved that he could survive an extra-long campaign.... which was specifically designed to be so long that it would provide lots of opportunities to destroy himself with his supposed "inexperience".

Instead, the extra time gave him extra opportunity to introduce himself to more Canadians, especially in the West.... and it looks now like quite a few Canadians.... while not necessarily "enamoured".... are at least "satisfied"..

1. Lowered gst

2. TPP

3. CETA

4. Tfsas

5. Income splitting

6. Balanced budget

7. Performance during economic crisis - also issuing warning about canadians taking on too much debt

8. Numerous bilateral trade agreements with other countries

9. Corporate tax rate cuts

10. Ending the canadian wheat board monopoly thus ensuring western grain farmers have the same opportunities as eastern grain farmers.

11. End of long gun registry

12. Resedential school settlement

13. Declaration of quebec as a nation within united canada thus the start of the kneecapping the bq

Sounds pretty successful to me.

Edited by blueblood

real Harper achievement? Well... he played a GameShowHost at a campaign stop today! :lol:

unfortunately for Harper Conservatives, fact-checkers follow to flush out more of Harper's porkies: A reality check on Stephen Harper’s math: ‘Ka-ching.’

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper played game show host Monday to demonstrate the thousands of dollars Conservatives claim would be taken from the average family’s pocket if Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau were to win power on Oct. 19.

To the constant “ka-ching, ka-ching” chirp of a cash register, Nicole Ropp, a married mother of three, piled up $20 bills as Harper rhymed off a list of a purported tax increases Canadians can expect from a Liberal government. For the Ropp family, it all added up to about $8,000, according to Harper.

However, Harper’s list included a number of alleged tax hikes that aren’t on the Liberal agenda and omitted a number of other measures aimed at giving middle-class families more, not less, money.

The question should be Are u better off today than u were 2006.....my family not....job losses, income down 1/2, Harper didn't really help the middle class worker.

Help yourself, try that. Contrary to the opinions of proponents of the welfare state, it isn't actually the PM's job to find you a job, or control the economy such that your job is always going to be there.

Help yourself, try that. Contrary to the opinions of proponents of the welfare state, it isn't actually the PM's job to find you a job, or control the economy such that your job is always going to be there.

oh... this could be interesting! Just what is the PMs job... just what did Stephen Harper do to, apparently, meet your measure of that job performance?