Old Stock Canadians

Big Guy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these things are ok until the definition changes from "a group of people who follow a set of principles" to the point where the principles are secondary and the social desires to conform, deflect and stick to the tribe overcome the desires to follow the principles.

And how is that any more prevalent among conservatives than among liberals or, God help us, 'progressives'?

I would argue the desire to conform is far more absolute among progressives than any other group.

Well, speaking as an Earthling old stock suggests Neanderthal to me. In any case...

"we do not offer them a better health-care plan than the ordinary Canadian can receive. I think that's something that new and old stock Canadians can agree with."

What really goes without saying is that everyone in Canada should receive the same health care as anyone else in need of care. If Canadians are of some view that this should not be the case then they should say so more clearly. But with Harper of course, speaking clearly could mean just about anything.

Nobody's restricting thoughts here. What an intellectually disingenuous thing to say. Harper can say whatever he wants and people have the right, actually the duty, to analyze and criticize what he says.

"The "sinister" part is that we would even THINK to divide people as if they were a commodity.... "

That's from Icebound above. I guess he's just criticizing but he's criticizing thought, which isn't practical.

"Stock" is a word that carries baggage with it. It calls back to the recent past when Canada had eugenics programs in many provinces. The Michener Institute in Alberta was sterilizing "mental defectives" as recently as 1970. He certainly didn't mean it that way, but the connotation comes along with the word. He could have said literally anything else to make the same point and it wouldn't have had that baggage.

It also could mean 'stock' market, and 'stock' means cattle which reveals Stephen Harper is coding messages to the 1% and Alberta... yadda yadda...

Deconstructing speech seems particularly pointless when people don't actually pay attention to numbers and details of important issues. It becomes a parlour game that substitutes for relevant political discussion IMO.

And as far as his point goes, new stock and old stock Canadians clearly delineates two classes of citizenship: citizens by birthright and naturalized citizens. It highlights the thinking in this government that not all citizens are equal.

That's a jump. Policies need to be explained to groups that can be defined any way you want them - but immigration certainly needs to be explained to Canadians who are entrenched in their history, and therefore power and influence in Canada.

And how is that any more prevalent among conservatives than among liberals or, God help us, 'progressives'?

It's not. It's exactly the same. Haven't you noticed the extreme pushback I get on here from left-of-centre posters when I advocate for freer trade or protection of [Christian] religious rights ?

I would argue the desire to conform is far more absolute among progressives than any other group.

I would argue that this is a sign that you identify too much with the other group.

Justin used it, so did his father, as did Stephan Dionne. Jason Kenney used it once, when he gave a talk about the need for "new Canadians" and "old stock Canadians" to get to know one another better.

JT's remark seems more aware of the potential meaning of the term than Harper's was, though.

This old stock thing would flown over my head completely if it hadn't been pointed out to me. I can't say I find it that offensive.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

I'd be willing to bet that a much larger share of those who care about fiscal prudence are those who contribute to the fisc, as opposed to those eager to spend that money on anything which strikes their fancy.

I'd be willing to bet anyone who gets near all that public lolly would spend it in the manner you describe.

Le Devoir There you go, the money quote in two languages. Uh, quelle ironie.

I think that any intelligent person understands that some people are born in Canada and others where born elsewhere but migrated to Canada. These are facts. We have procedures that clearly define how one can become a citizen. We must have these things to control exploitation of our free services.

Dose Tom not understand that not all people are as perfect intentioned and honourable as he think he is? Is he so naive to think that no one could want to try and get free health care by trying to exploit our kind innocents?

I think Mr. Montclair is trying to play good old goody touchoo politics. And paint Harper in a negative way as intolorent. Tom is playing the bleeding hart card.

Edited by Freddy

I don't think it's reasonable to put restrictions on thoughts. And of course people will think that way. As Kimmy says, this is spin and people needing to write something.

We cannot prevent sinister thoughts. But we do not act on them.

And we certainly should not run a country by people who think that way and act on it.

and Kimmy may be right in that this is not PARTICULARLY sinister. But it still reveals a bit about the mind of the man. Leaders of this country should not be thinking that way.

Edited by Icebound

Well, gee, I guess I should be terrified, then, since I was born abroad while dad was posted overseas. Watch me shake.

Geez, I was conceived in the UK and born in Canada. I qualify for British citizenship through my mother. My sister got it but I haven't bothered. Guess I should be shaking in my boots as well.

I already explained why he has to think that way. He has to consider how policies will play with Canadians of all kinds.

In some sense i agree with your point. There IS a difference between campaigning and actual leadership.

I have often said that I rather vote for the politician who lies during the campaign, reverses himself while in power.... when the pre-election promise was the wrong thing to do and the reversal was the right thing to do. So if he splits the populace into old-and-new stock to gain votes, but does not really believe it, I can have some sympathy.

But in an issue such as this, a "LEADER" might be more of a leader if he used his pulpit to educate rather than pander.

In some sense i agree with your point. There IS a difference between campaigning and actual leadership.

I have often said that I rather vote for the politician who lies during the campaign, reverses himself while in power.... when the pre-election promise was the wrong thing to do and the reversal was the right thing to do. So if he splits the populace into old-and-new stock to gain votes, but does not really believe it, I can have some sympathy.

But in an issue such as this, a "LEADER" might be more of a leader if he used his pulpit to educate rather than pander.

I don't have much sympathy for a leader who tries to win through divisive identity politics. This isn't about promising to kill the GST and then not doing it, because it turns out the GST makes good sense.

But I'll be the first to say I think this has been blown completely out of proportion. It does go to prove that Harper is quite capable of his own bozo moments, and that of the three, Mulcair is pretty much the best debater.

I already explained why he has to think that way. He has to consider how policies will play with Canadians of all kinds.

Why? In 2011, about 5.8 million people voted Conservative which is around 17% of Canada's population. In return for convincing 17% of the population to vote for him, he received 54% of the seats, which gave him 100% of the power. So, at the very most, he needs to consider how 17% of Canadians will view his policies. And that 17% is not spread across the population. It is mostly older, less educated, less intelligent, white middle aged males.

But it gets worse than that.

Most of the party's core supporters have decided well in advance of the election where their vote is going. So barring something truly bizarre, he has to focus on a much smaller number of people in "swing ridings" where the seats will be determined on the basis of undecided voters.

yay for democracy in Canada.