The cost of Migrants

Not all refugees are from Syria - Top 5

Palestine 5,272,000, Syria 3,342,550, Iraq 1,428,308, Somalia 1,077,048, Sudan 500,014

I've been saying for awhile now...especially a year or two ago before the stream of refugees started reaching Europe, that this was a crisis of the Global South, and not something that could be easily defined with one simple cause/and one simple solution. All of these countries (including Palestine) have been subject to increasingly severe droughts in the past 10 to 20 years. In Sudan, the ethnic cleansings and wars perpetrated by the northern tribes that controlled the Sudan, responded to the drought by just taking more land from those to the west and in the south...it had nothing to do with religion....and that's why after a coalition of evangelical whackjobs and US NGO's (fronted by George Clooney) successfully lobbied to make South Sudan an independent nation, it's still the same warring cluster**** that it was before the war started...btw, where the hell is George Clooney, and why hasn't anyone in Hollywood with a microphone asked him about the value of his work and lobbying efforts?

Palestine has the added problem along with declining water availability of not having control of underground aquifer sources of water. Israel controls the water, and uses most of the waters they share in common and even the bulk of the aquifers located in the West Bank for their goddammed new settler colonies! According to the UN agency tasked with monitoring this issue, Gaza's drinking water supplies will be unusable likely even before 2020.....what then? If refugees in Gaza are able to escape from the world's largest open air prison colony, who's shores will they end up on?

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Jordan has been a proxy US colony since...forever! But, the aid provided to house what are largely US-created refugees is not completely picked up by the US...especially now that millions are on the move. UN agencies like UNHCR scrupulously avoid judgment and just go about the task of providing aid....and shaking down monthly donors for more and more money!

Really ? Guess which nation provides the most funding to UNHCR.....

Total contributions to UNHCR in 2012 (USD)

Donor                           Contribution       JPOs           Total

United States of America 	791,120,742 	2,350,000 	793,470,742
Japan 	                        184,840,510 	  539,476 	185,379,986
European Union 	                166,944,814 	        0 	166,944,814
Sweden 	                        117,915,465 	  385,782 	118,301,246
Netherlands 	                102,169,590 	1,263,261 	103,432,851
United Kingdom 	                 99,585,966 	        0 	99,585,966
Norway 	                         83,994,687 	  868,256 	84,862,943
Germany 	                 68,200,819 	1,061,627 	69,262,446
Canada 	                         64,989,067 	        0 	64,989,067
Denmark 	                 57,646,744 	  492,809 	58,139,553
Australia 	                 48,379,940 	  264,533 	48,644,473
Switzerland 	                 37,340,180 	  207,279 	37,547,459
Finland 	                 23,805,751 	  522,412 	24,328,164
France 	                         22,491,363 	  768,576 	23,259,939
Belgium 	                 16,850,476 	        0 	16,850,476
Spain [2] 	                 13,979,819 	  937,090 	14,916,910
Saudi Arabia 	                 13,698,670 	        0 	13,698,670
Italy 	                         12,827,585 	        0 	12,827,585
Ireland 	                 12,090,556 	        0 	12,090,556
Luxembourg 	                 10,415,584 	   99,424 	10,515,008

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49c3646c26c.html

Christianity supports cultural values that are barbaric too.

And I know the laundry list of bad verses too. But, even though I'm not a Christian, I know that the theme throughout the New Testament (and even the OT prophets) was about concern for the poor and deprived. But, the fact that we have Christianities focused on accumulating wealth and congratulating the rich (something you sure as hell can't justify from the Bible) tells me that Christianity, like all organized religions, is a collection of beliefs and practices that end up being used for any good or evil purpose regardless of its origins and traditions.

A case in point today, would be look at that goddammed Hungarian Catholic Church from top to bottom, and compare the attitude of its archbishop and most Hungarian Catholics interviewed with what their supposed leader is telling them should be the Christian response to a refugee crisis! It's not like all Christians are following the Hungarian example of threatening to kill any new refugees entering their country...many are doing what they can to take in refugees.....I even learned of a small village in southern Italy that in the last few years, has taken in many new immigrants and refugees, and sees them as a solution to their aging and emigration problem....not a burden that they would rather not have to deal with.

The long walks across countries. The risky boat rides across the waters. It's more risky for children to go through these than to stay in their refugee camps in Turkey and other areas.

Eventually, once the men have found a country who will take them, then the process of bringing the rest of the family begins. This process is common.

So in short the ones arriving in Europe in waves are not the ones who need help the most?

-k

Because Jordan has been a proxy US colony since...forever! But, the aid provided to house what are largely US-created refugees is not completely picked up by the US...especially now that millions are on the move. UN agencies like UNHCR scrupulously avoid judgment and just go about the task of providing aid....and shaking down monthly donors for more and more money!

Yes, Jordan is clearly the 51st state.

Man, the rhetoric if a country has even a modicum of good relations with those "damn muricans".

Now the Conservatives are saying that they take 20,000 refugees!!. They do everything to move up in the polls.

Realistically, given the media fuss of late, and even if there were no election in the offing, it's likely they would increase their targets somewhat. Any government would.

What I do like is they're not crying and sobbing on air like Trudeau, and demanding we open the doors wide. And make no mistake, under either Mulcair or Trudeau the number of refugees would quickly rise into six figures.

These people are poor. Syrians Hate Jews and Israel. View women as second class. View homosexualty as a crime.

How is this culture going to mesh with our own

Support for sharia law, and all that entails, is very high in the region. 74% in Egypt, 91% in Iraq, 89% in the Palestinian territories, 71% in Jordan. Pew didn't survey Syria in its last report because of the war but there's no reason to think it's any lower than the rest. On the question of whether women must wear veils, 87% in the middle east and north Africa said a wife must obey her husband.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/

Support for sharia law, and all that entails, is very high in the region. 74% in Egypt, 91% in Iraq, 89% in the Palestinian territories, 71% in Jordan. Pew didn't survey Syria in its last report because of the war but there's no reason to think it's any lower than the rest. On the question of whether women must wear veils, 87% in the middle east and north Africa said a wife must obey her husband.

Based on your own statistics (and i am no expert to say true or false) there is about 15% to 30% (and I am sure much more in other countries like Iran, Turkey, Morocco, Tunisia) who can come here and become a model citizen so why you exclude everyone from middle east for immigration and paint them all as backward and anti women?

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Based on your own statistics (and i am no expert to say true or false) there is about 15% to 30% (and I am sure much more in other countries like Iran, Turkey, Morocco, Tunisia) who can come here and become a model citizen so why you exclude everyone from middle east for immigration and paint them all as backward and anti women?

Because we can't easily separate them out from the mass of people who are perfectly in tune to their country's social values, especially when based on religious teachings.

You're proposing that the refugee process and migration are more dangerous than staying in Syria? I find that pretty difficult to believe.

-k

No, I'm suggesting refugees know the process is hopelessly inadequate for the circumstances and that many are trying to get out ASAP before it completely breaks down. Europe will reach it's inevitable political limits of how many can be taken or allowed in. Refugees know, probably better than us, they're in a desperate and deadly race against time as well as everything else they're fleeing.

Some people have made a bit of deal about refugees with smartphones and not looking overly bedraggled or destitute but why should it be so surprising, shocking or even evil that enterprising people of means and ability are at the forefront of the tsunami of humanity that is and continues to be displaced?

Edited by eyeball

No, I'm suggesting refugees know the process is hopelessly inadequate for the circumstances and that many are trying to get out ASAP before it completely breaks down. Europe will reach it's inevitable political limits of how many can be taken or allowed in. Refugees know, probably better than us they're in a desperate and deadly race against time as well as everything else they're fleeing.

Some people have made a bit of deal about refugees with smartphones and not looking overly bedraggled or destitute but why should it be so surprising, shocking or even evil that enterprising people of means and ability are at the forefront of the tsunami of humanity that is and continues to be displaced?

Why are they such cowards? They should pick up a weapon and fight for the country they love.

If another country attacked Canada I would grab my guns and defend Canada. I wouldn't run away. I'd give my life for this country.

Why aren't these Syrians doing the same?

Why are they such cowards? They should pick up a weapon and fight for the country they love.

If another country attacked Canada I would grab my guns and defend Canada. I wouldn't run away. I'd give my life for this country.

Why aren't these Syrians doing the same?

Maybe they don't love the country. Not everyone is a Nationalist.

Edited by PrimeNumber

No I did not flee per se.

Per se? Not on a desperately overcrowded boat but safely on a airplane...perchance?

I suspect every single refugee arriving in a boat would probably give their right arm to get their kids safely out another way if they could.

Edited by eyeball

Per se? Not on a desperately overcrowded boat but safely on a airplane...perchance?

I suspect every single refugee arriving in one today would probably give their right arm to get their kids safely out another way if they could.

I left SA in 1992. On an airplane. First Class cabin. Arrived well rested and clean. I didn't cone here and go on welfare. I bought a house. Started doing business and was just as sucessful here as I was in SA.

These people are coming here begging for handouts. Going on welfare. Using our resources. I suspect that most of the immigrants we take in today from the third world will be as sucessful as they were in the third world country they came from.

We should only be taking in the educated or people with wealth.

We don't need anymore garbage people. We have enough already. The mere sight of them makes me ill. Such low class.

Why does the left want to import large amounts of third world people so badly? I don't understand it. They're dragging Canada down.

Edited by Canada_First