Women and Jews on a plane

msj

Accommodate Orthodox Jews or not?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you say so. Western Democracy was based on separation of church and state, but if you think otherwise I'm sure there are many who agree.

I am arguing for the separation of church and state. Those who think religion deserves special protections are the ones arguing against it.

If you say so. Western Democracy was based on separation of church and state, but if you think otherwise I'm sure there are many who agree.

How would thinking that a law that accomodates religious views to ridiculous extremes is a bad law in any way conflict with the view that the church and the state should be separate?

Edited by bcsapper

Don't get me wrong, that's what I'd like to do, but I'm anti-confrontational in nature when dealing with other people in person. Furthermore, that might be downright dangerous. If someone is so brainwashed with religious mumbo jumbo that they can't bear to sit next to me, hearing my voice in reply might just set them off in a murderous rage. People who seriously hold such ideas have such a twisted version of morality and such an alien pattern of thinking that predicting what will set them off is impossible. They are dangerous creatures to be avoided. I'd rather not take the risk.

It's simple, You, & I have similarities in ideology but one major difference that changes the way we behave. I no longer fear death, as you obviously still do. I embrace and welcome the day it will arrive, and if I can take a few religious nut jobs while I'm at it at the same time. Even better. Edited by Freddy

It's simple, You, & I have similarities in ideology but one major difference that changes the way we behave. I no longer fear death, as you obviously still do. I embrace and welcome the day it will arrive

Yes, of course I fear death, and proud of it too.

How would thinking that a law that accomodates religious views to ridiculous extremes is a bad law in any way conflict with the view that the church and the state should be separate?

We're not talking about a law - it's about a private business choosing to accommodate someone.

Accommodating religion also means exempting them from some Canadian laws.

The law allows for sexism as part of religious expression. That way, the law is kept away from matters of religion. If you require, for example, the Catholic church to hire women priests, then you're bringing the state in.

We're not talking about a law - it's about a private business choosing to accommodate someone.

If you go back a bit, you'll see we were talking about a law. You started it, in fact.

You may think that way but the law disagrees with you.

Edited by bcsapper

The law allows for sexism as part of religious expression. That way, the law is kept away from matters of religion. If you require, for example, the Catholic church to hire women priests, then you're bringing the state in.

I see.

Ya well my anti-religion doesn't allow a priest to sit next to me. :)

Yes, we did slip into talking about the law, generally. You're right. But there's no law forcing the airline to accommodate, nor do I feel there should be.

However, if the airline wants to do it - why not ?

Yes, I'm sure they can. The OP and my (and other) agreement was more that they shouldn't, and they should probably take great delight in not doing so as well.

I suppose the two are not mutually exclusive.

There's nothing wrong with not touching something your religion says you are not to touch. Could help prevent blindness.

Just don't make someone move to avoid it. Take responsibility. Catch another flight. Convert to Buddhism. There are options.

Edited by bcsapper

It doesn't give them the right to be a bigot. Religious freedom ends as soon as it impacts someone else's.