Are Ontario teachers really going to Strike?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People in this thread are saying how hard the job is.

You want to do it?

Or do you just want to complain?

There is an element to supply and demand to all employment. I guess except in the public sector.

Not true ... and absurd.

Staffing is a formula based on #students and class sizes.

Some teachers on temporary contracts are hired and laid off every year as needed.

And I love how calling people children is childish.

Yes it is.

Edited by jacee

I bet I can find a TFW willing to do your job just as well for less.....is that irrevelant too?

So we're talking about Temporary Foreign Workers now? I guess that's the same type of hyperbole that comes up when people say that banking sick days is something that shouldn't be offered and the rebut is that Unions keep everyone from making minimum wage.

But to your point, you most certainly could. But then again, I'm not bitching about my working conditions and threatening to strike.

So we're talking about Temporary Foreign Workers now? I guess that's the same type of hyperbole that comes up when people say that banking sick days is something that shouldn't be offered and the rebut is that Unions keep everyone from making minimum wage.

But to your point, you most certainly could. But then again, I'm not bitching about my working conditions and threatening to strike.

Yes it is hyperbole....just as nauseating as your exaggeration. Teachers are collective bargaining.....you characterize it as bitching.

It's not BS; it's reality. I guess you are a supporter of under the table neo-liberal tactics. Well, I'm not.

the tactics that The Ontario Government is displaying right now?

But Wynne will pull through for you right?

Bob Rea

Mike Harris

Ernie Eves

Dalton Mcguinty

and now Kathleen Wynne.

Three parties and very different people with very very different points of view. Yet they all have had the same battle with the same people......

Edited by Ash74

the tactics that The Ontario Government is displaying right now?

But Wynne will pull through for you right?

Bob Rea

Mike Harris

Ernie Eves

Dalton Mcguinty

and now Kathleen Wynne.

Three parties and very different people with very very different points of view. Yet they all have had the same battle with the same people......

Duh ... ya ... because the government is in negotiations with public employees.

Contractual collective bargaining.

It's a process.

Duh ... ya ... because the government is in negotiations with public employees.

Contractual collective bargaining.

It's a process.

What is more likely there sparky is the union wants arbitration Will get a better deal than bargaining.

This is all just huffing and puffing so the next contract talks is even stronger.

What is more likely there sparky

No name calling.

is the union wants arbitration Will get a better deal than bargaining.

This is all just huffing and puffing so the next contract talks is even stronger.

This is contract talks with strike mandate.

Public high school teachers in Durham, east of Toronto, went on strike Monday. Teachers at 16 public high schools in Waterloo Region could strike May 4.

Public elementary school teachers have requested a Ministry of Labour report that, when issued, allows them to strike 17 days later across Ontario

Catholic teachers are voting this week on a provincial strike mandate, but have no strike deadline.

Teachers have been without a contract since last August.

- See more at: http://m.therecord.com/news-story/5567214-odds-rising-of-strike-by-teachers-in-waterloo-region-and-across-province/#sthash.6xRCQWc7.dpuf

Edited by jacee

Not about money eh?

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/04/20/teachers-strike-starts-an-unwelcome-education.html

While bargaining takes place in private, there are hints talks are getting bogged down partly because Education Minister Liz Sandals has insisted there is no new money for raises because of the public-sector wage freeze. There’s also a proposal for an unpaid day off, as well as slower movement up the salary grid. As well, the school boards want to eliminate a new hiring system based on seniority which they say disadvantages fresh rookies, but which teachers’ unions say avoids favoritism in hiring.

What did I say about seniority and automatic raises that don't take into account performance earlier in this thread?

Nobody said there wasn't a wage issue. Of course there is. It's collective bargaining.

What did I say about seniority and automatic raises that don't take into account performance earlier in this thread?

It's pretty standard to get annual raises everywhere.

What's your point?

Nobody said there wasn't a wage issue. Of course there is. It's collective bargaining.

It's pretty standard to get annual raises everywhere.

What's your point?

These aren't annual cost of living raises. They're promotions based on years of service, and the province wants to slow that rate down. Also, as far as I know, teachers still get these grid raises, even though there's supposed to be a wage freeze.

You're right that many employers give annual cost of living increases, BUT If a private employer was in as much debt as the provincial government, I'd imagine there'd be across the board layoffs. We don't see that in the public sector. So we have a wage freeze instead. Can't have it both ways.

Edited by Boges

See the TDSB and how the province has threatened to take them over because they refuse to close half empty schools?

Supply and Demand indeed.

Support the merger of the Segregated and Public boards and eliminate the inequity in supporting one religion with tax payer funds. When you break down all capital costs, the segregated board receives more funding per student because they are building more schools resulting in more half empty schools....

Also, remove communities from the process of choosing which schools to close will expedite the closure process dramatically. People fight with emotions over old buildings that cost more to keep running than to bulldoze and rebuild...

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Support the merger the Segregated and Public boards and eliminate the inequity in supporting one religion with tax payer funds. When you break down all capital costs, the segregated board receives more funding per student because they are building more schools resulting in more half empty schools....

Also, remove communities from the process of choosing which schools to close will expedite the closure process dramatically. People fight with emotions over old buildings that cost more to keep running than to bulldoze and rebuild...

Not even this government is going to touch the Catholic Board issue. I haven't even heard it mentioned by anyone except people that work in a public school saying they want the money from the Catholic students.

Regardless, if the system is based purely on enrolment, that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

As for communities, I agree. And the people that don't want sparsely populated schools to close are the ones that probably would likely to vote for Trustees. They have to show some leadership on this issue I suppose.

Edited by Boges

Regardless, if the system is based purely on enrolment, that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Duplicating boards, offices, admin staff and all the infrastructure, plus maintenance and equipment costs all add up. Ontarians would save $1.5 billion by merging the Catholic system into the mainstream public system. It's a big issue and the obvious right thing to do, both financially and morally, but it's also politically toxic. We need Frank Underwood to get this done!

Duplicating boards, offices, admin staff and all the infrastructure, plus maintenance and equipment costs all add up. Ontarians would save $1.5 billion by merging the Catholic system into the mainstream public system. It's a big issue and the obvious right thing to do, both financially and morally, but it's also politically toxic. We need Frank Underwood to get this done!

I don't disagree. Why do we only hear about it on Message Boards? Why isn't this a demand from these teachers threatening to strike?

I suspect the potential jobs losses to middle managers at the board are the main reason. You immediately remove, or at least merge, an entire level of bureaucracy. That's gonna cost jobs.

As a side note, and complete thread drift, there's plenty of pointy heads that say, instead of this huge social safety net, we should just ensure every Canadian gets a minimum income, say $20,000/year. Wouldn't that be great? But in order for that to work, you'd have remove the social welfare industry. Imagine how many jobs that would cost?

Edited by Boges

Not even this government is going to touch the Catholic Board issue. I haven't even heard it mentioned by anyone except people that work in a public school saying they want the money from the Catholic students.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/11/03/public_funds_shouldnt_pay_for_catholic_schools_in_secular_ontario.html

There are plenty of people talking about it. There's actually a large number of Catholics that don't support keeping themselves segregated. Only Catholics who want to pretend the discussion doesn't exist to keep their inequitable system are the ones not talking about it.

I don't disagree. Why do we only hear about it on Message Boards? Why isn't this a demand from these teachers threatening to strike?

Many are...but in reality it's an issue beyond teacher pay scale. It would be like Bob McCown demanding Rogers sell off the Blue Jays during his contract negotiations.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/11/03/public_funds_shouldnt_pay_for_catholic_schools_in_secular_ontario.html

There are plenty of people talking about it. There's actually a large number of Catholics that don't support keeping themselves segregated. Only Catholics who want to pretend the discussion doesn't exist to keep their inequitable system are the ones not talking about it.

Didn't hear about it mentioned during the last Provincial Election. Not even by the NDP.