Are Ontario teachers really going to Strike?

Agreed. Or why wouldn't the parent make a complaint or inquiry to the school ?

Michael, here's a challenge for you: Go to a local public high school (just pick one) and ask for a list of the "films" they'll be showing in the English 20 and 30 classes that semester (not sure about Ontario, but that's basically grade 11 and 12 English classes). You may be surprised to see the names on the list.

My daughter (grade 12) and my son (grade 11) have seen some doozies.... Off the top of my head (in addition to the standard Macbeth, etc),

Gladiator (Eng 30) - ??????

A Beautiful Mind (Eng 20) - ??????

Space Chimps (Eng 30) - I have to believe that this one was just for fun....

Passchendaele (Eng 20) - This one actually made sense

Romeo and Juliet (Eng 20) - Hold on........I mean the 1996 version with Leo D

and my favorite

Salem's Lot (Eng 20) - That's right...the 1979 Stephen King film. Apparently had something to do with the class. For the life of me I can't imagine what.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and before it gets asked, I have spoken to the Assistant Principals that are responsible for grade 11 classes and grade 12 classes (they will NOT discuss courses that do not fall under their reign). The same answer from both: "teachers have latitude to introduce materials they feel are appropriate, blah, blah, blah..."

Amazing that they both gave me approximately the same answer. Almost like it was rehearsed. Weird, that.

Michael, here's a challenge for you: Go to a local public high school (just pick one) and ask for a list of the "films" they'll be showing in the English 20 and 30 classes that semester (not sure about Ontario, but that's basically grade 11 and 12 English classes). You may be surprised to see the names on the list.

My daughter (grade 12) and my son (grade 11) have seen some doozies.... Off the top of my head (in addition to the standard Macbeth, etc),

and my favorite

Salem's Lot (Eng 20) - That's right...the 1979 Stephen King film. Apparently had something to do with the class. For the life of me I can't imagine what.

Inglorious Bastards isn't on that list.

Agreed. Or why wouldn't the parent make a complaint or inquiry to the school ?

Michael, we do not complain to the District Superintendent simply because our kids are exceptionally smart. The system is set up for everyone to "pass" (whatever that means anymore), so kids who are smart can simply watch videos that the butt lazy teachers put on and still pass the exams later. We simply have a great laugh around the dinner table with the kids about which teachers are actually doing their job and which ones are gliding. And, quite frankly, we do not view it as our job to invoke changes at the school. That is the job of the administration. But, they are teachers also so.....

Not sure if you have kids or grandkids in the school system, but if you do, ask them about videos they watch in school. It will be a very enlightening discussion. Inglorious Basterds was the low point for our kids, but our older kid also got Catch Me if You Can for Planning and Dances with Wolves for Canadian history.

Now, when our son got to university, he got his world rocked pretty good. He was in no manner prepared for the reality of higher education, but he survived. The smart ones always do. The others flee to the Faculty of Education.

Edited by Pct2017

Michael, we do not complain to the District Superintendent simply because our kids are exceptionally smart

Your teacher is showing them an inappropriate film. If it were my kid I would complain to the school, not on a web board. You seem to think it's important enough to complain here. Did it really happen ? Your story seems pretty shaky to me.

Edited to add Parental Warnings for Inglorious Basterds:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/parentalguide?ref_=tt_ql_7

No.

Your teacher is showing them an inappropriate film. If it were my kid I would complain to the school, not on a web board. You seem to think it's important enough to complain here. Did it really happen ? Your story seems pretty shaky to me.

As I stated, if you have kids or grandkids, talk to them. You may just learn something.

The board does not consider any of these films "inappropriate". They simply revert to the "latitude that teachers have" bs.

Try and prove the films are "inappropriate". Good luck.

and my favorite

I don't see a problem with any of those ... Space Chimps questionable. If you want to know how they connect to curriculum ... ask the teacher ... or ask your kid.

You might learn something.

It's always entertaining to me that the most vocal teacher-bashers seem to be people who couldn't do a teacher's job. I'll bet you wouldn't last a day with classes of 30 teenagers, hydraboss. It would be educational for you. :)

Space Chimps actually made me laugh....

I may not have taught 30 teenagers, but I did teach large classes of adults when I was in college. Challenging but manageable. I also deal with 28 teenage students on the football field. Not the easiest task....but manageable.

Seriously Jacee.....no problem with Salem's Lot?? Don't disappoint me here.

Oh, and by the way... I got this from my kids who rolled their eyes when they listed the movies. They have no clue why they were shown.

So there :P

Edited by Hydraboss

Space Chimps actually made me laugh....

I may not have taught 30 teenagers, but I did teach large classes of adults when I was in college. Challenging but manageable. I also deal with 28 teenage students on the football field. Not the easiest task....but manageable.

Not the same. Think about it ... 3-4 classes a day ... 30 teenagers rolling their eyes at you ... at best.

Seriously Jacee.....no problem with Salem's Lot?? Don't disappoint me here.

Don't know ... not a Stephen King fan, don't know what the connection was. You should ask the teacher.

Oh, and by the way... I got this from my kids who rolled their eyes when they listed the movies. They have no clue why they were shown.

So there :P

Ask the teachers ... Before you slam them.

It's always entertaining to me that the most vocal teacher-bashers seem to be people who couldn't do a teacher's job. I'll bet you wouldn't last a day with classes of 30 teenagers, hydraboss. It would be educational for you. :)

Ah yes, the traditional line of last defence for all teachers, their spouses and their apologists. So, let us count the holes in that argument:

1) We did not choose the Faculty of Education back when we were choosing our career paths, so it is very unlikely that we would do a teachers job.

2) On the other hand, teachers made the decision to put themselves in front of a class of children. Or maybe they do not explain that part of the job in teacher school. So, if those that chose to be in front of the class find it so difficult that they feel obliged to complain to each and every one of us insessintly, well mayhaps they chose poorly and should reconsider.

3) Who is to say that the average teacher could manage any job outside of the classroom. Every job comes with its prickly points and pretty much universally, everyone thinks that their lot in the work place is difficult. Big difference though is that the rest of us do not feel that it is necessary to stand high on the mountain and bemoan our working conditions.

4) Obviously you are ignoring the fact that a teacher only has to stand in front of that class for 5.5 hours or less for about 190 days per year. And that does not even take into account the "I do not feel like working today so video it is" days.

5) Finally, let us not forget that teachers are paid very handsomely with a benefits package that most could only dream of, so having to put up with the inconvenience of actual children in the class should is well compensated for.

You listed questionable films that your kids saw, but didn't include IB. And you didn't answer my question.

You seem to be getting Hydraboss and myself mixed up, but maybe it is late where you are.

Not sure what question you are refering to, but if it is did it really happen, then that is easy. Yes. Telling the truth is always easier than lying because it is easier to remember later. No charge for the advice there old friend.

Ah yes, the traditional line of last defence for all teachers, their spouses and their apologists. So, let us count the holes in that argument:

1) We did not choose the Faculty of Education back when we were choosing our career paths, so it is very unlikely that we would do a teachers job.

Each to his own, it's true.

2) On the other hand, teachers made the decision to put themselves in front of a class of children. Or maybe they do not explain that part of the job in teacher school. So, if those that chose to be in front of the class find it so difficult that they feel obliged to complain to each and every one of us insessintly, well mayhaps they chose poorly and should reconsider.

They're not complaining. They're negotiating.

Hydraboss is complaining.

3) Who is to say that the average teacher could manage any job outside of the classroom. Every job comes with its prickly points and pretty much universally, everyone thinks that their lot in the work place is difficult. Big difference though is that the rest of us do not feel that it is necessary to stand high on the mountain and bemoan our working conditions.

They're negotiating ... or striking.

All a process.

You don't have a problem with that do you?

4) Obviously you are ignoring the fact that a teacher only has to stand in front of that class for 5.5 hours or less for about 190 days per year. And that does not even take into account the "I do not feel like working today so video it is" days.

5) Finally, let us not forget that teachers are paid very handsomely with a benefits package that most could only dream of, so having to put up with the inconvenience of actual children in the class should is well compensated for.

I'm talking teenagers. They don't like to be called children. And they have ways to make you suffer. :)

Each to his or her own in choice of livelihood, it's true.

Teachers have the additional 'pleasure' that negotiations, jobs, personal habits are all open to public scrutiny.

The opinion piece MH posted on the first page makes the point that there are an abundance of teachers. And in response, the government has actually made getting a teaching degree harder.

Only in the public sector, would an industry have the power to shut down schools when there are people lining up around the corner to do the same job.

I don't want to hear about how hard a job being a teacher is, I'm sure it's tough but if you don't like it QUIT. There'll be hundreds if not thousands of people lining up to replace you.

This is what bugs people about teachers. They've had beef with every governments since Bob Rae's NDP. They'll never be happy.

Individual teachers are probably great people, but as a collective they're an entitled bunch of children.

Edited by Boges

I don't want to hear about how hard a job being a teacher is, I'm sure it's tough but if you don't like it QUIT. There'll be hundreds if not thousands of people lining up to replace you.

Umm...that's not how collective bargaining works.

This is what bugs people about teachers. They've had beef with every governments since Bob Rae's NDP. They'll never be happy.

Everyone has had a beef with every government since Rae Days......why are teachers supposed to be smiles?

The opinion piece MH posted on the first page makes the point that there are an abundance of teachers. And in response, the government has actually made getting a teaching degree harder.

That happens in many professions serving the public - doctors, nurses, etc.

Only in the public sector, would an industry have the power to shut down schools when there are people lining up around the corner to do the same job.

Spoken like a true neo-liberal: Workers are disposable, interchangeable, just raw materials to be bought on the cheap, used up and spit out. 'Why not just get TFW's! They work cheap and don't complain!'

I don't want to hear about how hard a job being a teacher is, I'm sure it's tough but if you don't like it QUIT.

I haven't seen anyone complaining. They do have to educate the public about what their job involves, though, because people are often ignorant about the work they do outside the classroom.

There'll be hundreds if not thousands of people lining up to replace you.

Individual teachers are probably great people, but as a collective they're an entitled bunch of children.

They aren't complaining.

Ontario teachers are negotiating contracts with the provincial government and the school boards.

This is just a normal professional process that involves educating the public about the issues.

No need to resort to such childish insults.

Edited by jacee

Umm...that's not how collective bargaining works.

Everyone has had a beef with every government since Rae Days......why are teachers supposed to be smiles?

Sure, but then don't preach how hard the job is when collective bargaining protects the ***** teachers and doesn't move up the ambitious of ones.

It's all about seniority.

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity

That happens in many professions serving the public - doctors, nurses, etc.

Spoken like a true neo-liberal: Workers are disposable, interchangeable, just raw materials to be bought on the cheap, used up and spit out. 'Why not just get TFW's! They work cheap and don't complain!'

I haven't seen anyone complaining. They do have to educate the public about what their job involves, though, because people are often ignorant about the work they do outside the classroom.

They aren't complaining.

Ontario teachers are negotiating contracts with the provincial government and the school boards.

This is just a normal professional process that involves educating the public about the issues.

No need to resort to such childish insults.

People in this thread are saying how hard the job is.

There is an element to supply and demand to all employment. I guess except in the public sector.

And I love how calling people children is childish.

Edited by Boges

Sure, but then don't preach how hard the job is when collective bargaining protects the ***** teachers and doesn't move up the ambitious of ones.

It's all about seniority.

No it isn't. Teachers apply and compete for positions of responsibility.

If you don't know what you're talking about, you might want to not talk about it.

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity