The Star starts its Full Court Press against Harper

Harper has the record fr prorogation and for contempt, and for closure. So according to him we all, and you, should just shut up.

Wow.Thanks for contributing to the conversation. Of course, it's right there that Harper does not have the record for prorogation. But, being rude and ridiculous will not make the facts go away, so why don't you quit being so obstinate and learn some facts?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.Thanks for contributing to the conversation. Of course, it's right there that Harper does not have the record for prorogation. But, being rude and ridiculous will not make the facts go away, so why don't you quit being so obstinate and learn some facts?

Apparently you didn't quite get the nuance of my post. The FACTS I just quoted indicate that Harper uses whatever he can, legally or not, to silence the people who might disagree with him. Learn to comprehend and then go learn some facts.

Apparently you didn't quite get the nuance of my post. The FACTS I just quoted indicate that Harper uses whatever he can, legally or not, to silence the people who might disagree with him. Learn to comprehend and then go learn some facts.

On Guard - this is not the first time that you blame your completely wrong statements on "nuances". The "FACTS" you stated were wrong - period.....and insulting a poster who corrects you is childish.

On Guard - this is not the first time that you blame your completely wrong statements on "nuances". The "FACTS" you stated were wrong - period.....and insulting a poster who corrects you is childish.

The facts I quoted are correct. The fact you took my posting those facts, which hold your hero to those facts as an insult, is what's childish.

"Harper has the record fr prorogation and for contempt, and for closure. So according to him we all, and you, should just shut up."

You did not quote any "facts". I absolutely got the nuance of your post. You do know what facts are? No.

I know you love to go on about how the Harper government was found in contempt. I love to go on about the fact that they were voted in by a majority after that.

"Harper has the record fr prorogation and for contempt, and for closure. So according to him we all, and you, should just shut up."

You did not quote any "facts". I absolutely got the nuance of your post. You do know what facts are? No.

I know you love to go on about how the Harper government was found in contempt. I love to go on about the fact that they were voted in by a majority after that.

Go check the facts. You'll find they are correct.

Media outlets are entitled to their editorial slant - whether that be Left/Right, Conservative/LIberal/NDP. It's only natural that they would lean one way or the other. All we can ask for as readers and Canadians is that the mainstream media have at least SOME counterpoints to their leanings. It still may not be "balanced" but at least it's not completely dismissive of "the other side". The Globe and National Post provide a good deal of counterpoint. The Sun not so much - but they do have Warren Kinsella as a regular columnist and they take shots at the Conservatives when they drop the ball - but there is no doubt that they are staunchly Conservative. The Star simply does not have any balance or counterpoint at all and editorialize/opinionate many of their "news" stories. News should be news. Opinions are for the Editorial Pages. That overt bias is what separates The Star from other MSM outlets.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Clearly it's been quite some time since you've actually read it. They used to be somewhat conservative two owners ago. That has not been the case for several years, especially since Paul Godfrey took over.

It's still extremely right-of-centre. I'm not sure how you could deny that with a straight face. it's not as rabid as it used to be, and doesn't come anywhere near the raving bias of the Star, but it's far from a newspaper of record.

Edited by Moonbox

Apparently you didn't quite get the nuance of my post. The FACTS I just quoted indicate that Harper uses whatever he can, legally or not, to silence the people who might disagree with him.

You mean like Jean Chretien did?

The stealing of money and by the billions by the fed- prov liberals have hurt this country more then anything harper did. And actually Kinsella has seen the writing on the wall about trudeau and you see it in his writings lately, he knows the liberal are going down. And you notice the word closet.

Edited by PIK

That's a fair point. The Sun wears their bias on their sleeves almost as blatantly as the Star does.

With Rob Ford, the corporate right in Canada showed that they like their politicians Big, Dumb and Belligerent, just like their U.S. examples:

christie.jpg

I notice a trend towards selecting dumb cheerleaders ever since Dubya was put up as a presidential candidate. But, then again, senile old Reagan would also qualify. There seems to be a trend towards having real power in the hands of people behind the scenes and telling the politician what to say and what to do. The last thing they want is a politician who thinks for himself, because he or she might stray off the reservation and stop following orders!

Edited by WIP

The idea is that the opinion column should provide a balanced, or at least rational array of opinions, rather than consistent, frothing bias.

Why? It's the columnist's opinion. They don't need to provide a "balanced" view. You can argue that a newspaper should, but if they make no qualms about being conservative or liberal, then who cares? You know what you're getting.

The idea is that the opinion column should provide a balanced, or at least rational array of opinions, rather than consistent, frothing bias.

An 'opinion column' is just that, an 'opinion'. They aren't normally balanced or present an array of opinions. If they were unbiased, they wouldn't be opinions of the writer.

Postmedia publishes many papers across Canada(inclucing the Post) . Our local versions most common columnist is Michael Den Tandt. He has been a relentless cheerleader for Trudeau for years, it is far and away his most popular column topic: Harper bad, Trudeau good.

Is that right wing?

Postmedia publishes many papers across Canada(inclucing the Post) . Our local versions most common columnist is Michael Den Tandt. He has been a relentless cheerleader for Trudeau for years, it is far and away his most popular column topic: Harper bad, Trudeau good.

Is that right wing?

And that's the point of this thread - the MSM, even the Sun has counterpoints.......but not The Star.....and to repeat - they are the only MSM that editorializes their news stories - embeds their opinions within "news" stories - structure their "news" articles with negative "critics" comments throughout.

The question is.....is there truth in what a paper says and in this case the Star. I've heard several people agree with what has happened to our democracy since the Canadian Reform Alliance Party has taken hold especially since 2011. The well-respected former Speaker has agreed that Canadian democracy is very serious trouble. C-PAC televises many meeting on this topic and its very interesting and educational what our government is doing and NOT doing.

All media outlets have a bias. I believe that it is part of their mandate in modern times.

It has now become an interesting test of a persons approach to politics. If you read the newspaper and follow the media which supports your personal bias then you are a cheerleader. If, on the other hand, you consider yourself to be a political pundit then you read and follow newspapers and media which support political parties and policies with which you disagree.

Some people require validation of their views. Other people seek challenges to their opinions.

You learn nothing from media or people who already agree with you.