First Nations Issues

What led to the predicament of the bands and reservations? Regarding all first nations and the federal government? Seems like a taboo topic to discuss outside the political organizations involved.

Being a first nations man with no career, no job, no money barely scraping by always trying to find work. I'm really willing to flip burgers at this point.

In my reserve there is absolutely no hope unless one of your family members get in. Assuming their best interests have you involved.

Meanwhile, the chief, council, administrators and band staff spend at least 60,000$ a month travelling to a city once a month, pay for their rooms and write themselves a big fat cheque for "travel".

I care to the extent that my band receives a lot of money to make sure I am educated and employed. Yet I am not.

I am not interested in right or wrong a I am interested in your honest opinion.

This IS a reality for the majority of first nations people.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I care to the extent that my band receives a lot of money to make sure I am educated and employed. Yet I am not.

I sympathize with your difficulties but politically has become impossible for the federal or provincial governments to change anything connected to natives because no matter how constructive the effort the vested interests within the native community will block it. If reform is to happen it much come within the reserves. There are examples worth looking at: the Osoyoos band or the band near the Pas I believe. Edited by TimG

I sympathize with your difficulties but politically has become impossible for the federal or provincial governments to change anything connected to natives because no matter how constructive the effort the vested interests within the native community will block it. If reform is to happen it much come within the reserves. There are examples worth looking at: the Osoyoos band or the band near the Pas I believe.

That is very true. I've never heard of them. I heard of a few bands here and there who have taken a more responsible approach and I'd happily transfer there if it meant I could go back to school and graduate properly instead of praying for an oil job....

When I wrote this I heard about some chief election a few blocks over at the convention Centre here in Winnipeg. Aboriginal students and elders get in free otherwise it's 300$ per person for the day. That just pissed me off so much.

All these indian leaders flying to cities when back home there are decrepit disgusting houses everywhere and people who aspire for more unable to realize their potential because Johnny sevenbears (just a made up name any relation to anyone living is purely incidental) decides him and his council should all get new trucks. Unable to learn the basic skills on how and why it is important to keep their homes and selves clean. Unable to mature attitude wise. Completely stuck in a state of paralysis.

These people down the street have some nerve. I am very disgusted with my leaders. I am not alone there are a lot like me. I don't blame our leaders only there are many variables to consider. Perhaps time and this pressure is going to pay off. It would be nice to be informed. I can only change myself for the better thou.

I recall hearing of a particular treaty process meeting of the people of the Nuu-Chah-Nulth First Nations whose territory I'm grateful to call home. The issue of cronyism and corruption came up in a discussion and what the people could do about it and a young self-styled Nuu Chah Nulth warrior standing at the back of the long house reminded people that sometimes in the past if certain chiefs stepped too far out of line that the warriors would step in and restore balance.

Brave words that I certainly can't find too much fault with but I think they would be foolish to think Ottawa will offer much support, where after all do you think so much present day corruption gets it's inspiration from?

Brave words that I certainly can't find too much fault with but I think they would be foolish to think Ottawa will offer much support, where after all do you think so much present day corruption gets it's inspiration from?

When the chiefs of tiny reserves earn significantly more than the Prime Minister, something's wrong at the reserve.

Talk to your chiefs and band councils and ask them why they have to steal every dime they get. Ask them to maybe spand money on their own people. But I see the chiefs are picking a new chief, maybe ask them if ''the people'' can have a say on who gets pick. Total dictatorship.

What led to the predicament of the bands and reservations? Regarding all first nations and the federal government? Seems like a taboo topic to discuss outside the political organizations involved.

Being a first nations man with no career, no job, no money barely scraping by always trying to find work. I'm really willing to flip burgers at this point.

In my reserve there is absolutely no hope unless one of your family members get in. Assuming their best interests have you involved.

Meanwhile, the chief, council, administrators and band staff spend at least 60,000$ a month travelling to a city once a month, pay for their rooms and write themselves a big fat cheque for "travel".

I am not interested in right or wrong a I am interested in your honest opinion.

This IS a reality for the majority of first nations people.

Honest opinion. I think that the idea of reserves is ludicrous. The intent of reserves was to allow a peaceful coexistance through the treaties however so much has changed since this time. I have often heard of natives on reserves staying there for the 'benefits' like education or health care however those things are often pushed out the door or outweighed by poverty, drugs, alchohol and abuse. Its a catch 22....the goverment dangles the carrott but to get the carrott you have to stay in some of the worst places in the world. Looking from the outside in....I wouldn't do it. (of course that's easy for me to say...I get it).

I think that the First Nations need to move on from the 'treaties' and 'reserves' and use whatever leverage they do have with the government to pave a new future for their people. A future which is part of Canada...not separated. I think as long as its an 'us versus them' thing then no one will win. To do this, I think the goverment should divide the treatied land equally and fair among the people of each reserve. At that point, those people become owners of that land for which they can do what they want with it. The reality is there are massive issues with many/most reserves and the governments ability to deal with it properly is limited to throwing money at the reserve which we know won't help.

Of course the problem with any solution is that the government is not dealing with one group but instead 100s of groups which don't agree with each other. Makes it tough to have a solution that works across the board. Perhaps, the government should create a buyout or phase out option and allow each nation to decide.

Sorry forgot to add the benefit of not paying taxes while living on reserves. I've heard that one discussed too.

Doesnt answer the question. But does add another question on top.

So, if one lives on reserve one does not pay taxes?

Please address the earleir question, the one about why stay for the benefits ?

I cant make hide nor hair of this.

Doesnt answer the question. But does add another question on top.So, if one lives on reserve one does not pay taxes?Please address the earleir question, the one about why stay for the benefits ?I cant make hide nor hair of this.

Not having to pay taxes is a benefit of living on the reserve.

Yes...that is my understanding

Please address the earleir question, the one about why stay for the benefits ?

I cant make hide nor hair of this.

I don't understand why they would stay for that either but some do.

When the chiefs of tiny reserves earn significantly more than the Prime Minister, something's wrong at the reserve.

That's right, the people under the chiefs don't have the power to do much if anything about it, they're forced to seek help from Ottawa and for generations Ottawa has always backed the chiefs.

It's a network of dictatorship you see.

I recall hearing of a particular treaty process meeting of the people of the Nuu-Chah-Nulth First Nations whose territory I'm grateful to call home. The issue of cronyism and corruption came up in a discussion and what the people could do about it and a young self-styled Nuu Chah Nulth warrior standing at the back of the long house reminded people that sometimes in the past if certain chiefs stepped too far out of line that the warriors would step in and restore balance.

It would be nice if the men did stand up against corruption. I'm not for reform but I do understand that a lot of that money should be aimed at helping us but a lot of Indians forgot that and just sit at home doing nothing because they don't know any better they are taught by their parents and role models growing up.

Talk to your chiefs and band councils and ask them why they have to steal every dime they get. Ask them to maybe spand money on their own people. But I see the chiefs are picking a new chief, maybe ask them if ''the people'' can have a say on who gets pick. Total dictatorship.

It's a delicate matter. It can be solved but one would have to study the problem and have people to agree on a solution.

Study for what 10 more yrs and many millions of dollars, we know what is wrong. The problem starts with the leadership of the 1st nations. When they canned the education money because they would have to tell the gov how they spent it, tells us everything we need to know. And blaming whitey for all the problems must stop FIRST before we can go anywhere.

I'm pretty sure income tax free money has to be earned on the reserve. It doesn't apply to money earned off reserve. I think there have been the odd attempt to base a company on a reserve even though they conduct off reserve in hopes of using it like a tax-haven but probably only by corrupt chiefs or cronies. I doubt ordinary folks on reserves have any more more opportunity to influence or game they system than ordinary folks off reserves do.

Honest opinion. I think that the idea of reserves is ludicrous. The intent of reserves was to allow a peaceful coexistance through the treaties however so much has changed since this time. I have often heard of natives on reserves staying there for the 'benefits' like education or health care however those things are often pushed out the door or outweighed by poverty, drugs, alchohol and abuse. Its a catch 22....the goverment dangles the carrott but to get the carrott you have to stay in some of the worst places in the world. Looking from the outside in....I wouldn't do it. (of course that's easy for me to say...I get it).

I think that the First Nations need to move on from the 'treaties' and 'reserves' and use whatever leverage they do have with the government to pave a new future for their people. A future which is part of Canada...not separated. I think as long as its an 'us versus them' thing then no one will win. To do this, I think the goverment should divide the treatied land equally and fair among the people of each reserve. At that point, those people become owners of that land for which they can do what they want with it. The reality is there are massive issues with many/most reserves and the governments ability to deal with it properly is limited to throwing money at the reserve which we know won't help.

Of course the problem with any solution is that the government is not dealing with one group but instead 100s of groups which don't agree with each other. Makes it tough to have a solution that works across the board. Perhaps, the government should create a buyout or phase out option and allow each nation to decide.

Unfortunately they are taught by the people who raise them and the governments are taught by the people before them. Im not surprised anymore when I ask most of my friends or family why they dont just leave "This is all I know, Im not smart enough to be out there".

This was poundmakers intent when he negotiated his treaty and he was believed to be a prophet as well. "The 7th generation will be free" we can mull over the meanings of this prophecy by I believe that the treaties will dissolve and the ride will be over.

I think both side's have given eachother enough reason to not allow a buyout or phase option but both must feel the burn if such a phase option was ever initiated. There are many things I would like to have in exchange for my treaty rights.