2022 Winter Olympics: Is this the end of the IOC?

Boges

Is the IOC finally reaping what they've sown by being such a corrupt group?

Norway has dropped out of consideration for the 2022 Winter Olympics meaning the only two countries left are China and . . . wait for it. . . . Kazakhstan.

Borat has to be the mascot of those Olympics doesn't he?

STAVANGER, Norway — Norway’s ruling conservative party didn’t reject a government financial guarantee for the Oslo 2022 Winter Olympics bid lightly.

But fears about spiraling costs and dissatisfaction at the perceived high handedness of the International Olympic Committee sparked anger in this fiercely egalitarian nation, making it impossible for lawmakers to back the bid.

That vote on Wednesday killed Norway’s bid and narrowed the list of potential 2022 Winter Olympic hosts to Beijing and Almaty in Kazakhstan.

On the morning of the vote, the country’s largest national daily newspaper, VG, printed demands the IOC would make to Oslo as host, including IOC members enjoying a cocktail reception with the King and having special lanes for Olympic traffic.

It was once assumed that countries would be falling over themselves to host these international events but it seems that the IOC believes its own hype and it expecting way to much.
Any respectable democracy can't really justify the costs that hosting an Olympics would entail. Could the 2010 Vancouver and 2012 London Olympics be the last great Olympics in Western Democracies?
The IOC will have to change its ways if they expect to go back to the developed world any time soon.
I guess the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo will be a great event. But what about the 2016 Rio Olympics and the 2018 Winter Olympics in somewherenooneseverheardof South Korea?

Did you see the list of IOC demands that helped scupper the Norway bid?

• A cocktail reception with Norway's king, with the tab on either the royal family or the Norwegian Olympic Committee.
  • Cars and drivers for IOC members, with special dedicated highway lanes
  • Street lights synchronized to prioritize IOC traffic
  • Separate airport entrance for IOC members
  • Hotel mini-bars must have only Coca-Cola products
  • Samsung phones for all IOC members
  • All meeting rooms must be kept at exactly 68 degrees.
  • All furniture must have "Olympic appearance."
  • "IOC members will be received with a smile on arrival at hotel"

Amazing stuff.

Is the IOC finally reaping what they've sown by being such a corrupt group?

Norway has dropped out of consideration for the 2022 Winter Olympics meaning the only two countries left are China and . . . wait for it. . . . Kazakhstan.

Borat has to be the mascot of those Olympics doesn't he?

It was once assumed that countries would be falling over themselves to host these international events but it seems that the IOC believes its own hype and it expecting way to much.
Any respectable democracy can't really justify the costs that hosting an Olympics would entail. Could the 2010 Vancouver and 2012 London Olympics be the last great Olympics in Western Democracies?
The IOC will have to change its ways if they expect to go back to the developed world any time soon.
I guess the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo will be a great event. But what about the 2016 Rio Olympics and the 2018 Winter Olympics in somewherenooneseverheardof South Korea?

South Korea is a wealthy efficient country with a lot of national pride. They will do a bang up job. Brazil did a good job with the World Cup in spite of itself and will probably do the same with the Olympics, even if it bankrupts them like Greece. I agree that countries with governments which need to by fiscally responsible to stay in power, will be much less inclined to support the Olympics unless there are some big changes.

• Like 1

The IOC is the last remnant of the system where monarchies were the norm and stature was based on birth.

This group of self appointed elites continue to rule because they can. I hope Canada will never again have anything to do with this politically corrupt blue bloods and allow this thing to die somewhere in South America.

It would be nice if some multi-billionaire decided to create an alternative competition running at the same time but one that places the focus on honest competition and international participation.

Did you see the list of IOC demands that helped scupper the Norway bid?

• A cocktail reception with Norway's king, with the tab on either the royal family or the Norwegian Olympic Committee.
  • Cars and drivers for IOC members, with special dedicated highway lanes
  • Street lights synchronized to prioritize IOC traffic
  • Separate airport entrance for IOC members
  • Hotel mini-bars must have only Coca-Cola products
  • Samsung phones for all IOC members
  • All meeting rooms must be kept at exactly 68 degrees.
  • All furniture must have "Olympic appearance."
  • "IOC members will be received with a smile on arrival at hotel"

Amazing stuff.

Let's see how well Kazakhstan can accommodate those demands. China's had the Olympics too recently.

OK, Kazakhstan it is.

Kudos to the Norwegians for publishing the list of goofy crap expected of the host.

It would not deter China or Kazakhstan, neither place would be much bothered by a little official graft.

It might default to China since Kazakh has been run for 23 years by its first and only president, who is getting old. When he dies, so might the olympics bid.

If you wanted to fix or drive the last nail into the coffin of the Olympics I think the thing to do would be to create a proposal that completely ignored the absurd demands and expectations of the IOC, market the hell out of it, and then tell the IOC as publicly and forcibly as possible that they can take or leave it.

If you wanted to fix or drive the last nail into the coffin of the Olympics I think the thing to do would be to create a proposal that completely ignored the absurd demands and expectations of the IOC, market the hell out of it, and then tell the IOC as publicly and forcibly as possible that they can take or leave it.

What Norway has done by making the list public effectively does that. Can the IOC do this to a country that may want to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics? Let's say a city named . . . Toronto? :unsure:

Lets say China gets the 2022 Winter Olympics. So in 14 years (2008-2022) you'll have 4 games held in Asia. (China twice, Japan and South Korea) As opposed to twice in Europe. (Sochi and London) Once in South America. (Brazil) And a grand total of ONE games in North America (Vancouver).

They'll have to bring the Olympics back to North America for the 2024 Summer games or risk it'll be irrelevant by that time.

Edited by Boges

The IOC is the last remnant of the system where monarchies were the norm and stature was based on birth.

This group of self appointed elites continue to rule because they can. I hope Canada will never again have anything to do with this politically corrupt blue bloods and allow this thing to die somewhere in South America.

It would be nice if some multi-billionaire decided to create an alternative competition running at the same time but one that places the focus on honest competition and international participation.

Ah don't worry, China is going to keep her going! They're right into that national pride thing and I believe that they are probably going to make a huge run at it judging from the TV coverage the winter Olympics games got when I was there last February.(Aolinpike Yundonghui de dongtian)

WWWTT

Let the corrupt Commies and the corrupt IOC get in bed together. Who cares....?

Going back to China over and over will make it a great event! I really liked how hick the smog was at the last Chinese games.

Toronto is world class and deserves the Olympics. I can hardly wait for the Ford family to officially welcome the world.

Is it amusing or tragic that - in the design and construction of Sky Dome/Rogers Barn they neglected to make just a teeny provision to the main playing space to allow it to be an Olympic venue?

Toronto is world class and deserves the Olympics. I can hardly wait for the Ford family to officially welcome the world.

Is it amusing or tragic that - in the design and construction of Sky Dome/Rogers Barn they neglected to make just a teeny provision to the main playing space to allow it to be an Olympic venue?

Assuming the Fords are still in power in 10 years. They likely won't have influence in November of this year.

The Province and the City are in the process of spending $3 Billion to host the 2015 Pan Am Games. The GTA will have venues for almost all Olympics events. All they'll need is a proper Olympic Stadium.

I've heard theories that they could share an Olympics with Buffalo and use their large stadium. With the size of Summer Olympics isn't becoming unrealistic to expect one city to host the entire thing.

I've heard theories that they could share an Olympics with Buffalo and use their large stadium.

opening and closing ceremonies are central to hosting the Olympics and if they are held in Buffalo they won;t be sharing them, Toronto will be a satellite muppet to the Buffalo Games.

How would Buffalo- a smallish place- manage the money for the Olys?

Olympic stadiums must have a 400 meter track. They're a few meters short in SkyDome, and it can't be fixed. oops.

world class.

Looks like you're right. The Rogers Centre won't be used for Track and Field during the Pam Am games. They're building a Track and Field only venue at York U.

http://www.toronto2015.org/venue/athletics-stadium

Perhaps that can be used for the Olympics. :unsure:

Edited by Boges

I already knew I was right, this has been noted several times before when Toronto has Olympic bid aspirations.

Oh, and the track may comply, but I wonder if the IOC will be interested in having flagship Track and Field events at a place with such a small spectator capacity?

Edited by overthere