2022 Winter Olympics: Is this the end of the IOC?

Boges

Looks like you're right. The Rogers Centre won't be used for Track and Field during the Pam Am games. They're building a Track and Field only venue at York U.

http://www.toronto2015.org/venue/athletics-stadium

Perhaps that can be used for the Olympics. :unsure:

Use existing facilities for the Olympics? hah!

I already knew I was right, this has been noted several times before when Toronto has Olympic bid aspirations.

Oh, and the track may comply, but I wonder if the IOC will be interested in having flagship Track and Field events at a place with such a small spectator capacity?

I'll answer myself: no the IOC won't like some piddly halfassed venue in the burbs for flagship events like track and field. Summer Olympics have new, flashy stadiums with plenty of luxe boxes and seats for Executive members. Or they are awarded to places who understand how it all works....

I'll answer myself: no the IOC won't like some piddly halfassed venue in the burbs for flagship events like track and field. Summer Olympics have new, flashy stadiums with plenty of luxe boxes and seats for Executive members. Or they are awarded to places who understand how it all works....

Dunno, they let Vancouver host the Olympics using BC place. Remember Gretz on the back of an F-150 going to the site to light a flame.

The point of this thread is that the IOC needs to scale back their demands a bit.

The GTA needs a new stadium somewhere if they'll ever have a shot at an NFL team.

• 2 years later...

Strange that they named the 2028 hosts so early on. Summer olympic hosts are usually named 7 years in advance so it was the time to name the 2024 hosts but I thought the long bidding-process with all its bribes was part and parcel of the fun of the process of naming candidate-cities.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, -TSS- said:

There could be a lot of USA athletes staying away from next years winter-olympics in South-Korea because of the fear of the crisis regarding North-Korea.

FTFY-Athletes generally aren't much given to cowardice but I can see the brainwashed/[url=http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/25/americas/ryan-lochte-brazil/index.html]braindead[/url] US team acting like  frightened rabbits

Edited by bill_barilko

• 2 weeks later...
On 21 October, 2017 at 8:34 PM, hot enough said:

What a doofus Oliver is. Whining about human rights records. Neither China or Kazakhstan planned the Iraqi genocide of the 1990s, nor did they illegal invade a bunch of sovereign nations.

The USA/UK/... did!

So China doesn't have human rights abuses? 

Kind of an old point as both China and the US have Olympic games coming up. 

4 hours ago, Boges said:

So China doesn't have human rights abuses? 

Kind of an old point as both China and the US have Olympic games coming up. 

Nowhere close to the USA. The US just has a much grander, world class propaganda system.

Can I ask, is your name pronounced bogey like in golf or does it have another pronunciation with a soft 'g'?

Even if I agree that US is the worst international offender regarding human rights. Which I don't but that's not what I'm debating with you. 

You can't argue that the civil rights of people that live in the US, Canada, UK, Western Europe is far better than that of people in the parts of Asia in question. 

Which is why you get $50 billion spent on a Winter Olympics in a resort town and no one can do anything about it. 

Calgary can't even get a new NHL arena built without a huge political tug of war. 

And it's a hard G. 

• 1 month later...
On 5.12.2017 at 11:00 PM, Boges said:

Russia is out of the 2018 Winter Olympics. WOW. They hosted the last Winter Olympics. 

Perhaps the right decision. I have no pity for the cheating Russians. However, the IOC would never in a million years dare to make the same decision with the USA.

On 2017-12-07 at 9:23 AM, -TSS- said:

Perhaps the right decision. I have no pity for the cheating Russians. However, the IOC would never in a million years dare to make the same decision with the USA.

The USA isn’t the one with state sponsored systematic doping. 

Yes, you're right. They have been careful enough not to have been caught. Surely nobody thinks that anyone is "clean"?

Otherwise I wouldn't care about the Russians being banned but it further reduces the hockey-tournament into insignificance. First no NHL-players and now no Russians.