War Against ISIL

Big Guy

“In the Second Gulf War, before U.S. troops had entered Baghdad and according to information, the CIA agents infiltrated through the initiative of volunteers. They came into contact with members of the first and second ladder of command of the Republican Guard to ensure an influx of American troops in Baghdad without problems. In that pact, allegedly signed by Donald Rumsfeld, included transportation insurance for themselves and their families outside Iraq, large sums of money, the promise of official positions in Iraq post-invasion for those who had not committed war crimes, including U.S. residency and citizenship for some key leaders. Of course, the soldiers were unaware that their superiors had agreed the surrender of Baghdad and even less the Fedayeen, which were abandoned to their fate once the armed conflict officially ended.”

Iraq fell to the Americans, the Americans banged their swords on their shields but nobody wondered where these 80,000 seasoned, elite fighters disappeared to. I guess that the powers to be thought that they learned to grow grass or milk goats. The new USA installed Shite Iraq government refused to honour the pact made with the Republican Guard officers and eventually purged the Iraq army of all Sunni officers and soldiers.

The greatest strength of those who live in that part of the world is patience. They waited for the inevitable when the latest “invader” from the most recent Crusade lost interest and support from home. As the “infidels” lost interest and started to go home the nationalists, those who were born, lived and protected their country decided it was time to take their country back. The Sunni population in Iraq was already alienated from Baghdad, the Sunnis in Syria were already fighting Assad so there was a perfect opportunity for some experienced force which could rally the disenfranchised locals for support.

That pretty much sums it up. ISIL isnt going into cities guns blazing. They are going in saying "Hey Abdul!!! How the hell ya been bro!".

These airstrikes will easily beat up on the tiny and unimportant conventional military aspect of ISIS. They will blow up their few dozen tanks and trucks, and we see videos of fancy western fighter jets blowing stuff up. But then what? If anyone tries to actually enter these cities and town to dislodge ISIL they will face an expensive and protracted urban insurgency... Eventually they will grow weary and leave and we will be back to where we are now. OR... they will be smart enough NOT to send troops in to dislodge ISIL in which case the result will be the same.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they'll get it, I mean the result was pointed out to them way back during the build up to Operation: "Now watch this drive" but who knows how many smacks upside the head it'll take to sink in?

I have little doubt there were people who could have predicted a century or more ago how unmitigated geopolitical vandalism and diddling by super-powers in the region; redrawing lines on maps, dispossessing people, variously propping up brutal dictatorships and especially overthrowing budding nascent democracies in the process would result in nothing but ruination, dysfunction and the deaths of hundreds and hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

Even if we threw in the towel and completely left the region it will probably take at least another century or more to sort it self out.

Hey look, there goes a pandemic and here comes 400 parts per million...good timing eh? What's next I wonder?

Dre you think they have 1 tank, think again. They have a large aresenal that actually does include some mig's. They just don't know how to fly them. Thank God. But the airstrikes are taking care of that and will over time. Then all they will be is a bunch of crazy punks with goofy black and white flags. The locals will clean that up.

I believe that ISIS or ISIL is not an unknown phenomena but the remnants of the old Iraq Republican Guard.

They are a mix of many groups. Some are lifelong military men from the Hussain era who are more than embracing the tactics ISIL uses. Thousands are from neighbouring countries. A few hundred are from Canada. Another few hundred are from the U.S. and there are thousands who are from Europe, who have left their lives, because they believe something better exists. They are men and women who once lived a Western lifestyle and are now passionately joining ISIL.

Check this out:

I have little doubt there were people who could have predicted a century or more ago how unmitigated geopolitical vandalism and diddling by super-powers in the region; redrawing lines on maps, dispossessing people, variously propping up brutal dictatorships and especially overthrowing budding nascent democracies in the process would result in nothing but ruination, dysfunction and the deaths of hundreds and hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

Just shy of a century, but close enough:

TE-Lawrence-460_1644593c.jpg

Dre you think they have 1 tank, think again. They have a large aresenal that actually does include some mig's. They just don't know how to fly them. Thank God. But the airstrikes are taking care of that and will over time. Then all they will be is a bunch of crazy punks with goofy black and white flags. The locals will clean that up.

So prior to obtaining their heavy weapons etc, they were what exactly? The point dre is making, I feel anyways, is how did these "crazy punks with goofy black and white flags", not only obtain modern weaponry, but a chunk of both Syria and Iraq with such ease.........

The modern weaponry was left behind by the US because of the costs of repatriating it. That's a big part of the "how" you take territory. Of course the "why" is a bit more complicated. But a lot to do with another invader (US) mistake. A mess no doubt but perhaps Obama et al can at least attempt to put it right.

The modern weaponry was left behind by the US because of the costs of repatriating it. That's a big part of the "how" you take territory.

No, the modern weaponry was donated and sold to the Iraqi army........the Americans have no qualms, when left with nobody to donate to, to shred/scrap gear in country, as evident today in Afghanistan…….Your goofs with black and white flags captured their heavier arms from both the Syrian and Iraqi armies.

So, how did they capture modern weapons, to say nothing of large portions of both Syria and Iraq, with black and white flags? And once their heavy weapons have been destroyed, what will prevent them from repeating their recent history again with only black and white flags....

Of course the "why" is a bit more complicated. But a lot to do with another invader (US) mistake. A mess no doubt but perhaps Obama et al can at least attempt to put it right.

The various sects of Islam have been fighting each other long before there was a United States.

We all know the words Al Saud and Wahabi and pretend to be experts. The aerial photo's show they have a lot of left behind US "stuff". On one hand I couldn't care less if the ISIS cuts the heads off everyone in their path, on the other I really hate religious fanatics being allowed to roam freely doing so.

We all know the words Al Saud and Wahabi and pretend to be experts. The aerial photo's show they have a lot of left behind US "stuff". On one hand I couldn't care less if the ISIS cuts the heads off everyone in their path, on the other I really hate religious fanatics being allowed to roam freely doing so.

Stuff given to the Iraqi army...........of which 1000s surrendered to ~800 "goofs with black and white flags"...........So why did the Iraqi army fold like a card table, and what will have changed after the West has left............

So, you don't really care if ISIS cuts the heads off women and children, as long as they're not motivated by religion?

There are between 20 and 30k "goofs", not 800. As I've already explained when the US left they left the people who controlled the former infrastructure "high and dry" same as they did in Afg. (Mujahadeen) That's why they "folded" And yep, it may have gone over your head, but I do NOT support beheadings. (perhaps that was a bad choice of metaphors)

There are between 20 and 30k "goofs", not 800.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/11/mosul-isis-gunmen-middle-east-states

Iraqi officials told the Guardian that two divisions of Iraqi soldiers – roughly 30,000 men – simply turned and ran in the face of the assault by an insurgent force of just 800 fighters. Isis extremists roamed freely on Wednesday through the streets of Mosul, openly surprised at the ease with which they took Iraq's second largest city after three days of sporadic fighting.
As I've already explained when the US left they left the people who controlled the former infrastructure "high and dry" same as they did in Afg. (Mujahadeen) That's why they "folded"

The Shia majority didn't control the former infrastructure (under Saddam as you suggested), but they certainly own it now........

And yep, it may have gone over your head, but I do NOT support beheadings. (perhaps that was a bad choice of metaphors)

I never said that you do:

you don't really care if ISIS cuts the heads off women and children

based on your previous post:

On one hand I couldn't care less if the ISIS cuts the heads off everyone in their path, on the other I really hate religious fanatics being allowed to roam freely doing so.

So again, you don't really care if ISIS cuts the heads off women and children........based on your above quote.

Wait a minute, do you think there are only 800 ISIS forces or did I miss something?

I think you missed many a things.........as cited by the Iraqi Government, during the battle for Mosul, ~800 "goofs with black and white flags" defeated an Iraqi army force of 30k........and in turn, "liberated" not only the second largest city in Iraq, but captured from the Iraqi army much of the modern American hardware they have today, to say nothing of millions of dollars in gold and the capture of Northern Iraqi oil fields.

McCain does not seem to have a problem with ISIS. Seems like a conflict within the US government in approach to ISIS.

We also see now the USA is going full tilt to arm the rebels in Syria (as it has already been going on for three years) in order to fight ISIS. So the USA and others are now helping to destabalize the entire region by arming these terrorists.

http://tarpley.net/mccains-fraternization-with-isis-terrorists-breaks-into-mainstream-media-arrestmccain4isis-going-viral-on-internet/

http://tarpley.net/images/john_mccain_with_isis_chief_abu_bakr_al-baghdadi_2.jpg

I think you missed many a things.........as cited by the Iraqi Government, during the battle for Mosul, ~800 "goofs with black and white flags" defeated an Iraqi army force of 30k........and in turn, "liberated" not only the second largest city in Iraq, but captured from the Iraqi army much of the modern American hardware they have today, to say nothing of millions of dollars in gold and the capture of Northern Iraqi oil fields.

The flag is AL-Queda, not ISIS.