War Against ISIL

Big Guy

The rojava kurds (syria) seem to be in pretty dire straights.

... but the rojava kurds are deserving of no help whatsoever.

I agree. It appears the kurds are about the only possible ground forces which can be trusted. Perhaps the West is shying away from them in an attempt to get Turkey on board. Or maybe the kurds are being supplied and supported through the back door.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the air war against ISIS is in full gear. I was watching a video of a half $million missile taking out a Toyota. Sure is fortunate that the USA has a good stockpile of armaments ready for the next war.

I was watching the pundits covering this conflict. Every “expert” from political to military agreed that ground troops are/will be required since it is expected that ISIS will just concentrate into urban populated areas. With Israel shooting down a Syrian jet perhaps it will get involved in the next phase since they have experience in the “surgical” bombings of high population areas. After all, Israeli jets were able to take out specific targets without harming innocent civilians in Gaza. :rolleyes:

After the surgical bombing phase, land forces will have to be deployed. None of the “experts” that I heard had an answer of where these boots on the ground would come from.

The Iraq government has only Shia militias protecting it. ISIS is being protected by those Sunnis which the Iraq government has managed to alienate. Those “moderate” rebels fighting Assad do not seem to exist. Assad had released a communication welcoming USA going after ISIS in Syria and it was followed by a rather comical - no, no, no, we are not really helping Assad – response from the Americans. Turkey shows no interest in joining the coalition. Iran is sitting back and letting the USA throw blood and money into this civil war.

The greatest irony I can see is that American military is fighting side by side with those wonderful democratic examples of tolerance, woman's rights and human rights like UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, and Bahrain.

War makes really strange bedfellows.

Perhaps this is a perfect opportunity for Harper to volunteer Canadian ground troops to march into this fiasco to show our dedication to truth, justice and the American way.

Perhaps not.

Let's not forget the USA rather would support terrorists against Assad in Syria while claiming that they are fighting the same group in Iraq. Since the USA could not go balls deep into Syria, why not create some mayhem and instability in order to really go into Syria. Assad and the Syrian forces hav been fighting this war for 3+ years now with little headway made by western powers. Even with the direct support via turkey and US training of said fighters in Jordan.

ISIS is the excuse to foray more into Syria and other nations that western powers want to destabilize in order to bring them into the global economic and political fold. Barnett called it the 'non-integrated gap'.

It is also an act of war against Syria in which the USA is taking the lead.

Edited by GostHacked

So the air war against ISIS is in full gear. I was watching a video of a half $million missile taking out a Toyota. Sure is fortunate that the USA has a good stockpile of armaments ready for the next war.

Thank you for this keen observation, as it is a fortunate circumstance indeed. When Canadian Forces ran out of bombs during the Kosovo War, they just drove across the air base at Aviano and went shopping at the USA's depot with a credit card. In 2011, after bombing the fine folks in Libya, Canada once again found itself very short on bombs to feed its CF-188s, but the Americans were more than happy to fill the void again. Is it any wonder that cross border shopping in the U.S. is considered to be a Canadian right ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Thank you for this keen observation, as it is a fortunate circumstance indeed. When Canadian Forces ran out of bombs during the Kosovo War, they just drove across the air base at Aviano and went shopping at the USA's depot with a credit card. In 2011, after bombing the fine folks in Libya, Canada once again found itself very short on bombs to feed its CF-188s, but the Americans were more than happy to fill the void again. Is it any wonder that cross border shopping in the U.S. is considered to be a Canadian right ?

Thank you for once again trying to derail a serious thread and again poison American Canadian relations. It will not work.

لماذا محاولة لعرقلة هذه المواضيع

Edited by Big Guy

Thank you for once again trying to derail a serious thread and again poison American Canadian relations. It will not work.

لماذا محاولة لعرقلة هذه المواضيع

As we move forward...together...to rid the world of the scourge that is ISIL, please rest assured that the Americans will always be there for you when the latest fixed and rotary wing platforms with guided munitions are desired by Canadian Forces working their magic from the sky.

As we move forward...together...to rid the world of the scourge that is ISIL, please rest assured that the Americans will always be there for you when the latest fixed and rotary wing platforms with guided munitions are desired by Canadian Forces working their magic from the sky.

Just got a memo from Administration to not feed the troll. Sorry, look for another platform.

Just got a memo from Administration to not feed the troll. Sorry, look for another platform.

Thank you for informing me of this grand development. I look forward to continued discourse concerning this topic and many others. I commend you for significant progress in refraining from personal attacks via direct and indirect name inferences (e.g. "Ali").

The Americans will also be there to create the next boogie man. It's how Al-Queda got it's start. ISIS/ISIL is no different.

Thank you for informing me of this grand development. I look forward to continued discourse concerning this topic and many others. I commend you for significant progress in refraining from personal attacks via direct and indirect name inferences (e.g. "Ali").

Please do not look forward to any more "discourse" from this end. I have learned my lesson and will be giving you the credibility appropriate to the extent of your positive participation on this board. I leave it to Homeland Security as to the amount of dissent that you are allowed to create between Americans and Canadians. You are now their problem and anybody else who cares. I am joining the majority on this board in no longer allowing your silliness to distract from issues which normal people find important.

Shooo, go away, stop irritating people.

I am suspecting that you are having a "man love" with Big Guy since you keep following me around the board. I am not interested in you. You really seem to be into this "together "thing.

أنا لن أتحدث إليكم مرة أخرى علي

Edited by Big Guy

Please do not look forward to any more "discourse" from this end. I have learned my lesson and will be giving you the credibility appropriate to the extent of your positive participation on this board. I leave it to Homeland Security as to the amount of dissent that you are allowed to create between Americans and Canadians. You are now their problem and anybody else who cares. I am joining the majority on this board in no longer allowing your silliness to distract from issues which normal people find important.

Thank you for your continued interest in America and Americans. Like a moth to a flame, I know from experience that you will be drawn back time and time again to the pressing issues of the day, inexorably linked to what goes on "south of the border". The "war against ISIL" just wouldn't have the same kick without US. This is the natural order of things and is to be celebrated. Onward...together !

It would not have the same kick without the US. We might not have as much terrorism in the world if the USA and others did not keep poking the hornet's nest. When another 'attack' happens in the US, don't be surprised if some radicals from the Middle East take part in knocking down a couple more buildings.

Support the oppressive regimes in Saudi Arabia and Qatar, but slam the 'equally' oppressive regimes of Assad, Hussein and Gaddafi. Not very consistent in rhetoric. I'll pt 20 bucks on Obama going golfing right after this is over... or before. Now watch this drive.

Stephen Harper has been asked by Obama for additional support for this current war against ISIL. He is "considering" his response.

"The Wall Street Journal, 28 March 2003

Canadians Stand With You By Stephen Harper and Stockwell Day

Today, the world is at war. A coalition of countries under the leadership of the U.K. and the U.S. is leading a military intervention to disarm Saddam Hussein. Yet Prime Minister Jean Chretien has left Canada outside this multilateral coalition of nations.

This is a serious mistake. For the first time in history, the Canadian government has not stood beside its key British and American allies in their time of need. The Canadian Alliance -- the official opposition in parliament -- supports the American and British position because we share their concerns and their worries about the future if Iraq is left unattended; and we share their fundamental vision of civilization and human values.

Disarming Iraq is necessary for the long-term security of the world, and for the collective interests of our key historic allies. It is, therefore, also manifestly in the national interest of Canada. Make no mistake, as our allies work to end the reign of Saddam and the brutality and aggression that are the foundations of his regime, Canada's largest opposition party -- the Canadian Alliance – will not be neutral. In our hearts and minds, we will be with our allies and friends. And Canadians will be overwhelmingly with us.

But we will not be with the Canadian government.

Modern Canada was forged in large part by war -- not because it was easy, but because it was right. In the great wars of the last century -- against authoritarianism, fascism, and communism -- Canada did not merely stand with the Americans. More often than not we led the way. We did so for freedom, for democracy, for civilization itself. These values continue to be embodied in our allies and their leaders, and scorned by the forces of evil, including Saddam Hussein and the perpetrators of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. That is why we will stand – and I believe most Canadians will stand with us -- for these higher values which shaped our past, and which we will need in an uncertain future.

Messrs. Harper and Day are the leader and shadow foreign minister, respectively, of the Canadian Alliance.

Fortunately, at the time Harper had little power. To-day he leads a majority government.

I hope that he has learned from his mistakes.

Today...he also wants the Americans to permit a cross border pipeline in their country to move nasty dilbit from Alberta to the excess refining capacity of the U.S. Gulf Coast. I think a deal is in the works.

Win-Win!