Canadian workers vs foreign

Topaz

Two Canadian journeymen, working out West, say they are concerned about some foreign workers not being educated enough to do the job and that it could cause someone to get killed. One example was one foreign worker trying to thaw a propane tank with a ....blowtorch!!!! Some are shoveling snow and getting paid $44 hr., because they can't do the job or a language barrier. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/canadians-expose-foreign-worker-mess-in-oilsands-1.2750730

Your link does not work.

Casual labourers do not make $44/hr anywhere in the West.

Native Canadians do dumb things too.

On the other hand my nephew(a recent immigrant himself) hires and fires at a large landscaping company. He was just telling me - with respect and dismay- how useless native Canadians are in general in jobs that require manual labour. . It is quite well paid and has endless overtime from April to late October.. The business owners have done recruiting across Canada and will pay expenses including flights for workers. Results suck. Their best employees are from Mexico. Everybody is paid the same wage for the same work.

Your link does not work.

Native Canadians do dumb things too.

On the other hand my nephew(a recent immigrant himself) hires and fires at a large landscaping company. He was just telling me - with respect and dismay- how useless native Canadians are in general in jobs that require manual labour. . It is quite well paid and has endless overtime from April to late October.. The business owners have done recruiting across Canada and will pay expenses including flights for workers. Results suck. Their best employees are from Mexico. Everybody is paid the same wage for the same work.

I suggest you read the article, everything you just said is stupid and had nothing to do with the OP.

I believe he was implying that foreign-born journeymen are hired, but can't speak the language well enough to function, so they're doing menial jobs instead at their journeymen wages.

Edited by cybercoma

• 2 weeks later...

Two Canadian journeymen, working out West, say they are concerned about some foreign workers not being educated enough to do the job and that it could cause someone to get killed....

I know several gas jockeys who said the same about self-serve gas stations in the 1970s.

How many people across North America lost their jobs because of self-serve gas stations?

Topaz, would you forbid self-serve gas stations or ATMs because computers can undercut domestic labour wages?

I know several gas jockeys who said the same about self-serve gas stations in the 1970s.

How many people across North America lost their jobs because of self-serve gas stations?

Topaz, would you forbid self-serve gas stations or ATMs because computers can undercut domestic labour wages?

I guess they're practically the same thing, if you consider a Filipino to be a labor-saving device. :rolleyes:

-k

I believe he was implying that foreign-born journeymen are hired, but can't speak the language well enough to function, so they're doing menial jobs instead at their journeymen wages.

Not only that, they are saying that the skill level isn't there, these foreign workers are ignorant of some basic things, like don't use a blowtorch to thaw a propane tank. They are also saying that the companies involved know all about it but are covering up such incidents, telling the safety people involved to stop reporting it. That is a major red flag right there.

This seems to be a loop hole by which foreign workers can come to Canada and work for a year before having to take any certification exam. Then if they fail it, they can stay in Canada and continue to work, making the full wage. It sounds like foremen have so little confidence in these people that they use them as snow shovelers. Are Canadian workers in such short supply when our employment rate is above 7%?

Apples to apples, August, highly skilled tradespeople are a far cry from gas jockeys. The danger is real.

This doesn't even come close to addressing topaz's concerns

Edited by WestCoastRunner

On the other hand my nephew(a recent immigrant himself) hires and fires at a large landscaping company. He was just telling me - with respect and dismay- how useless native Canadians are in general in jobs that require manual labour.

Funny, I know a few people in construction. There seem to be virtually no immigrants in the industry. They'd rather sit in a taxi for 12 hours or work 12 hrs in a corner store than be a manual labourer or get involved in the trades. Immigrant carpenters, roofers, plumbers, electricians, masons? Nowhere to be seen aside from a few Europeans.

Edited by Argus

Funny, I now a few people in construction. There seem to be virtually no immigrants in the industry. They'd rather sit in a taxi for 12 hours or work 12 hrs in a corner store than be a manual labourer or get involved in the trades. Immigrant carpenters, roofers, plumbers, electricians, masons? Nowhere to be seen aside from a few Europeans.

Nearly all of them are immigrants here in his business. Ukranians, Russians, Mexicans, Filipinos. The only locals are students and they are often useless. The trades also have plenty of immigrants, though they have to get certified as journeyman which can be timeconsuming.

Nearly all of them are immigrants here in his business. Ukranians, Russians, Mexicans, Filipinos. The only locals are students and they are often useless. The trades also have plenty of immigrants, though they have to get certified as journeyman which can be timeconsuming.

Where are you?

I suppose it depends on where your immigrants come from. Most of ours seem to be from Africa, the middle east and Asia.

The only locals are students and they are often useless.

Why is that? I would have thought of all the education systems in Canada that Alberta's would be producing the hardest-assed, hardest-working most pragmatic students with regards to getting a job. What went wrong?

Edited by eyeball

Why is that? I would have thought of all the education systems in Canada that Alberta's would be producing the hardest-assed, hardest-working most pragmatic students with regards to getting a job. What went wrong?

Alberta has the worst high school graduation record in Canada.

Too many young guys leaving school early to take a job that will fund a F-150, beer and weed lifestyle, in the short term at least.

I don't know why native born Canadians are so lazy. Easy, entitled lives probably.

Alberta has the worst high school graduation record in Canada.

Too many young guys leaving school early to take a job that will fund a F-150, beer and weed lifestyle, in the short term at least.

I don't know why native born Canadians are so lazy.

Native born Albertans maybe, a lot of the kids I know from around here including one of my own, are up in Alberta. I don't know maybe the F-150, beer and weed lifestyle doesn't faze kids from BC like it does Albertans.

Easy, entitled lives probably.

Or easy, advantaged lives. Maybe Alberta's kids got the wrong impression from that Alberta Advantage message.

Native born Albertans maybe, a lot of the kids I know from around here including one of my own, are up in Alberta. I don't know maybe the F-150, beer and weed lifestyle doesn't faze kids from BC like it does Albertans.

Or easy, advantaged lives. Maybe Alberta's kids got the wrong impression from that Alberta Advantage message.

could be. Of course, kids from BC would not affect Alberta high school graduation stats.

If there was any chance of work in BC, your children wouldn't leave in the first place.

In any case, thanks for funding their education. Everybody is welcome, except welfare bums. You can keep those.

Funny, I now a few people in construction. There seem to be virtually no immigrants in the industry. They'd rather sit in a taxi for 12 hours or work 12 hrs in a corner store than be a manual labourer or get involved in the trades. Immigrant carpenters, roofers, plumbers, electricians, masons? Nowhere to be seen aside from a few Europeans.

On the contrary, I know many immigrants in construction trades. But they are generally not in a union.

BTW, Argus, how many immigrants are there in the police in Ottawa? (How can a police service operate well if it has no info from its coverage?)

BTW, Argus, how many immigrants are there in the police in Ottawa? (How can a police service operate well if it has no info from its coverage?)

That's a silly question. If White Canadian police can't properly police immigrant communities how do you think immigrant police could properly police White Canadians? Do we need separate ethnic police forces to police every ethnic group?

Funny, I know a few people in construction. There seem to be virtually no immigrants in the industry. They'd rather sit in a taxi for 12 hours or work 12 hrs in a corner store than be a manual labourer or get involved in the trades. Immigrant carpenters, roofers, plumbers, electricians, masons? Nowhere to be seen aside from a few Europeans.

Thats not even close to true. Where I live ALL of those trades are dominated by immigrants are dominated by east indian immigrants who often charge 1/2 as much.

For a house twice as likely to fall down? No thanks.

The trades have had this issue for a very long time. Numbered companies that bid low and do shoddy work has been the norm in BC for decades. Businesses want to pay cheap wages... people want to pay the least possible to build a house and don't know what they are looking at when the builder builds crap.

See: leaky condos.

Much better to pay more with a reputable builder... but try telling that to the developer looking to make a quick buck.

Without the racism, a computer is the same as a person - it replaces a bookkeeper.

Kimmy, where would you and I be if you had to communicate with me by telegraph - or mail.

You totally missed Kimmy's point.

We are discussing Canadian vs. foreign workers... The topic is Canadians being replaced by foreign workers, not Canadians being replaced by automation. Your comment was completely irrelevant to the topic.