Woman arrested for letting kid play in park

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go America! Now she can collect welfare, and watch her kid full-time. Just think of the benefits if she were given subsidized child care so she could continue working, possibly working up the food chain, contributing more in tax dollars. Not to mention what a great role model she would have been for her daughter as a single hard working mom.

Way to go America! Now she can collect welfare, and watch her kid full-time. Just think of the benefits if she were given subsidized child care so she could continue working, possibly working up the food chain, contributing more in tax dollars. Not to mention what a great role model she would have been for her daughter as a single hard working mom.

While I do not disagree with your sentiment I would rather she be a role model as a married hard working mom.

Wow... Why would you even have a preference about a stranger's marital status?

I believe that the single greatest problem America is struggling with is the single unwed mother family. It is the cause of everything from poverty top crime.

The number of women between the ages of 15 and 50 who gave birth in the past 12 months – 4.1 million

The percentage of births in 2011 that were to unmarried women age 15 to 50 – 35.7%

The metro areas with birth rates to unmarried mothers that were among the highest in the country included Flagstaff, Ariz. (74.6 percent), Greenville, N.C. (69.4 percent), Lima, Ohio (67.5 percent), Myrtle Beach-North Myrtle Beach-Conway, S.C. (67.4 percent) and Danville, Va. (67.3 percent).

That means that in 2011 alone, there were about a quarter million children born into situations where they were not being protected by a parents marriage contract. They began life without a two parent family. I would prefer that every child had the financial backing and parental support that is available through most two parent families.

I believe that the two parent family child has a better chance at happiness and opportunity than single parent families.

I believe that the single greatest problem America is struggling with is the single unwed mother family. It is the cause of everything from poverty top crime.

I believe that the state institution known as marriage should be abolished for a number of reasons.

But I get your point with respect to children having a supportive family environment.

I believe that the two parent family child has a better chance at happiness and opportunity than single parent families.

I don't know, kids who grow up in dysfunctional families where there is adultery or abuse don't fair too well. On the flip-side, children who are co-parented by two respectful people turn out pretty adjusted.

Therefore marriage isn't the common denominator, it's having two respectful and functional parents. Perhaps that may be more likely in married households, but marriage itself is certainly not the cause.

Your line of thinking is a bit binary without really considering the other variables.

Are you serious that there is a question if children should be supervised or not?

Do you really think that children do not have to be supervised for their own safety?

I think it depends. I started letting my kids do more and more things unsupervised once they were about 8. I think its GOOD for them, not bad. Theyve been allowed to ride bikes to the park down the street and play for a while since they were about 8. But it depends on the kids and where the park is. I probably wouldnt have done that if I lived in the inner city, or if the road to the park was really busy.

In general I would say that we have a way bigger problem with over protective parents then we do with parents who give their kids responsibility at a younger age.

Edited by dre

You are not facing reality. The reality is that this woman is a single parent, now unfortunately, unemployed. Had she had subsidized child care, she would still be employed. As much as you don't prefer single parent families, they are not going away anytime soon.

It's more of a cycle, but the primary roots of this are poverty and a criminal justice system that disproportionately targets young males of colour.

And yet, as your data shows, this is simply not an option for many women in the U.S. So why bring it up at all?

So I guess this is starting to be a thing.

Mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to go to park alone

It began last Saturday afternoon when Gainey gave her son Dominic permission to walk from their house to Sportsman’s Park .
“Honestly didn’t think I was doing anything wrong,” says Gainey, “I was letting him go play.
It’s a half mile from their Port St. Lucie home. Dominic says it only takes him about 10 to 15 minutes to get there. During the walk, the 7-year-old passed a public pool. Someone there asked him where his mom was.

This is the kicker for me:

The officer wrote in the report that Dominic was unsupervised at the park and that “numerous sex offenders reside in the vicinity.”
“He just basically kept going over that there’s pedophiles and this and that and basically the park wasn’t safe and he shouldn’t be there alone,” says Gainey.

LOLOLOLOL

I swear they must give Cops stupidity tests before hiring them.

Well, on top of "can you happily kill friendly dog" questions.

Cop recruitor' -Son , where in the class ranking did you finish high school?

Candidate- Um..er...last Sir.

CR- Well heres a uniform, gun and badge.

• 5 months later...
A whopping 68 percent of Americans think there should be a law that prohibits kids 9 and under from playing at the park unsupervised, despite the fact that most of them no doubt grew up doing just that.
What's more: 43 percent feel the same way about 12-year-olds. They would like to criminalize all pre-teenagers playing outside on their own (and, I guess, arrest their no-good parents).

Link

It is the culture of fear, and also, in part the belief that children today must e the fixation of their parents. You must spend all day and evening entertaining, minding, and educating them. You don't tell them to run outside and play or even play by themselves.

There is a woman I know, a single mother, who has raised her daughter to the age of thirteen. This girl has been the main focus of her life for 13 years. She goes nowhere without the girl, and the girl goes nowhere without the mother, except to school. Now that is changing and the mother has no idea what to do with herself. She is not unique. Plus parents tend to only have one child now, or two at most. I think many of them can't imagine the horror if something should happen to that one person who has become their entire life.

As anyone who has grown up around snow knows, part of the fun of sledding is the risk of soaring off a jump or careening around a tree.

But faced with the potential bill from sledding injuries, some cities have opted to close hills rather than risk large liability claims.

No one tracks how many cities have banned or limited sledding, but the list grows every year. One of the latest is in Dubuque, Iowa, where the City Council is moving ahead with a plan to ban sledding in all but two of its 50 parks.

"We have all kinds of parks that have hills on them," said Marie Ware, Dubuque's leisure services manager. "We can't manage the risk at all of those places."

-link

But hey, you can carry a loaded concealed pistol into Wal Mart so freedom.