Time to ban third party advertising in Ontario

You can't advertise cigarettes. You can't advertise theories of racial inequality. You can't even show American ads.

You can't have a radio station that plays all American hits, or all Beatles music.

Here's a good example about what I am writing about.

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVidtWJBTAEgASjsXFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZDBpbXI5BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1401997549/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cbc.ca%2fnews%2fcanada%2fadvertising-laws-too-restrictive-tobacco-companies-1.641381/RK=0/RS=S5E_HfLzCk1acpX7QLZPb.MdXy0-

I do recall hearing stuff about the tobacco companies filling law suites and getting judgements their way, but it looks like the Canadian government just keeps adding more obstacles. I also could be mixing up what has happened in Canada with the US.

Either way, the link I provided clearly shows that if you want to get anything out of the charter, get ready to spend millions in court!

WWWTT

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not disturbed by it at all. I haven't even seen it. I just think that calling all forms of communication 'speech' is ridiculous and not supportable. We don't treat television, radio, and talking the same nor should we.

I have not seen the tv one yet ,but was told it has a police officer with a gun arresting a black guy, is that true and if it is ,heads should roll. And the head of the OPPA has been overheard saying a liberal majority would be perfect and the CFO also ran for the liberals.

Don't look to the Liberals to start regulating third-party spending - their collusion with the unions has kept them in power for 10 years......but of course, "it's all about the children"....and it looks like Ontarians will fall for these crooks again.....

In his annual report earlier this week, Essensa noted that third-party organizations — mainly unions and related groups — spent more than $6 million on advertising in the 2011 provincial election. That’s more than triple the $1.8 million such organizations shelled out for the 2007 vote.

The biggest-spending third party, the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, lavished $2.6 million on its effort to defeat the Progressive Conservatives. To put this in some context, even the New Democratic Party didn’t spend that much. In fact, it exceeded the combined advertising spending of 19 of Ontario’s 21 registered political parties.

In short, third party organizations now rival mainstream registered political parties in advertising clout. Fairness demands that they come under more scrutiny and regulation.

Essensa notes that Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, New Brunswick and the federal government have all adopted controls over third-party advertising.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2013/04/11/ontario_should_limit_third_party_election_spending_editorial.html

Edited by Keepitsimple

I have not seen the tv one yet ,but was told it has a police officer with a gun arresting a black guy, is that true and if it is ,heads should roll. And the head of the OPPA has been overheard saying a liberal majority would be perfect and the CFO also ran for the liberals.

And donated 30g's to the liberal party.

And donated 30g's to the liberal party.

And some of the same people who talk about how terrible it is that American billionaires and corporations can buy off politicians now say it's just fine when government unions do ithe same. :rolleyes:

I heard a new campaign commercial today - from the Ontario Nursing Association. Much like the OPP they bemoan Hudak being a danger to the public who will fire nurses (He's specifically said he would hire more nurses) and then linked him to Mike Harris.

The two things which really irritate me about these types of commercials is, first, they're outright lies, and second they pretend their concern is for the public when 100% of their concern is for themselves and their pay cheques. Same as the OPP. They're not worried Hudak would be a danger to public safety, but that he'd be a danger to their fat and growing wallets.

And I'm hearing and seeing more third party ads than I am from the actual campaigners, all of them from government unions who have been paid off by the Liberals over the past ten years.

IMO These union ads might be hurting them more then helping. People are sick and tired of the constant whining by government unions. And the blatant lies are just to much to take.

I heard a new campaign commercial today - from the Ontario Nursing Association. Much like the OPP they bemoan Hudak being a danger to the public who will fire nurses (He's specifically said he would hire more nurses) and then linked him to Mike Harris.

The two things which really irritate me about these types of commercials is, first, they're outright lies, and second they pretend their concern is for the public when 100% of their concern is for themselves and their pay cheques. Same as the OPP. They're not worried Hudak would be a danger to public safety, but that he'd be a danger to their fat and growing wallets.

And I'm hearing and seeing more third party ads than I am from the actual campaigners, all of them from government unions who have been paid off by the Liberals over the past ten years.

I have to agree with this. At one time I wasn't sure about the 'gag law', but now I'm in favour of limiting third party spending during a campaign in order to level the playing field. I'm inclined to believe there should be some thing to legislate against lying in these ads also. I wonder what Liberal promises were given to the the OPPA for their ads... so far Wynne has refused to answer that question.

I have to agree with this. At one time I wasn't sure about the 'gag law', but now I'm in favour of limiting third party spending during a campaign in order to level the playing field.

I agree with limits on 3rd party spending too.

And I have to say some of the ads are overdone and may backfire: Taking toys from children? ... puhleez!

Sure. That was 2007 from your link and no ads yet.

I think we have a precedent with that to place restrictions on political advertising.

Nothing wrong with some restrictions.

WWWTT

is that 3rd-party advertising having an impact? Latest seat projection from 308 seems to suggest... possibly. Liberals just one seat away from a majority (as slim as that would be).

Ya I saw that poll from a facebook friend.

I find it hard to believe that the liberals can be riding so high and the NDP so low?!?!?

I personally don't believe it, but if it pans out :o

I would think that third party negative adds would be helping the NDP for the simple fact that they seem to be flying under the radar right now.

WWWTT

I agree with limits on 3rd party spending too.

And I have to say some of the ads are overdone and may backfire: Taking toys from children? ... puhleez!

I'm pretty sure third party ads are limited federally they should be provincially too, it allows supporters or fronts for a party to get around the campaign caps.

I'm pretty sure third party ads are limited federally they should be provincially too, it allows supporters or fronts for a party to get around the campaign caps.

I agree with caps on third party ads, though I think $150k ? like federal is a bit low and designed to keep them off tv. Not fair.

I guess nothing happened with this, in particular the anti collusion part, also note the teachers' federation spent more than the NDP, In fact, it exceeded the combined advertising spending of 19 of Ontario’s 21 registered political parties.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2013/04/11/ontario_should_limit_third_party_election_spending_editorial.html

Ontario’s Chief Electoral Officer Greg Essensa has asked the province to set up an independent body to find ways of reigning in third-party advertising. Reforms would ideally include spending limits, contribution caps, tighter reporting requirements and some anti-collusion provisions.

I guess nothing happened with this, in particular the anti collusion part, also note the teachers' federation spent more than the NDP, In fact, it exceeded the combined advertising spending of 19 of Ontario’s 21 registered political parties.

Don't look for this to happen if the Liberals get back in.

Helping out my friend Waldo with the link:

http://www.threehundredeight.com/

The thing is, that site swings back and forth quite a bit.

Ekos made up a new likely voter model a few days ago because the old model had hudak ahead of wynne. Three hundred eight is using their new model which suggests liberals have the lead in likely voters (contrary to all other polling firms).

Third party advertising should be prohibited.

Not sure that it should be prohibited completely - free speech and all that - but the spending should be limited. When we have police and fire associations using millions of dollars to secure the election of politicians who in return will repay them hundred fold - well - we have a problem.

(should be factual too )

Not sure that it should be prohibited completely - free speech and all that - but the spending should be limited. When we have police and fire associations using millions of dollars to secure the election of politicians who in return will repay them hundred fold - well - we have a problem.

(should be factual too )

So if the unions could run the same ads but for cheaper that'd be OK? Or are you saying set the cap so low that web ads will be all they could buy? I agree with limits but I think people here really don't, they mean "gag those unions" but know how that sounds.

Let's not stop there though, let's ban press releases for anything that a Fraser Institute, Cdn Taxpayer Federation, Centre for Policy Alternatives, and Broadbent Institute puts out. Their reports will be there if you want to find them but we stop the sensational headlines gotcha journalist write, these "white paper" synopses have too much influence.