Blue Jay Baseball Players Wearing Camouflage?

I was watching the baseball game on Monday. Noticed that the Blue Jays were wearing camouflage ballcaps and camo-detailed jerseys, just like every other team in baseball on America’s Memorial Day. Good for the Americans but the Jays are a Canadian team. America is a different country.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/make-sports-not-war/article18861318/

Why is a Canadian team joining in an American celebration of their armed forces on Canadian soil?

Is it appropriate to have done so?

Do we expect the American teams to acknowledge Canadian celebrations?

Edited by Big Guy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm....kind of snarky doncha think?

But ok, what if MLB mandates they do so ?

It isnt appropriate to me, whether there or here, but my give shite meter is broken and cant muster much ire.There are plenty of Yanks on the team so if being nice to them and allowing a little Memorial showboating so be it.

On your last point...... :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: that would mean they understand thees more to the world than just the USA. IOW...nope !

Edited by Guyser2

I'm pretty sure that the Canadian anthem is played at U.S. stadia whenever the visting team is from Canada. All-Star game too. The Canadian flag is displayed as well. Perhaps the American television market for the Jays game would have made it impractical for only the visiting Americans to wear camo but not the Americans on the Jays team.

My local market team only donned camo style ball caps and accents, not entire camo uniforms.

Hmmm... 3/9 fielders are American born, with one Canadian and 5 from Dominican Republic.

It's a baseball team, not just the starting nine. Clubhouse chemistry would have taken a beating if somebody made a stink about it. If American memorials are not appropriate, then why be part of an otherwise very American product and experience.

Hmmm... 3/9 fielders are American born, with one Canadian and 5 from Dominican Republic.

Probably more apt to ask these guys what colour uniform to wear during Our Lady of Las Mercedes.

Short of the new Aussie starter, I believe every other pitcher of note is American.

The Jays are the only Non American team in the league. Towing the line isn't a big deal.

Tell MLB to kiss it.

Blue Jays are a Canadian team and shouldn't celebrate American military holidays. How many American teams honoured Victoria Day or will be shooting fireworks on July 1st for Canada Day? My guess is zero.

Canadian teams didn't even celebrate that.

Tell MLB to kiss it.

I doubt they will, they got money from the new uni's and caps going to CDn soldiers. Win Win.

But I get some are prickly about this.

Blue Jays are a Canadian team and shouldn't celebrate American military holidays.

I doubt they had any celebration of Americans yesterday (in TO) but covered it with CDN military.

How many American teams honoured Victoria Day or will be shooting fireworks on July 1st for Canada Day? My guess is zero.

Myopic for sure, but you know we are used to wintessing this .

Not to mention,if in the NHL If Canadian memorials are not appropriate, then why be part of an otherwise very Canadian product and experience.

Edited by Guyser2

Big Guy, the Jays used a mock up of CADPAT which is camouflage for Canucks by Canucks. All proceeds from sales went to the CDN military.

The American based teams used Marpat (not sure but IIRC) and the uni's had the same. The Jays only had it on hats and the numbers on the back of players.

Why is a Canadian team joining in an American celebration of their armed forces on Canadian soil?

We're allies. One for all, all for one.

Now if the Jays wore something to commemorate the 4th of July, I could see people getting peeved.

That wouldn't happen though. The Jays almost always have home games on Canada Day and wear spiffy Red Canada inspired jersey's.

7572368.jpg

Edited by Boges

The Leafs uniform best symbolizes fatigue, IMO.

I would say 'despair' is better.

If the Jays don't mark Memorial Day with camo, they should not recognize Jackie Robinson Day either. Robinson was an African American. Toronto is not in Africa or America.

For those that don't know of this wonderful MLB tradition....

Jackie Robinson was the first African American player to play on a MLB team, in 1947. He was not just an oustanding player, but a man of great character who rose above the racism.

Every year for one game, every player on every team in Major League Baseball wears the same number-42- that Robinson wore in his career. It's a touching tribute and tradition.

Jackie Robinson day is a Baseball thing. It's argued that commemorating Memorial Day is a National/American thing.

As much as it's nice to show support for the "troops" this whole camo uniform thing is a way to sell merchandise.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomwatson/2014/05/26/a-memorial-day-question-has-military-cause-marketing-gone-too-far/

In October you'll see NFL players and coaches wearing Pink merch during games. Sure money is to be made for a great cause, but more money is to be made by selling more gear.

They do it in Europe by changing Soccer "Kits" every single year.

Sports teams should not be making political statements like this period.

As long as you qualify that with ALL and not make it seem like we, as Canadians, are above this. Canadian teams frequently do things to "honour" the troops. Lupe's Troops by the Leafs comes to mind.

I get the sense that more people are rankled by a Canadian team recognizing an American holiday than a Canadian team supporting the troops by wearing Camo.