This week in Islam

kimmy

This isn't an us versus them problem, it's a reason versus religion problem. I am certain that many Islamic theocracies would kill and conquer in the name of their religion if they had the power. The same has been done forever in the name of many religions, including Christianity.North America isn't a theocracy but many parts of the US certainly are getting close. We need to be strengthening walls between the church and state in North America so that we don't add religious fanaticism to the power of the government and military. Historically, religions attack their enemies when they have the power. It's unfortunate that these barriers are currently being eroded and outright attacked by the American right wing. It's even more unfortunate that a major party is encouraging such a dangerous practice for political gain.So, no. We shouldn't slaughter anyone for religious reasons. We should first get our own shop in order, by continually reducing the power of religion over government and then continue to promote reason and the end of theocratic rule worldwide.

So you want the world to be a big melting pot of what you are, wait a minute, this sounds familiar. No religion, no culture, no beliefs, because we are Smarter and better then everyone? You are basically trying to convert others to your beliefs. But if you do it it's fine because you have all the right answers to all the right questions.

Your doing the same thing as everyone else is doing, but you're trying to use soft power, instead of hard power to accomplish it. And your riding you're high horse feeling like you're superior. And God you feel so good about being so good. Because you're better then others.

Reality check. They are thinking the same about themselves.

Edited by Freddy

So you want the world to be a big melting pot of what you are, wait a minute, this sounds familiar. No religion, no culture, no beliefs, because we are Smarter and better then everyone? You are basically trying to convert others to your beliefs. But if you do it it's fine because you have all the right answers to all the right questions.

Your doing the same thing as everyone else is doing, but you're trying to use soft power, instead of hard power to accomplish it. And your riding you're high horse feeling like you're superior. And God you feel so good about being so good. Because you're better then others.

Reality check. They are thinking the same about themselves.

The hot air is strong with this one... I find it odd that you got this diatribe out of my post above. I didn't say anything about imposing beliefs or culture on anyone, I simply mentioned reducing the power of religion over government. Leaders of secular nations already have a hard time sticking to reality and making evidence based policy, we don't need more religious fairy tales involved.

Yes we understood you the first time , You're culture & beliefs is superior. Religious belief are way below you're intelligence.

Religious beliefs are generally not based on intelligence, so...

Why do non believers always act like they are superior to believers? Cannot both exist in peace without the barb slinging?

Why can't you get along with believers of other religions? If you wanna talk barb slinging, let's look at your posts about Muslims.

I find it hard to believe that the Muslims that are here now would side with Canada over the Caliphate when the choice comes. And it will. The war will come here. Maybe by next yearm

They left religious regimes to come here. That point has been made to you and you've ignored it. The religious war you pine for won't be here next year or ever.

They left religious regimes to come here. That point has been made to you and you've ignored it. The religious war you pine for won't be here next year or ever.

I don't doubt that some have and want to live peacefully in Canada. Some are wanting Shariah Law here though too. Will those that want Islamic Law not be shamed into siding with the Shariah Law proponents here in Canada? That's what is scary to me. Once they're here its too late to kick them out. If you look on Google Muslims are building Mosques in so many cities, towns and villages. Why are they building Islamic communities is small towns?

I'm not trying to ignore what others are saying at all. I'm sorry if it appeared that way Michael. Just voicing and exploring what I think is a legitimate concern.

Yes we understood you the first time , You're culture & beliefs is superior. Religious belief are way below you're intelligence.

This is your response to my call for a strong separation between church and state? Really? This from a guy who has no problem pointing out the flaws in Islamic theocracies. I'm not sure if your literacy skills need remediation or if you are actually suggesting that the barrier should be weakened, so which is it?

Why can't you get along with believers of other religions? If you wanna talk barb slinging, let's look at your posts about Muslims.

I'm critical of anyone who wishes to threaten our way of life in our society. Which is an inclusive, tolerant, secular society where we have freedom of religion but also freedom from religion.

Why do non believers always act like they are superior to believers? Cannot both exist in peace without the barb slinging?

If you were good friends with an anti-vaxxer or someone that had faith their child didn't need a blood transfusion called for by doctors, would you be kind enough to challenge their beliefs or would you stay silent, roll your eyes and let them harm themselves and society? Edited by Mighty AC

If you were good friends with an anti-vaxxer or someone that had faith their child didn't need a blood transfusion called for by doctors, would you be kind enough to challenge their beliefs or would you stay silent, roll your eyes and let them harm themselves and society?

Thats a tough one.

In terms of anti vaxxers I believe that all children should be vaccinated. It's irresponsible for patents to not vaccinate.

Same goes for a blood transfusion for a child. The welfare of the child must come first above any religious concerns.

Thats a tough one.

In terms of anti vaxxers I believe that all children should be vaccinated. It's irresponsible for patents to not vaccinate.

Same goes for a blood transfusion for a child. The welfare of the child must come first above any religious concerns.

Exactly. Sometimes when people hold unsubstantiated beliefs, the kind and prudent thing to do is help them to be more skeptical and reasonable. Edited by Mighty AC

Skeptical is healthy I think. However it must be measured and weighed with reason and scientific evidence.

Exactly. Sometimes what you perceive as throwing barbs are shots of skepticism, reason, evidence and greater concern for a healthy and reasonable society.

Edited by Mighty AC

Believers put faith in things which cannot be proven, even really, really unlikely things. This is not a particularly intelligent thing to do. Severely religious people wear funny outfits all day every day because they think God wants them to. This makes no sense. They cut their hair in odd shapes and hide behind bedsheets and refuse to cut their nails or beards or wear anything but black. It's all really quite silly. Anyone who thinks God demands they wear a funny outfit all the time is kind of hard to take seriously. I mean, I get it if it's your job, but aside from that? Huh?

There's ZERO evidence they left these religious regimes because they were uncomfortable with the degree of religion in their lives. They left because we're a rich country and the religious regimes are poor countries.

Edited by Argus

This is your response to my call for a strong separation between church and state? Really? This from a guy who has no problem pointing out the flaws in Islamic theocracies. I'm not sure if your literacy skills need remediation or if you are actually suggesting that the barrier should be weakened, so which is it?

To choose, to not believe is a religion. It's your "spiritual choice. you want government to impose your beliefs on others. There is no literacy problem. More of a comprehension problem.

You are no better then any religion. Your trying to do the exact same thing. But in your mind your better then them , so you think it's different.

There's ZERO evidence they left these religious regimes because they were uncomfortable with the degree of religion in their lives. They left because we're a rich country and the religious regimes are poor countries.

But it stands to reason that they knew they were coming to a country where they are the minority, where their children would be raised in a secular environment. And the fact is that these kids lose their religion just as others do

Why would it be any different ?

I'm critical of anyone who wishes to threaten our way of life in our society. Which is an inclusive, tolerant, secular society where we have freedom of religion but also freedom from religion.

The only ones taking away your way of life in our society is our government in response to this so called 'threat'.

I haven't noticed it. I do keep reading about religious extremists taking all manner of people's way of life from them. Actually, taking their lives, too, now that I think about it.

Not so much our government. I'll keep an eye out, though.

To choose, to not believe is a religion. It's your "spiritual choice. you want government to impose your beliefs on others. There is no literacy problem. More of a comprehension problem.

You are no better then any religion. Your trying to do the exact same thing. But in your mind your better then them , so you think it's different.

To choose not to believe in unicorns or a living Elvis is a spiritual choice. Can you hear how ridiculous you sound? Separating church from state so that we aren't a theocracy is not imposing my beliefs on others. It allows for freedom of religion and governments to base decisions on evidence and reality. Those who seek to break that barrier are trying to impose their religion on the population.