Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only one conclusion to draw from all of this: Charles Anthony is bush_cheney2004.

:lol: yup... that seemed to be a prevailing thought in some of the back-channel discussions... something that started out as a University of Lethbridge poli-sci study

Actually, their politics couldn't be further apart.

I'm not sure how you can say that with such certainty. Not that I disagree, but I feel that both individuals are very difficult to characterize in that regard. And even then, this board has been around long enough, that people with different politics can "get along" better than people in the same camp sometimes.

I'm not sure how you can say that with such certainty. Not that I disagree, but I feel that both individuals are very difficult to characterize in that regard. And even then, this board has been around long enough, that people with different politics can "get along" better than people in the same camp sometimes.

BC's politics, at least as expressed here, and as truthfully as you can take them, are Republican. Charles was very much NDP in his outlook last time he posted as himself. The only difference seems to be that now when he finds my comments 'outrageous'' he gets to suspend me.

Edited by Argus

BC's politics, at least as expressed here, and as truthfully as you can take them, are Republican. Charles was very much NDP in his outlook last time he posted as himself. The only difference seems to be that now when he finds my comments 'outrageous'' he gets to suspend me.

Your suppositions surprise me, frankly. BC at least can self-declare, and we can choose to believe him or not. Charles is on the holy mountain, so the mortals can only wonder about the affairs of the gods. :)

There's an implication that his politics drives suspension decisions, though, and I am sure that that's incorrect.

Your suppositions surprise me, frankly. BC at least can self-declare, and we can choose to believe him or not. Charles is on the holy mountain, so the mortals can only wonder about the affairs of the gods. :)

But he used to be a regular poster here and I was around back then. He was not a fan of mine, to say the least, and I've seen no indication he's any less politically correct than he was back then. All my suspensions are based on not being respectful towards this group or that, be they Afghanis, gays, natives or Quebecers. So he clearly hasn't changed.

Ok then, Charles Anthony decided to lock out another thread! The Rob Anders one.

He does this when the posters start drifting way off topic and insulting each other.

What gets me about this tactic, is that to me, I feel he is not considering the position of the other posters who aren't involved in the pettiness. I was looking forward to further debating as to what will happen/has happened with Anders and his past/future in politics!

True, I didn't like it when the thread started shifting about other stuff unrelated to the nomination vote in Calgary, but it wasn't my fault!

I don't know who to be angry at, CA for locking it or the posters who degraded the debate/discussion?

This has happened before with other good threads and I feel there's got to be a better way to deal with this!

Perhaps temporarily suspending delinquent posters from the thread in question for 24 hours till they cool off?

Let them contribute to other stuff in the meantime.

WWWTT

Problem with that approach is that you penalize those who are not abusing the thread!

I suspect that the moderators can't stop members from contributing to specific threads. Either an all out suspension. Or locking the thread.

If members are becoming abusive/carried away/making inappropriate comments/wildly drifting in a specific thread, I believe it would be appropriate to suspend those individuals from contributing to it for 24 hrs.

Apparently this site will be going through an upgrade soon, and I believe this idea has merit and should be considered as a sound option!

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

yes - as Charles indicated, a temporary lock... with advise on how members should proceed once he chooses to open the thread again.

in the improvement thread, I put forward the suggestion for per member/per thread suspension. It's a practice followed on another board I infrequently visit... although that board runs on vbulletin software. I assume MLW's IP.Board software offers the same functionality... an assumption based on the fact the companies try to offer comparable software/features from a competitive aspect.

in the improvement thread, I put forward the suggestion for per member/per thread suspension. It's a practice followed on another board I infrequently visit... although that board runs on vbulletin software. I assume MLW's IP.Board software offers the same functionality... an assumption based on the fact the companies try to offer comparable software/features from a competitive aspect.

Thanks for previously suggesting the idea.

Hopefully the moderation can put the idea into practice and use it in their moderation of this site.

WWWTT

Ok then, Charles Anthony decided to lock out another thread! The Rob Anders one.

He does this when the posters start drifting way off topic and insulting each other.

What gets me about this tactic, is that to me, I feel he is not considering the position of the other posters who aren't involved in the pettiness. I was looking forward to further debating as to what will happen/has happened with Anders and his past/future in politics!

True, I didn't like it when the thread started shifting about other stuff unrelated to the nomination vote in Calgary, but it wasn't my fault!

I don't know who to be angry at, CA for locking it or the posters who degraded the debate/discussion?

This has happened before with other good threads and I feel there's got to be a better way to deal with this!

Perhaps temporarily suspending delinquent posters from the thread in question for 24 hours till they cool off?

WWWTT

Better yet, stop being so anal about thread drift. It's an organic conversation, things can and will go off topic from time to time. In the Anders thread, when I joined in, the topic has already very naturally transitioned to comparing the NDP and CPC nomination processes. The communism angle was already in progress as well -- I only replied to posts that were already there. Only a complete asshole would even consider suspending someone for that.

WWWTT

this type of moderating implies we need to take it into our own hands when posters get into petty arguments that drift threads, yet saying anything about it only contributes to the drift. So I guess it's a Catch-22.

Better yet, stop being so anal about thread drift. It's an organic conversation, things can and will go off topic from time to time. In the Anders thread, when I joined in, the topic has already very naturally transitioned to comparing the NDP and CPC nomination processes. The communism angle was already in progress as well -- I only replied to posts that were already there. Only a complete asshole would even consider suspending someone for that.

No, what happened was CA closed the thread for a short period because he probably felt that the dialogue was going to get nastier. I wasn't getting carried away and kept my eye on the ball!

Don't like my style of debate? Oh well, not my problem.

But I still think that waldo and I have a good suggestion that should be considered.

WWWTT

this type of moderating implies we need to take it into our own hands when posters get into petty arguments that drift threads, yet saying anything about it only contributes to the drift. So I guess it's a Catch-22.

Maybe, maybe not?

I try to be tactful about it and make sure that there is a little something in my comment that is obvious about the thread.

But I'm sure I'm guilty of drift too. A little drift is ok I guess.

If you go back and look at the comments, it's just not about drifting/petty bickering. There was also a nasty tone starting to snowball. It was escalating further to no freekin end?!? CA, in my opinion had to use the limited tools at his disposal to referee and called a time out.

Fortunately he re instated the thread quickly. But that wasn't always the case in the past.

Perhaps a pause for several hours will work? We'll see I guess.

I still like the idea of temporarily pushing out some posters from a thread till they get the idea.

WWWTT

I'm not really certain why people get suspended for "making conversations personal" (as if that's even possible on an anonymous board) or going off topic and yet you can make a prominent status update mocking the stabbing deaths of five young people in Calgary without repercussions. I don't see how trying to make people debate like robots improves the quality of the board, but forcing them to treat sensitive issues with respect makes sense to me.

I guess the consensus is one banning would solve everything.

You could just dleete all the off-topic back and forth nonsense. Presto. Clean thread.

You could just dleete all the off-topic back and forth nonsense. Presto. Clean thread.

I'm a member of a forum that does exactly that... they don't allow politics, religion or personal attacks. Posts simply get deleted and people get warnings and/or bannings. Very few people have actually been banned though. They seem to clean up their act because they have an interest in the topic that is supposed to be discussed and rules are clear.