Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

I don't know that he didn't say that. And why would I pretend that he did say that? That would be irresponsible on my part. And I wouldn't set out to discredit someone for no reason. If he didn't say that fine. I apologize. I misread his post.

I believe I did address the problem.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find direct personal insults to be quite frequent and I am astounded by the lack of respect for other members.

'dumbass local natives'. Hello!!! I believe that is a crass, derogatory comment made against a certain culture. Why would you even consider speaking like that. It's highly disrespectful and you wonder why you got suspended?

Actually, in the context in which it was used it was clear I was referencing the local council. And I called the local council of a white city or down a bunch of dumbasses I don't think I'd have been suspended. In fact, I did was similarly disdainful of the locals in Ontario when the issue of water resources came into play. The locals appointed drunks to run the water purification system.

Why should I treat either of them with respect when they so obviously didn't merit any?

And what is wrong with making a 'crass derogatory remark about a certain culture' even if I had? Are we not permitted to have such opinions? Or is it simply that you don't believe people should be allowed to express such views?

Edited by Argus

Argus giveth.....and he can taketh too. I doubt he ever reports anyone <cough cough> and I also doubt he is hurt by it.

I have (rarely) in the past, simply because it was either that, or tell someone what I thought of them -- and risk being suspended.

But I started out on usenet forums like can.politics, and if anyone here remembers just how those were I'm sure they can understand that what we see here is extraordinarily polite. My preference, in dealing with people who insult me would be to respond in kind -- only moreso. I don't do that here because it will get me suspended.

Edited by Argus

Great example. You should read some of the colourful language he uses to describe other cultures as well, like Southerners. It seems like when he doesn't understand something, or someone, he goes into insult mode. And yes, then gets a serious case of the vapors when he gets warned or suspended.

At least I don't follow people around like an undersized poodle, yapping away.

I don't know that he didn't say that. And why would I pretend that he did say that? That would be irresponsible on my part. And I wouldn't set out to discredit someone for no reason. If he didn't say that fine. I apologize. I misread his post. As far as me playing cutesy and shocked, that is very sexist. No wonder there aren't many women on this forum. And me being a weasel. that's a hoot!

You entirely miss the point, of course, which is that people have a right to be sexist. People have a right to not like certain cultures, certain countries, certain toothpaste. Do you want people suspended now for saying something sexist? Just how much protection do you believe people need from scary words?

Do you want people suspended now for saying something sexist? Just how much protection do you believe people need from scary words?

You are kidding, right? Can you get a little bit more mature. I think I can handle sexists remarks. I'm used to it and I don't expect folks to be suspended for being idiotic.

Where did you get that from ? It's a strange way to admit that you said something sexist.

It was said to another poster who supports suspending people, and who called another poster sexist.

Do you believe people should not be permitted to say things if they're sexist?

You are kidding, right? Can you get a little bit more mature. I think I can handle sexists remarks. I'm used to it and I don't expect folks to be suspended for being idiotic.

You were speaking with approval about my being suspended for making a remark which was politically incorrect. Then you accused another poster of sexism. I regarded my question as being entirely reasonable.

Edited by Argus

You're the one speaking with approval about my being suspended for making a remark which was politically incorrect. Then you accused another poster of sexism. I regarded my question as being entirely reasonable.

I am sorry but I am truly confused. One poster tells me that you did not say those disparaging remarks and now you tell me that you did say those remarks. You started this thread. If you can't take it, think twice before starting a thread about you being suspended.

I am sorry but I am truly confused. One poster tells me that you did not say those disparaging remarks and now you tell me that you did say those remarks. You started this thread. If you can't take it, think twice before starting a thread about you being suspended.

I wouldn't bother if I were you. They already illustrated just a bit of the nastiness they get reprimanded for. Don't waste your time. They don't deserve it. You'll just get sucked into their way of posting. It's happened to me on occasion, and I should have known better. Anything or anyone they don't understand, they just insult and name call. I think it makes them feel pseudo-superior.

I'll give you some credit for being new. Moderation has been a subject here for some time. It's come up often in the suggestion with regard to how to improve MLW. Greg at one point said it deserved its own thread and he was going to make one but he's a busy guy, and I figured this was a good time to make one, having just been suspended for saying unflattering things about Afghanistan.

As to this particular topic and 'dumbass local natives' I did not call them anything in this tread. I said you could call them dumbass local natives in parliament if you wanted to, and should be allowed to here, as well.

Edited by Argus

I wouldn't bother if I were you. They already illustrated just a bit of the nastiness they get reprimanded for. Don't waste your time. They don't deserve it. You'll just get sucked into their way of posting. It's happened to me on occasion, and I should have known better. Anything or anyone they don't understand, they just insult and name call. I think it makes them feel pseudo-superior.

And everyone on the site whose been here more than a month looks at that comment, looks at who said it, and bursts into incredulous laughter.

I'll give you some credit for being new. Moderation has been a subject here for some time. It's come up often in the suggestion with regard to how to improve MLW. Greg at one point said it deserved its own thread and he was going to make one but he's a busy guy, and I figured this was a good time to make one, having just been suspended for saying unflattering things about Afghanistan.

As to this particular topic and 'dumbass local natives' I did not call them anything in this tread. I said you could call them dumbass local natives in parliament if you wanted to, and should be allowed to here, as well.

Ok, so this is where I get confused. You are saying that it should be ok to call them 'dumbass local natives' in this forum. Is that what you are saying?

I just want to be clear here.

This has nothing to do with me being new here.

Ok, so this is where I get confused. You are saying that it should be ok to call them 'dumbass local natives' in this forum. Is that what you are saying?

I think I made my views on the purpose behind moderation clear in my original post. And that purpose is NOT to avoid having anyone offended by opinions with which they disagree. So yes, if I can call the locals who got drunk and poisoned their own water supply alcoholic morons, why should I not be able to call the native council of a particular reserve dumbasses? How does this interfere with discussion to the extent a person should be suspended for it? I know natives who think Theresa Spence and her council were crass and incompetent idiots. Can they call them dumbasses because they too are natives? And why should we care?

The purpose of moderation to allow free discussion. By suspending people who are not interfering with the free flow of discussion moderation actually interupts that discussion, and every other one the suspended member was participating in. By having multiple people suspended at the same time there are less people to discuss issues, and a web site like this thrives on the number of people posting on various topics.

And yes, I suppose I could instead say they were incompetent, crass, opportunistic, corrupt, self-serving, dishonest, etc. etc. all of which can be argued with some logic and fact. Using an offhand term like 'dumbass' might not be impressive intellectual discussion, but most people don't come here to craft careful intellectual discussions, but to take part in casual political conversation. This is not work but play, after all. And it's hard to have casual discussions when an making the wrong offhand comment can get you instantly suspended.

Edited by Argus

He was using that statement as an example.... He didn't actually say it. You truly are misreading it.... Go back and try again....

Did you actually say that? Now I'm confused. Is that why you were suspended?

Edited by The_Squid

He was using that statement as an example.... He didn't actually say it. You truly are misreading it.... Go back and try again....

So now I am being hung to dry for something that someone else said????

I was suspended for a post in the Afghanistan thread, whein I suggested that once western soldiers left things would return pretty much to the way they were before, due to the cultural ignorance and backwardness and religious fanaticism of the locals. I just didn't craft my message carefully and used language which was a little more colourful.

But as I said in the OP I have, in the past, been suspended for similarly unflattering views of Quebec's cultural values, as well as suggesting the problems in a certain reserve were not the fault of the federal government which provided them with resources but the locals who misused them. So yes, I did use the term 'dumbass local natives' a couple of years back on that thread.

I don't regard this web site as akin to the debating floor at Cambridge University but more of a pub table around which people gather to drink beers and discuss things. This is a casual discussion site, after all, and we should be allowed to say whatever we want to as long as it doesn't disrupt, interupt or interfere with the discussion.

So yes, I did use the term 'dumbass local natives' a couple of years back on that thread.

Thank you Argus for not letting me hang out to dry. I thought that is what you said and I had no intention of putting words in your mouth. I thought that I had comprehended what you said was correct. And the end result was that someone took to task that I was sensitive to sexist remarks. Let's all be aware of how powerful words can be misconstrued.

Thank you Argus for not letting me hang out to dry. I thought that is what you said and I had no intention of putting words in your mouth. I thought that I had comprehended what you said was correct. And the end result was that someone took to task that I was sensitive to sexist remarks. Let's all be aware of how powerful words can be misconstrued.

Well, you did accuse someone (I forget who) of using sexist remarks, so that was the context in which that came up.

The confusion arose because I did not say 'dumbass local natives' in my opening post except as an example of something I could say in the house of commons but couldn't say here. I did, however, mention I had been suspended a couple of years back for insulting the band council of Attawapiskat, and you jumped to the conclusion that was what I said. The other posters realized this, ie, that you were jumping to conclusions based on my house of commons example. What they didn't realize was that your conclusion was, in this case, correct. That was what I said.

Well, you did accuse someone (I forget who) of using sexist remarks, so that was the context in which that came up.

Well, they were sexist remarks and I will stand by my accusation but it really doesn't matter. Sexist remarks are very subtle and hard to pinpoint.

Well, they were sexist remarks and I will stand by my accusation but it really doesn't matter. Sexist remarks are very subtle and hard to pinpoint.

I'm more interested, actually, in your belief I should have been suspended for my remarks 'dumbass local natives'. Can you state why you believe that would be the proper couse for this web site? I.e., to suspend people who make politically incorrect remarks about different cultural groups (afghanistanis or natives or whomever). Do you feel such statements can't be properly challenged and given argument?

I.e., to suspend people who make politically incorrect remarks about different cultural groups (afghanistanis or natives or whomever). Do you feel such statements can't be properly challenged and given argument?

I don't understand how stating that 'dumbass local natives' can be beneficial to any conversation. I don't believe that this is a politically incorrect remark. I believe that this is truly an insulting remark. Can you for an instant, put yourself in the boots of a canadian native. Do you understand what they have been through, what they fight for, the grievances they have had to endure and continue to fight for the rights of their people.

When you can say 'yes', then I will give consider you calling them what you did.

And everyone on the site whose been here more than a month looks at that comment, looks at who said it, and bursts into incredulous laughter.

No...it's true to this member who has been here more than one month. They get upset, lash out, and attack other members and entire groups of people instead of typing a competent, on topic response. Then they whine about the resulting and deserved warnings and/or suspension(s).

No...it's true to this member who has been here more than one month. They get upset, lash out, and attack other members and entire groups of people instead of typing a competent, on topic response. Then they whine about the resulting and deserved warnings and/or suspension(s).

Is this directed at me?