Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

The few nut job Christians who are bombing an abortion clinic or beating gays is in news once every few years. Plus these people aren't trying to take over the world like Muslims are doing with the Caliphate. I find it hard to believe that the Muslims that are here now would side with Canada over the Caliphate when the choice comes. And it will. The war will come here. Maybe by next yearm

THE Caliphate, eh? You might want to look into the history of Islam a bit more before commenting again.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between critical and absolutely racism.

I don't understand the grammatical structure of that non-sentence or even what you are trying to say. Please explain.

Folks,

Please avoid thread drift. I shuffled a few posts into the This week in Islam thread.

To Charles Anthony - Thank you for your response. In answer to your question - racist, bigot, misogynist - What do you call a person who disagrees with my definitions - Normal.

The meaning of the terms racist, bigot and misogynist are up to interpretation. For instance, what does "superior" mean? and would it be racist if I thought my race was "inferior" to other races??

If JoeBleau called me a racist, a bigot or a misogynist, I can not be certain of what he truly means. I could confidently gamble based on my experience in common parlance but until Joe clarifies what he means by "superior" as it could pertain to those 3 concepts, I can not even be certain he is engaging in any truly intelligent conversation. If he directed those labels at me, the odds are that he is trolling or perhaps, he does not have the capacity to carry an intelligent conversation because he demonstrably can not see his reflexive expressed ambiguity. I would not take his attacks any more seriously than I would take a discussion over the superiority of cats over dogs.

MOD BIAS: I love cats but I own a guard dog and he chased them all away. I am going to have to get a tiger or a lion next time.

Those definitions are taken directly off Google definition site. I posted those particular definitions to show which definition I am using and referring to.

Sure but our linguistic culture is inherently ambiguous. Those definitions are meaningless without a definition of the word superior:

higher in rank, status, or quality.

"a superior officer"

synonyms: higher-ranking, higher-level, senior, higher, higher-up

Now, we have to agree on a definition of the word higher.... round and round we go until somebody acts.

Unfortunately, there is no obvious meaning to the word "higher" as it pertains to race or to creed or to sex --- just like you obviously can not have "higher" flavors of ice cream. Use of such labels obfuscates true meaning and intent of the speaker. I am going to take a wild guess and say that your average run-of-the-mill racists, bigots and misogynists think their race, their creed and their sex should feel good about committing particular acts upon the others. I could be wrong but that is my bias. Either way, until such labels are clearly identified with an association to human action, they are effectively meaningless and of no use to clear discussion. From a moderator's perspective, they are no more interesting than thread drift at best or gobbledy-gook at worst.

"Is JoeBlow's racism, bigotry or misogyny the topic of discussion?? No. Then stop it." The same goes if member X was heaping flowering praise upon a fellow member. It is thread drift. Once it becomes the focus of a diatribe and distracts away from the topic of the thread, it is trolling too.

Be more specific. WHO actually admits to being racist?

Me. I admit to being racist. WHAT difference does that make?

This IS an anonymous board. So how personal can it get when nobody here knows anyone's real identity unless they go out of their way to do so?

Let me take a step back. First, what is actually honestly being attacked?

Irrelevent. It does not matter HOW personal a discussion gets. Once the discussion gets personal, it is thread drift.

I guess what I was attempting to clarify was that before we can discuss any issue we have to agree on the meaning of certain words that we use. I do not claim that my definition is the only one. I wanted to state what my interpretation is and if the reader agrees then we can use it to further our views. I really do not strongly care one way or the other.

You did make the statement where you suggested a criteria under which you take somebodies attacks more seriously. Personally, I take nothing seriously from an anonymous source. It is very difficult to establish a sense of credibility or character or personality or competency of someone using an avatar.

I believe that we all gauge the importance of someone's views based on the reputation of the person and our respect for his/her views based on previous interaction and proven credibility of being correct. We have no such information on these boards.

As to the clarity of the meaning of words, as that great former President of the United States has pronounced; "It depends upon what the meaning of the word "is" is. If the - if he - if "is" means is and never has been, that is not - that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement." :D

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Irrelevent. It does not matter HOW personal a discussion gets. Once the discussion gets personal, it is thread drift.

Ha! Got you!

That simply does not compute because what you are NOW saying is that we can not use our own personal experiences or beliefs in any discussion because that would be getting personal, therefore it is thread drift. But hold on now, those experiences can be completely on topic!

Kiss goodbye to 80% of the traffic on this site!l

WWWTT

I guess what I was attempting to clarify was that before we can discuss any issue we have to agree on the meaning of certain words that we use.

Ya good luck with that one!

The verdict posters here have come to is that the definitions of key words/phrases such as troll and thread drift is subject to change without notice.

So now we have come a full circle. Hope you enjoyed the ride, please come again!

WWWTT

As to your second post, there is a big difference between loving your family and believing that you are superior to other families.

So our drive to win at sports and at the Olympic is not to prove we are the best............ Seriously your funny, It's a basic human drive. Have we become so disillusioned, that we can't even admit our basic natural instincts.

As for the left and right wing, Why do you start a post by telling me I'm wrong, and then basically explains why I'm right?

Edited by Freddy

Ya good luck with that one!

The verdict posters here have come to is that the definitions of key words/phrases such as troll and thread drift is subject to change without notice.

So now we have come a full circle. Hope you enjoyed the ride, please come again!

WWWTT

Trolling is the action of slowly dragging a bate on a hook in the attempts to catch a deep lurking fish.

Lets be honest, the amount of trolling happening on this site is very minimal.

When I compare to the other sites I visit periodically.

I'd rank this one as one of the less trollish.

Yes, but here they evidently define trolling as anything insulting or personal.

Trolling is the action of slowly dragging a bate on a hook in the attempts to catch a deep lurking fish.

Lets be honest, the amount of trolling happening on this site is very minimal.

Now, THIS is comedy. Or trolling. Hard to tell these days.

• 1 month later...

Cheap shots, innuendo and insults have become the norm here. Every post is attacked from the left or the right or by those who have become "enemies" through previous encounters.

I continue here because there have been some very interesting and informative discussions involving about six posters who choose to comment on issues and do so with civility.

There are two opinion boards to which I have been invited by former members here. I am investigating their moderation, tone and acceptance of insulting and demeaning contributions. You end up with the kind of contributors you tolerate.