Seven things I've learned from FOX news.

Argus

Not in mine it isn't. There is a growing movement to either sell it or at least cut its funding. If it wasn't for hockey, it would have no reason to exist. And it's losing that hockey soon.

Funding has already been cut under this government. Sometimes we all have to bite the bullit to balance the books. But those circles you are in must be small and concentric. Take a poll across the country and see what you get.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funding has already been cut under this government. Sometimes we all have to bite the bullit to balance the books. But those circles you are in must be small and concentric. Take a poll across the country and see what you get.

Polls have been done. 45% of Canadians polled said they'd like to see the CBC sold off:

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/01/30/canadians-in-favour-of-privatizing-crown-corporations-poll/

It found most Canadians still enjoy the companies’ services, but 53 per cent feel the need to sell off Via Rail to a private company, 47 per cent want to privatize Canada Post and 45 per cent feel the same about the CBC.

Which is pretty much in line with what I hear from my friends, relatives, co-workers, team-mates, other parents at my kids' school and sports, etc. Almost half of them -- even ones whose political views skew considerably left -- don't have much use for the CBC anymore. Hockey is literally the only uniting force that keeps people from calling for it to be shutdown outright. Once that programming is gone, I guarantee the number of people calling for it to be sold off will increase substantially.

Funding has not really been cut anyway. A few redundancies have been eliminated, while other grants have increased. The total dollar figure that the CBC receives now is more than they got under Martin. Even when adjusted for inflation, the drop is minor compared to the cutting that needs to be done. They're using taxpayers money to try to outbid private broadcasters. If the private sector is already not only happy to provide that programming, but also willing to pony up substantial money to do it, that is not something the public sector should be trying to compete with. Especially since they are getting both advertising dollars AND over a $billion/yr in government grants, all while paying their employees almost 40% more than the private sector.

That rant said, I still see value in some CBC programming. There are a few radio shows that I enjoy. I only listen to them in iTunes though, never over the air. That's where CBC's eventual fate should probably lie: sell the TV operations outright, shutdown the radio stations, and concentrate on making podcasts that fill niches NOT being covered by the private broadcasters.

Oh yes, the abacus poll. Well, the globe also has a poll which says 51% want the cbc kept in gov hands, 25% wanted to privatiize. And a LOT of funding has been cut. The government itself doesn't want to divest itself of CBC. If they really need to save money they could IMO, sell off the TV portion. I don't watch a lot of it anyway. I would fight hammer and tong to keep the radio. It is a thread that helps keep this country together. And you don't have to continously have to listen to some goon going on about "Joe's Used Cars" or some other crap over and over.

bush_cheney2004, on 12 Feb 2014 - 4:23 PM, said:

How noble...defending the CBC at all costs...I like that.

However, I will continue to express my opinion(s) move the goalposts about Fox News Channel over your meaningless protests.

No need to defend the CBC, unless one is defending purposeful ignorance and trolling.....which I will do.

I amended your second line for accuracy

Otay...but please learn how to use the quote feature...you should know it by now.

I never fail to pause when Megyn Kelly is on the screen, but the wide shot reveals that her cute face is situated on a massive head, far too large for the body.

OK, but you have to admit it is better than Greta's botoxed face no matter what the size.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Fox News Channel has a large audience demographic that obviously prefers it over other cable news sources.

half the Fox News audience is over 68 years old... the jig is up for both the GOP and Fox News! As Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said: "The demographics race we’re losing badly. We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

Doesn't matter, as they are not financed with taxpayer dollars or government controlled like another broadcaster in North America.

speaking of that repetition you just mentioned... you once again, for the umpteenth time in this thread, repeat your trolling reference to 'government controlled'. In your mind, does your not specifically mentioning the CBC give you trolling cover? :lol:

If you insist on a more direct repetitive statement, I am more than happy to oblige. Fox News Channel (FNC) is financed mostly with private capital and advertising revenue, unlike another North American broadcaster like Canada's state/government financed and controlled CBC, which relies on taxpayer funding in addition to more modest ad revenue.

Fox News Channel has been a major media partner in Canada's push to complete a controversial diluted bitumen pipeline from Alberta to Steele City, Nebraska. The Canadian government has used many U.S. media outlets in addition to FNC in an attempt to sway opinion and win the Keystone XL pipeline battle.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

speaking of that repetition you just mentioned... you once again, for the umpteenth time in this thread, repeat your trolling reference to 'government controlled'. In your mind, does your not specifically mentioning the CBC give you trolling cover? :lol:

I seem to recall you used to be able to fix a broken record with a little nudge. I guess some are just stuck forever.