Seven things I've learned from FOX news.

Argus

But that is not all domestically produced content....the choices you have are largely American and supported by advertisers. Americans have more choice for domestically produced content. Don't you guys make a big fuss about "Canadian content", CRTC rules, blah, blah blah ?

The CBC isn't domestically produced content? Holy cow, you are out of the loop more than I thought.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CBC isn't domestically produced content? Holy cow, you are out of the loop more than I thought.

More dodging of the question.....Fox News Channel is part of more choice for American broadcast and cable news compared to what is produced in Canada, state funded or otherwise. More choice is better than less choice. That's also why Canadians cross the border to shop in the U.S., literally and figuratively for more choices in television news programming.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

More dodging of the question.....Fox News Channel is part of more choice for American broadcast and cable news compared to what is produced in Canada, state funded or otherwise. More choice is better than less choice. That's also why Canadians cross the border to shop in the U.S., literally and figuratively for more choices in television news programming.

Nope, more choice is not necessarily better than less choice. If you have as Pink Floyd pointed out "13 channels of shit on the TV to choose from" why is that better than, say, 10 channells of shit. Fox is one of those, so go ahead and choose it. It's still you know what, and that's why I don't choose it, and why CBC is so popular here. You can actually learn stuff there, which is why we are happy to pay for it.

Nope, more choice is not necessarily better than less choice. If you have as Pink Floyd pointed out "13 channels of shit on the TV to choose from" why is that better than, say, 10 channells of shit. Fox is one of those, so go ahead and choose it. It's still you know what, and that's why I don't choose it, and why CBC is so popular here. You can actually learn stuff there, which is why we are happy to pay for it.

That's great, but Americans aren't telling Canadians what they should or should not watch. Why does it concern you so much that Americans would have more choices at home and in Afghanistan ? Fox News Channel has been the highest rated cable news channel in the U.S. for years. It's not produced for you in Canada, but many Canadians and other nationals watch it. What's the problem here ?

I don't let "Pink Floyd" do my thinking, but to each his/her own.

That's great, but Americans aren't telling Canadians what they should or should not watch. Why does it concern you so much that Americans would have more choices at home and in Afghanistan ? Fox News Channel has been the highest rated cable news channel in the U.S. for years. It's not produced for you in Canada, but many Canadians and other nationals watch it. What's the problem here ?

The problem is, it is extremely right wing and biased. Is that not enough of problems to stear you away, it is for me.

The problem is, it is extremely right wing and biased. Is that not enough of problems to stear you away, it is for me.

And I don't think anybody is trying to tell anybody what they should or shouldn't watch. I'm expressing why I watch what I watch and why I don't watch the other. The choice is up to the individual.

OK...and that is your choice, except when eating breakfast at American bases in Afghanistan. Some Americans want an "extremely right wing choice", others don't, but they still have more choice than in Canada for domestically produced content. All news outlets have bias.

And I don't think anybody is trying to tell anybody what they should or shouldn't watch. I'm expressing why I watch what I watch and why I don't watch the other. The choice is up to the individual.

Good, then you agree that having more choice is better, and more choice includes Fox News Channel.

OK...and that is your choice, except when eating breakfast at American bases in Afghanistan. Some Americans want an "extremely right wing choice", others don't, but they still have more choice than in Canada for domestically produced content. All news outlets have bias.

Are you suggesting where I was eating breakfast should somehow influence my choice of what kind of news I want to hear?

Not at all, I have already pointed out that more choices in no way assumes better choices. Volume and value are two very different concepts. Ten different variations of Fox news could all be just as bad.

Logical fail....no matter how bad you think Fox News may be, it still constitutes more choice. And that is good, unless you wish to control choice and access to diverse opinions and views. No wonder you prefer state financed and controlled CBC news. Perhaps you don't know any better.

Logical fail....no matter how bad you think Fox News may be, it still constitutes more choice. And that is good, unless you wish to control choice and access to diverse opinions and views. No wonder you prefer state financed and controlled CBC news. Perhaps you don't know any better.

Oh no, I don't wasnt to control anybody's choice, but I do have good reasons for making the ones I do. And you just don't seem to get it about the CBC, which seems to suggest the very narrow mindedness you try to project on others. SAD.

Oh no, I don't wasnt to control anybody's choice, but I do have good reasons for making the ones I do. And you just don't seem to get it about the CBC, which seems to suggest the very narrow mindedness you try to project on others. SAD.

My only beef with the CBC is state financing and control...many Canadians would also cut such state sponsorship. Regardless, I am happy to have far more domestic choices than you have in Canada, and that includes Fox News Channel.

My only beef with the CBC is state financing and control...many Canadians would also cut such state sponsorship. Regardless, I am happy to have far more domestic choices than you have in Canada, and that includes Fox News Channel.

Well enjoy your Fox news. Did they tell you many Canadians would cut sponshorship to CBC? If any government here in Canada tried to shut down CBC, Canadians would storm Ottawa. Not many Canadians would cut the sponsorship to CBC. Fox might like you to believe that because they want your money. again, enjoy your pablum.

Well enjoy your Fox news. Did they tell you many Canadians would cut sponshorship to CBC? If any government here in Canada tried to shut down CBC, Canadians would storm Ottawa. Not many Canadians would cut the sponsorship to CBC. Fox might like you to believe that because they want your money. again, enjoy your pablum.

Thank you, and you can continue to enjoy you state financed "pablum". Except when in Afghanistan, of course.

The CBC told me about CBC budget cuts, so it does happen:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbc-budget-cut-by-115m-over-3-years-1.1147096

Pages and pages talking about CBC in a thread about FOX news. Stop feeding the trolls, people.

I'm not feeding... really. :lol: Sure CBC obviously gets government funding (as do many American broadcasting entities)... but the guy perpetually labels CBC as government "funded/controlled". Whatever that "control" reference actually applies to, we owe it to that crew of MLW members regularly running at and bashing the claimed 'CBC leftist and anti-Harper agenda', to hear exactly how Harper Conservatives are aiding and abetting (aka controlling) that claimed agenda.

FOX News is propaganda filth at it's worst. It's amazingly effective, millions consume its BS, so in that sense its creators are brilliant, but it still makes the world a more horrible place. FOX News is what happens when a manipulative and dishonest person with a moronic worldview owns a powerful media network.

Complete and utter nonsense. But that's the ignorant unwashed view from people that get there news about Fox News from Internet blogs etc who's number one goal is to try to discredit them at every opportunity. Still nostalgic for the day the mainstream media had a monopoly on the message.

This is a violation of forum rules. Please do not insult other members because of a differing opinion.

Naw, its a fact since you are too thick headed to understand it is not state controlled.

There is enough evidence on these threads to prove it too.

As for choices, we have much the same, mitigating...rather definitively making your point nothing but trolling.

CBC

CTV

SNN

GLOBAL

CITYTV

CBCNN

CTVNN

Maybe lack of choice is what happens when a country ten times the pop has only marginally more news networks/outlets

Oh the horror.

But to get back to the first point, yup a fact.

....But to get back to the first point, yup a fact.

Fox News Channel is not financed by government. This fact alone distinguishes it from the CBC which is very dependent on taxpayer funding. This creates a real and potential conflict of interest than any "idiot" can recognize, the mere appearance of which would be unacceptable in other settings. The CBC is state financed and controlled....that's my story...and I'm sticking with it.