Neil Young rocks the tar sands

jacee

Honour the Treaties tour: Neil Youngs comments attacking oilsands, Harper government spark outrage, support

"Canada is trading integrity for money, the 68-year-old musical icon said. Its an embarrassment to any Canadians.

I want my grandchildren to grow up and see a blue sky and have dreams that their grandchildren are going to do great things. And I dont see that today in Canada. I see a government that is completely out of control.

Proceeds from his performance in Toronto and shows this week in Winnipeg, Regina and Calgary are being donated to the legal defence fund of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, a northern Alberta band challenging new projects and expanded development because they say it infringes on their treaty rights.

We made a deal with these people. We are breaking our promise.

Mark Cooper, a spokesman for the Calgary-based Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, said the group recognizes Young as a performer but disagrees with his opinions.We also believe reasonable people realize that some of the anti-fossil-fuel arguments that are being forwarded do not reflect todays reality.

"Our desire is to have positive relationships with aboriginal communities and understand that it is essential for our industry to work with them. We recognize those relationships are key to developing the capacity of projects.

"Kevin Zahara, press secretary to Alberta Environment Minister Robin Campbell, said the province has led North America on initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and that it is investing heavily in newer and cleaner technology.

The petroleum industry's response is interesting: They don't denigrate Neil, Aboriginal peoples, treaties or environmental concerns as I believe they once would have. Their approach seems to have matured as the strength of legal and political opposition to ramping up tar sands development has become more powerful.

Whichever side of the discussion appeals to each of us, it's apparent that the best solutions will only occur when both sides are heard, and both have the ears of power and the resources to promote their message.

Rock on Neil! :D

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

To paraphrase Ronnie Van Zant:

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man Canadian don't need him around anyhow

"I drove my electric car from California to the tarsands and on to Washington, D.C., without using any oil at all," Young said. "And I'm a rock star."

Link

Neil Young telling me to buy a Prius is like me telling a textile worker in Bangladesh to use the Internet to find another job.

We each face different constraints, and our choices are different,

Link

Neil Young telling me to buy a Prius is like me telling a textile worker in Bangladesh to use the Internet to find another job.

I sort of get your point, but, let me add this: Niel as I'm sure you are well aware doesn't have to drive a Prius. He could, like Jay Leno for instance, choose to have a garage full of gas guzzling "penis extenders", if he wanted to. He chose the Prius.

No reason you can't do what you can when you can. I'm by no means rich, but I recycle, compost, upgrade to more efficient appliances and equipment, pay the renewable surcharge etc.

If you're gunna put your mouth behind it, you might as well put your time and money behind it too.

No reason you can't do what you can when you can. I'm by no means rich, but I recycle, compost, upgrade to more efficient appliances and equipment, pay the renewable surcharge etc.

If you're gunna put your mouth behind it, you might as well put your time and money behind it too.

Why? It's much easier to just do nothing and make excuses. Not cheaper (not in the long run, anyway) but easier.

Also, you can make your ass toasty with those oh-so-necessary seat warmers in your big-ass SUV.

... I'm by no means rich, but I recycle, compost, upgrade to more efficient appliances and equipment, pay the renewable surcharge etc.

You are a champagne Canadian, I suspect you're a Leftist.

------

As I say:

We each face different constraints, and our choices are different.

=====

With all this said, various health care rules or banking regulations aside, what works?

Edited by August1991

I think August means you have a bubbly personality.

That must be it. He only ever calls me "Bubbler."

But Neil Young isn't forcing anyone to listen to him. Those who are offended that he would dare suggest we work towards using more carbon-neutral energy sources have been sufficiently brainwashed to believe we're not supposed to talk about such issues.

And of course, it doesn't help that our government presents such discussion as hypocritical treason against our lavish lifestyle and hard-working Canadians. There is no low they aren't game to sink to.

Edited by BubberMiley

He moved to California, he didn't abandon Canada. Check his passport if you like. And he's back up here chasing Harper back under the bed where he seems to spend a lot of his time. Oh what fun!

He has spent more time outside of canada then inside. He embarressed himself big time like most celebs that arte so misinformed. And if you believe the BS he has said about alberta, then you are just as misinformed as he is.

The misinformed are those who believe it's hypocritical to make suggestions towards improving a society while still living in it. I can't believe a PMO's Office would be so slimy as to even suggest that were the case. I wonder if Harper will admit that he knew of this coming out of his office or if it's one of those things he won't take responsibility for.

The misinformed are those who believe it's hypocritical to make suggestions towards improving a society while still living in it. I can't believe a PMO's Office would be so slimy as to even suggest that were the case. I wonder if Harper will admit that he knew of this coming out of his office or if it's one of those things he won't take responsibility for.

So-called Improving society is subjective. Many would think his ideas would do the opposite.

Decreasing our standard of living and increasing the cost of energy doesn't come off as improving society. Maybe for a millionaire that doesn't have to worry about such things.

Couldn't we all increase our standard of living with big honking ranches like Neil has in California ? Yea, that's the ticket...ranches for everybody...with horses and electric cars and windmills.

It's hypocritical, because Neil's carbon footprint in touring, traveling, equipment and sound, the people he needs to move around, recording and distributing albums, etc, is probably 100 - 1000x that of the average Canadian.

Dear Neil: Guess what, you don't distribute your albums worldwide in a Prius. And unless you want us to believe you tow your entire entourage, stage and equipment in that prius, kindly shut your big mouth you hypocritical jerk.

For all of us to live Neil's lifestyle and live in properties like his, the increase use of fossil fuels to make that happen is beyond enormous. As usual, another celebrity proposing solutions that don't affect their lifestyle at all, but make a big difference for the little people. Who cares if thousand of oil sands workers have to lose their jobs? Neil still has millions of dollars.

Link

Very, very well said.

Edited by hitops