A Canada/US merger?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diane Francis was on TVO's "The Agenda" either trying to sell her book or sell to Canadians to think about a merger or maybe both. I wonder if the elite who want to have the NAU like the EU isn't behind her book, to get Canadians to think about this because she was very educated about 5 different solutions. I don't think Canadians want any merger with the US and she can't understand that because she a born American.

So the only way someone can advocate a merger is if they are secretly controlled by the elite?

There are plenty of Canadians in this thread who would support a merger under some circumstances. But I guess 'Canadians [don't] want any merger' *sarcasm*.

So the only way someone can advocate a merger is if they are secretly controlled by the elite?

There are plenty of Canadians in this thread who would support a merger under some circumstances. But I guess 'Canadians [don't] want any merger' *sarcasm*.

My guess is that would find almost zero support for a merger if people were polled... sure... theres always a few quacks... but this is not what people want.

What are countries for, anyway ?

Trade barriers and security barriers don't really exist so much between Canada and the US.

Why do we have them, again ? I fear that a big reason has something to do with identity, which just doesn't make sense to me.

It is only for the olympics. Edited by PIK

Most Canadians who want to "merge" with the U.S. have already moved there, become citizens, pay less tax, and enjoy better weather.

Once again there is that old myth that Canadians are so heavily taxed vis a vis Americans. As for the weather, yep Florida in December is certainly nicer than the prairies for instance. However I think I'd rather feel the need for a warm coat for part of the year than a ballistic vest all the time.

... However I think I'd rather feel the need for a warm coat for part of the year than a ballistic vest all the time.

Suit yourself, but many other Canadians will be crossing the border today to take advantage of "that old myth" of lower prices and lower taxes for "Black Friday" shopping (and on many other days too). Canada's government financed and controlled broad/webcaster (CBC) has recently highlighted such disparities, including huge differences in prices/taxes for new autos & trucks, even when they are manufactured in Canada.

No wonder I see so many Canadian license plates....in the USA.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Suit yourself, but many other Canadians will be crossing the border today to take advantage of "that old myth" of lower prices and lower taxes for "Black Friday" shopping (and on many other days too). Canada's government financed and controlled broad/webcaster (CBC) has recently highlighted such disparities, including huge differences in prices/taxes for new autos & trucks, even when they are manufactured in Canada.

No wonder I see so many Canadian license plates....in the USA.

Certainly there is corporate gouging going on in certain segments of industry under the oft used excuse and somewhat accurate theory regarding population density in Canada. I have spent a lot of time in the US and so am aware of price differences, so that is no myth. But I wasnt talking prices I was talking taxes, which is where the myth exists. Especially when you figure in the cost of health care, if you can get it south of the border, the taxes balance out, I would also point out that the CBC is government funded, not controlled, Since they dont have to bow down to corporate sponsors they dont have to dance the funky chicken for them and we can get both sides of a story. AND. we dont have to listen so many mind numbingly stupid commercials, especially on radio, A breath of fresh air.

Certainly there is corporate gouging going on in certain segments of industry under the oft used excuse and somewhat accurate theory regarding population density in Canada. I have spent a lot of time in the US and so am aware of price differences, so that is no myth.

How telling...you have spent a lot of time in the U.S. I have not spent a lot of time in Canada, even though I live in a border state. No reason to.

But I wasnt talking prices I was talking taxes, which is where the myth exists. Especially when you figure in the cost of health care, if you can get it south of the border, the taxes balance out,

No they don't...prices and taxes are obviously related given what Canadians have to pay. Plenty of Americans have untaxed, employer provided health insurance and quicker access to care, not just a free ride on a waiting list.

I would also point out that the CBC is government funded, not controlled, Since they dont have to bow down to corporate sponsors they dont have to dance the funky chicken for them and we can get both sides of a story. AND. we dont have to listen so many mind numbingly stupid commercials, especially on radio, A breath of fresh air.

Sure...that's why so many Canadians watch U.S. programming and broadcast/cable channels. The CBC has been pounding away at the price/tax disparities given near dollar parity. Canadians pay more in prices+tax while having less product selection, except for the ones who buy in the USA in person or via web sites, delivering to a U.S. post office for that quick cross border dash. "Buy in Canada to support local businesses" often falls on deaf ears as they seek bargains in the evil US of A.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I'm pretty sure Obama had nothing to do with the website nor should he have, other than saying "make it work".

Most here have no clue how this site operates and what it takes to keep it running. Never mind something on that scale , cross country, trying to tie in several antequated systems across different platforms. Datacenters, information flow verification, security, compatibility. To launch any site of THAT magnitude means there will be problems at the start. It's no small endeavour.

The top people said 'make it work', the IT guys said, 'those are unrealistic expectations'.

I'm pretty sure Obama had nothing to do with the website nor should he have, other than saying "make it work".

Obama physically got caught in the website. (link), excerpts below:

Terrified Obama Trapped Inside Healthcare.gov Website

WASHINGTON—According to an urgent report issued today by the White House, a terrified and frantic President Obama is currently trapped inside the healthcare.gov website.

Early reports indicate the president inadvertently became physically enmeshed in the inner workings of the online health insurance exchange at approximately 11:48 a.m. this morning, and is at this very moment attempting to find any possible means of escape from the highly unstable and dangerous healthcare.gov internal network.

“Please, if anyone can hear me, I need help!” said Obama, his voice reportedly echoing endlessly in the distance as he carefully stepped along a green grid of individual and family enrollment information. “Is anyone there? Can anyone hear me? I’m Barack Obama, President of the United States of America! I need to get out of here!”

Edited by jbg

I'd go for a merger with the disunited states and Mexico-Canada + Washington + Oregon + California + Mexico. Call it what you want Canexfornica, Maxiston, etc/...online contest for the "flag" it would fly....winner gets $100.

Benefits include:cheap resources meets cheap labor along the duty free axis and as a 'nation' we could make all sorts of useless crap to sell to the remaining states. We get all the weed, weather and wine-all revenue sources. Both types of fruits!

Under the right management it would be economic powerhouse.

If I was the CEO-I'd subcontract governance of this new nation out to the Swedes, or Germans. Subcontract defense out to the UK.

The likes of MGM would become crown corporations-big screen hits to come "Beachcombers II-Relics Revenge"

Trade Wars would be a reality TV show and feature BC bud against Acapulco gold.

There would be no official language-market economics would drive that decision.

But health, education and housing would be rights in the charter and with the tax revenues flowing in, quite doable as national benefits