Petition to change the name of "Victoria Day"

Guest Kenneth

If you go to something like a Ribfest or the EX. You used to have to go to a fenced off area to buy and consume alcohol.

For the past few years you haven't had to do those things.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2011/05/23/ontario_on_track_to_loosen_liquor_laws_by_summer_attorney_general.html

Can I take my own picnic and a beer and sit in a park/at a beach etc and drink it yet?

Not civilized enough yet!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kenneth

Can I take my own picnic and a beer and sit in a park/at a beach etc and drink it yet?

Not civilized enough yet!

If that's your concept of being "civilized"...

Guest American Woman

The title of the thread was changed because...?

Methinks taking bcsapper's advice was a bad move as the rules clearly state no third party insults, and "Numbnut leftists" is clearly a third party insult.

Guest Kenneth

Okay I changed it again - I don't see how referring to them is a "third party insult" since that's basically the ideological make up of the people behind this.

But I see that talking about the terror attack in the UK is Verboten...

Edited by Kenneth

Okay I changed it again - I don't see how referring to them is a "third party insult" since that's basically the ideological make up of the people behind this.

But I see that talking about the terror attack in the UK is Verboten...

I see that. Pretty hard to figure .... :huh:

It's back. If I get banned, bye bye. :)

The title of the thread was changed because...?

.... it was in violation of the forum rules and guidelines concerning trolling, flaming and third-party insults. If this is not obvious nor self-evident to you, then I encourage you to review the forum rules and guidelines before you participate further in this forum.

The title of this discussion has been changed to Petition to change the name of "Victoria Day" so that it may accurately reflect the subject matter.

.... it was in violation of the forum rules and guidelines concerning trolling, flaming and third-party insults. If this is not obvious nor self-evident to you, then I encourage you to review the forum rules and guidelines before you participate further in this forum.

The title of this discussion has been changed to Petition to change the name of "Victoria Day" so that it may accurately reflect the subject matter.

Just a suggestion: I was looking for the forum rules the other day, and it took me 5 minutes to find them. I'd suggest putting the rules on the top banner so everyone can see the rules link on every page they're on, ie: next to the "open quick navigation" button or before the search bar etc.

As long as I get my day off they call it Basil Fawlty day if they want.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/05/19/victoria-day-rename.html

Quoted language: "Author Margaret Atwood, Green Party leader Elizabeth May and actor Gordon Pinsent are among those behind an online petition to rename the public holiday, which is celebrated on Monday, as 'Victoria and First Peoples Day'."

As long as I get my day off they call it Basil Fawlty day if they want.

No sense of history or honor (not "honour") here? What is wrong? Is there no pride?

Many of these people dont consider themselves to be Canadian, yet one of innumerable ways in which Canada has decided to acknowledge them - despite repeated accusations that they are ignored - is through National Aboriginal Day - not a holiday, but then again why should we have a "holiday" to 'celebrate' any ethnic group?

http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100013248/1100100013249

There are 450,000 people in this country who are Welsh or have Welsh ancestry - should there be a holiday to recognize them, too?

Rather than a holiday, I would propose that a day be set aside where schools educate people about First Nations and their problems. In the U.S. I believe the same should happen for Veterans (same as Remembrance) Day, Columbus Day (same date as your Thanksgiving) and Martin Luther King Day. I do not believe in yet another paid day off for unionized public servants.

Do you mean "Hallmark Bonanza Day"? I'm a happily married and proud father of two and I'd get rid of Father's Day in a heartbeat. Edited by jbg

No sense of history or honor (not "honour") here? What is wrong? Is there no pride?

It would be honour, for me. I don't celebrate any other royal birthdays, so I simply don't care whether or not my holiday is named after Queen Victoria. I also have no objection to it being named after Queen Victoria.

Actually, you do: The same date as Victoria Day is also the official birthday of the reigning monarch; it's a two-for-one.

Every year it is? I doubt that Elizabeth's birthday is always the third Monday of May.

Every year it is? I doubt that Elizabeth's birthday is always the third Monday of May.

I said official birthday. Her real birthday is 21 April, but the official one is the Monday before 24 May in Canada, sometime in June in the UK, the second Monday in June in Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, and Australia, and the first Monday in June in New Zelaand.

[ed.: c/e]

Edited by g_bambino

I said official birthday. Her real birthday is 21 April, but the official one is the Monday before 24 May in Canada, sometime in June in the UK, the second Monday in June in Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, and Australia, and the first Monday in June in New Zelaand.

[ed.: c/e]

Whose? QE II or Victoria?