Tory MP's won't mail attack flyers

Trudeau ads: More Tory MP's say they won't mail out attack pamphlets

OTTAWA - A growing number of Conservative MPs say they won't mail their constituents the party's latest attack on Justin Trudeau,saying the negative,taxpayer-funded pamphlet is just not their style. Tories received a sample of the flyer about the Liberal leader last week,designed by the party's parliamentary research group. It matches recent television spots about Trudeau that say he lacks the experience and judgment to govern. Unlike the TV ads,the mailout (called a "ten-percenter") is funded by the taxpayer through House of Commons budgets.

Several Conservatives from across the country said Tuesday they won't use it. "I haven't sent out an attack ten-percenter for over four years," said Edmonton Tory MP Laurie Hawn. "It's just not my style." "I don't feel it's appropriate for me to do it," said Joe Daniel,a Toronto Conservative MP. Some MPs told The Canadian Press they've been hearing complaints from constituents on the issue.

Said Alberta MP Kevin Sorenson: "I don't use that type of householder. I haven't heard from anyone who's going to either." Fellow Albertan Mike Lake said he rarely sends out the flyers, and when he does it's for a practical purpose. "I generally use them for things like advertising our pancake breakfast ...

It warms my heart to see honour among Conservatives.

:)

Edited by jacee

Yet someone posted the recording of Mitt Romney, out of context, talking about 47% of voters at a private meeting changes an election.

If Trudeau Jnr wants to get involved in politics, quotes taken out of context, then he should live with it. Opponents have every reason to post his comments/performance online.

I am merely surprised by the naivety of Trudeau Jnr. (I thought that he was savier than Romney Jnr.)

Edited by August1991

Yet someone posted the recording of Mitt Romney, out of context, talking about 47% of voters at a private meeting changes an election.

As I recall, it wasn't any better in context.

If Trudeau Jnr wants to get involved in politics, quotes taken out of context, then he should live with it. Opponents have every reason to post his comments/performance online.

I am merely surprised by the naivety of Trudeau Jnr. (I thought that he was savier than Romney Jnr.)

Well we haven't received it from Gazebo Tony yet, I wonder if he is beginning to smarten up

I think it's to go out in June. Keep us posted.

In fact I'd like to see a riding by riding report.

I also want to know if they go to all constituents, or just Tory supporters.

As I recall, it wasn't any better in context.

There's nothing out of context about the quotes of Justin on his opinions of Quebec vs. the rest of Canada. He's said the same things many times in many ways, it is exactly what he said and meant.

There's nothing out of context about the quotes of Justin on his opinions of Quebec vs. the rest of Canada. He's said the same things many times in many ways, it is exactly what he said and meant.

But Harper's firewall Alberta comment is what?

You're wrong. "Out of context" means that you are likely to misinterpret what he meant by hearing the quote without its surrounding context. Perhaps you're thinking of Obama's "you didn't build that" line from the previous election, which was the mother of all out-of-context political quotes (at least until the recent CPC attack ad). Romney's 47% speech was delivered in full context and he meant every word he said.

The Tories may have gotten to Dion and Iggy but its a different ball with Justin and more Canadians are behind him than the other two and I'm not saying he's going to win the election in 2015. I think Harper is the kind guy that doesn't like losing and since he just celebrated his 54 birthday, I think if it looks like one of the other leaders is going to win, he'll say he retiring from politics before the election.

The Tories may have gotten to Dion and Iggy but its a different ball with Justin and more Canadians are behind him than the other two and I'm not saying he's going to win the election in 2015. I think Harper is the kind guy that doesn't like losing and since he just celebrated his 54 birthday, I think if it looks like one of the other leaders is going to win, he'll say he retiring from politics before the election.

I think you're right.

Then why didn't the Tories use one of the quotes from those instances? Are they just inept? Please, do elaborate.

Wow, Harper's backbenchers are defying him. I thought that they were forced to send out these attack advertisements. I know Harper has his MPs on a pretty tight leash and they are told what to think, what to say, and I assumed what to do as well.

Defying him? This is simply another example of how Steve Harper does not WIP his party. If he has such a "tight leash", well please answer me as to why he was open in his ministers in question period? Allowing them to raise motions regarding Abortion and more EVEN when he said it would be a non starter. He is the ONLY party leader to allow such open speaking and debate. You may consider it "defying" but the rational mind sees this as an open and un-bridalled party. Thomas Mulcair and the former Liberl leader were FAR more controlling.

You thought they were "Forced" to submit these flyers? You must be joking...

Wow, Harper's backbenchers are defying him. I thought that they were forced to send out these attack advertisements. I know Harper has his MPs on a pretty tight leash and they are told what to think, what to say, and I assumed what to do as well.

He can only force them up to the point where their constituents speak up, and they are now.

MP's are supposed to represent their constituents, not just take orders from Harper and his zealot political staff - aka 'the boys in short pants'.

Mine too, no mail our so far and letters in our paper objecting to the attack adds, will be interesting to find out what Mr. Clement will do. He certainly never showed up in Huntsville when they were hit by the disasterous floods. But then he has lots of money for that stupid G8 thing.

I don't understand... Isn't Harper supposed to control EVERYTHING? I was under the impression he had a "tight fist" and ruled all decisions when it came to items as such. I was looking forward to a mailer actually from Rait

....., will be interesting to find out what Mr. Clement will do. He certainly never showed up in Huntsville when they were hit by the disasterous floods. But then he has lots of money for that stupid G8 thing.

Margrace , I am no fan of Tony's in any way shape or form , but to BS about the guy is unfair and is an outright untruth.

When you say 'our paper' , I will assume you mean the Forester or the Examiner , maybe you can pull the May 1st paper, who is that standing beside MAyor Doughty ?

I don't understand... Isn't Harper supposed to control EVERYTHING? I was under the impression he had a "tight fist" and ruled all decisions when it came to items as such. I was looking forward to a mailer actually from Rait

More BS from the left. They seem to foget that if this happened in chretiens gov, those people would have been replaced by now.

Just want to echo the thoughts here - Harper is probably one of the least controlling leaders in recent history. There is no way this kind of dissent would have been tolerated with Chretien.

It's not clear if these pamphlets will help or hurt the CPC. Interesting to see the refusal to send them.