Thread bans

TheNewTeddy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean, thread bans?

I think he means blocking a user's access to a particular forum from which he/she been causing trouble in for an extended period of time. The user would still have access to other forums, but not the one he/she wants.

It would be something that could be used more often for minor infractions than a full blown suspension.

Edited by Sleipnir

Yes, Certain users could be banned from certain threads.

It could be as simple as the thread starter asking that certain users not partake for certain reasons (IE people who have been known to turn topics on issue ____ into flame wars, could be asked by a threat starter on that topic to not partake) to being banned from all threads on that topic, to having it be a technical ban (not just someone asking, but the forum forcing the issue)

I think we could actually civilly discuss issues like Israel or Global Warming if certain people were thread-banned.

Guest American Woman

Lol as if Greg would give members the ability to ban each other from certain threads rolleyes1.gif

Agreed. I don't see it happening - I'm just agreeing that that's what's being asked.

This will "promote intelligent, honest and responsible discussion." by prohibiting people from just repeating the same tied old arguments over and over.

It will allow people to enforce the rule of "If you are not bringing anything new to the argument, then do not say anything at all."

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I think he means blocking a user's access to a particular forum from which he/she been causing trouble in for an extended period of time. The user would still have access to other forums, but not the one he/she wants.

It would be something that could be used more often for minor infractions than a full blown suspension.

Then you would have those posters simply take their beef to another thread with a similar topic. It's happened before.

• Forum Admin

Sorry, I'm not even sure we can restrict based by thread. My forum section, yes; but not by an individual thread.

However, I will not be implementing anything like this in the future. I've considered making a VIP section for senior forum members who have arisen to a certain post count; but I'm hesitant as just because a member posts a lot, does not mean the overall quality of those posts are high.

My advice is to ignore those who you feel are not engaged in intelligent, honest and responsible discussions.

I've considered making a VIP section for senior forum members who have arisen to a certain post count;

I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that I love that idea !

In any case, I do like the idea that posting here for a long time ( or perhaps new posters who contribute a lot ) could be rewarded somehow. Maybe a subset of posters could be permitted to engage in a round table.

I`m doing what is called "you should"ing... though. :)

In any case, I do like the idea that posting here for a long time ( or perhaps new posters who contribute a lot ) could be rewarded somehow. Maybe a subset of posters could be permitted to engage in a round table.

I`m doing what is called "you should"ing... though. smile.png

Once you start a separate section for these 'vip' members, then you have a possibility that they won't participate in the regular threads/sections. It's the main reason I don't use the chat function on this site.

Once you start a separate section for these 'vip' members, then you have a possibility that they won't participate in the regular threads/sections. It's the main reason I don't use the chat function on this site.

No - just the odd thread or something... a one-time round table every once in awhile.

How about you have a "live debate", in which a small group of members debate a topic in the chat room. Only the group members are able to post, but anyone else can watch the debate. It can be moderated by another member, too. Specific topics and participants could be chosen beforehand, then a specific date/ time is set for the debate to take place.

Guest American Woman

Why? What would be the purpose? I think it goes without saying that some don't have as much free time to post as others, so why "reward" those who do at others' exclusion? I don't think that would encourage new posters or make them feel particularly welcome - I think it would come across more as a 'private' or 'elitist' board.