Thread bans

TheNewTeddy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with MH. That would be elitist and awesome.

It might help to make MLW more of a thing - to separate it from other forums. And it would be fun.

Maybe invite top posters of all time, and top posters for the week to a single forum with a topic of the week - such as they do on the Sunday morning news shows.

No - just the odd thread or something... a one-time round table every once in awhile.

Hmm, that would be an interesting proposal. I would hope those threads are moderated more than others. Would not want those to turn into a sh!tshow, as many other threads have. Deliberate trolling and derailment a few pages in getting off topic. General asshattery. You know what I am talking about.

Why? What would be the purpose? I think it goes without saying that some don't have as much free time to post as others, so why "reward" those who do at others' exclusion? I don't think that would encourage new posters or make them feel particularly welcome - I think it would come across more as a 'private' or 'elitist' board.

I kind of feel the same here. Because even some of the members who have a few thousand posts and have been here for some time should not participate in this type of debate. Some of the new members might be more civil and post with respect and not derail the thread.

We have people posting in threads just for the sake of posting which do not contribute to the debate/conversation in any way, in fact it detracts from the debate when these tangents are entertained.

• Forum Admin

Ok, what if we had a VIP section that only allowed posters to contribute under their REAL names. Verifiable via a Facebook account or some other method i choose (the how this is done isn't really important).

It would also be understand that the section is only for serious on-topic discussions and any off-topic or bad behaviour would result in removal. However, if the users used their real names, i doubt anyone would go over the line... However, I would be available to moderate and ensure the topic stays FOCUSED!

Of course any participant involved would be able to register under two accounts (which is currently agains that rules), so their real names and their forum handles would not be connected in any manner.

If we did this, I might be able to convince some non members (say, an MP or journalist; someone similar) to join in on the discussions.

Remember, +100K unique visitors visit this website a month (generating +500K unique visits) - this could be a great way to boost someone's national profile, while also hopefully generating high quality debate/discussions.

Guest American Woman

I would never give my real full name to anyone on a forum again, though I'm sure everyone doesn't feel that way. I just feel as if I have to point out that there are some people on forums who are vindictive and without ethics, and unfortunately, I learned this the hard way. Furthermore, how does a FB account verify who a person is? It's quite simple to set up a fake FB account.

I would never give my real full name to anyone on a forum again, though I'm sure everyone doesn't feel that way. I just feel as if I have to point out that there are some people on forums who are vindictive and without ethics, and unfortunately, I learned this the hard way. Furthermore, how does a FB account verify who a person is? It's quite simple to set up a fake FB account.

I completely agree with you here. I don't want to give my real name out, as I prefer the anonymity to a degree, which also provides me with some privacy. If your real name is out there, well, you can find out anything about that person. Cyberstalking can lead to real life stalking. However between that and facebook and a youtube account, you'd be surprised what one can dig up on you. Because some of us don't even use Facebook (like me) and never will knowing how they 'value' your privacy and information (aka selling it to other entities).

I would propose maybe that those wanting to get involved let Greg know of their real name but continue to use their nick/handle from the site. That way he can vet those people if need be without everyone else knowing those details about you.

Totally agree, I can attest to that. I've had some experience with this issue and would never use my real name on a public page. In fact, even on FB I use my maiden name, Anyone who knows me well enough, knows the name.

That's assuming that everyone gives Greg their real name - and who besides Greg would be able to access that information?

If real names are not needed, we should just look at how people carry themselves from threads past in order to see if they would be a good fit for this proposed idea. With that alone I could have just disqualified myself.

30 years ago, pretty much everybody's name and address was in the white pages.

Today, it seems that the attitude is, paradoxically:

" But who's gonna stop that burglar from breaking into my house when he lives that far away"

A nod to Bob Mould....

Except today we have technology and everything on the Internet archived and searchable. 30 years ago, you actually had to go out of your way to obtain some of this information, it can now all be done from a smartphone.

I was on another board where a poster named Uncle Joe found out my real name and information and was - I felt - threatening me with releasing that information. So I just posted it.

Could have just threatened you in a way in order for you to post your information. That person could have been bluffing.

Guest American Woman
I was on another board where a poster named Uncle Joe found out my real name and information and was - I felt - threatening me with releasing that information. So I just posted it.

I can't help but notice that you aren't posting under your real name here - nor have you posted it.

I can't help but notice that you aren't posting under your real name here - nor have you posted it.

I would post on here under my real name if Greg put forward the plan he outlined. I have done and will give out my real name and contacts to people who message me privately if they want to send me something or meet up.

Ok, what if we had a VIP section that only allowed posters to contribute under their REAL names. Verifiable via a Facebook account or some other method i choose (the how this is done isn't really important).

It would also be understand that the section is only for serious on-topic discussions and any off-topic or bad behaviour would result in removal. However, if the users used their real names, i doubt anyone would go over the line...

I don't see how it can be guarantee that their names would be their real birth names; Bob Smith, Jennifer McJenna, Fred Souplous, Henry McArmstrong, etc

Remember, +100K unique visitors visit this website a month (generating +500K unique visits)

Does those 'unique visitors' include google, StiniSamclene and other scanners?

Edited by Sleipnir

Guest American Woman
I would post on here under my real name if Greg put forward the plan he outlined. I have done and will give out my real name and contacts to people who message me privately if they want to send me something or meet up.

Really. So you "meet up" with people from forums now? dry.png

My point is, if it's no big deal to give out your real name, why is your blog even under "Michael Hardner?" - not to mention your "Talk Radio" show. I trust there's a reason you aren't freely giving it out.

It would also be understand that the section is only for serious on-topic discussions and any off-topic or bad behaviour would result in removal. However, if the users used their real names, i doubt anyone would go over the line... However, I would be available to moderate and ensure the topic stays FOCUSED!

Of course any participant involved would be able to register under two accounts (which is currently agains that rules), so their real names and their forum handles would not be connected in any manner.

If we did this, I might be able to convince some non members (say, an MP or journalist; someone similar) to join in on the discussions.

Remember, +100K unique visitors visit this website a month (generating +500K unique visits) - this could be a great way to boost someone's national profile, while also hopefully generating high quality debate/discussions.

First, unless you require people to send in government issued photo ID or something, there is no guarantee they are using a real name. It's very easy to create additional facebook accounts, etc.

Second, for those not willing to lie about their identity, there are very real privacy issues associated with using real names on a forum like this. I for one would not participate under any circumstance.

Third, I don't think it's a good idea since it would give the impression that "real debate" is to be had in the elite section while the normal part of the forum is just for mindless posts and trolling.

Can't message you privately. I've tried in the past. Says you're not configured to receive PMs. Not that I want your real name and contact information. I'm just saying. You can't be messaged privately.

Edited by cybercoma