Native chief over 20 days in hunger strike to protest Budget Bill

Eyrie

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/theresa-spence-unsatisfied-with-meeting-between-harper-chiefs/article7562260/

She must really be upset that NO ONE! takes her seriously anymore.

Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence says she plans to continue her hunger strike until there is a meeting between Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the Governor-General and first nations leaders.

In an interview Sunday morning with CTV’s Question Period, Ms. Spence said she is unsatisfied with the meeting that took place earlier this month between Mr. Harper and some chiefs, calling it a “working group” when native groups had called for a “nation-to-nation” meeting that would also include Governor-General David Johnston.

She had her shot and she blew it by not showing up to that meeting because the GG wasn't there. I hope the press ignores her now.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUITTER!!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/chief-spence-in-talks-to-end-hunger-strike---for-a-commitment/article7651910/

Theresa Spence, the chief of a remote Ontario first nation who has been on a hunger strike since early December, is in talks to end her protest on Thursday in exchange for continued political pressure from federal and native leaders, sources have told The Globe and Mail.

Ms. Spence has indicated she will resume eating solid foods after the National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, Shawn Atleo, and opposition leaders Thomas Mulcair of the New Democrats and Bob Rae of the Liberals agree to press the Harper government to move on an eight-point action plan crafted by the AFN, the sources said.

So as long as other people continue to fight for what she wants, she'll go back to noshing on Poutine? Nice!

It seems that the press meeting scheduled for today at 11:00 had to be cancelled..... It seems that Theressa Spence has had to leave her Ottawa hotel-room and stop her diet and is now in the Hospital on a IV-Drip! (Oxo Cubes?) Again, she has managed to avoid speaking and avoid accountability for her actions..

It seems that the press meeting scheduled for today at 11:00 had to be cancelled..... It seems that Theressa Spence has had to leave her Ottawa hotel-room and stop her diet and is now in the Hospital on a IV-Drip! (Oxo Cubes?) Again, she has managed to avoid speaking and avoid accountability for her actions..

I expect at least one-two months recovery time before she'll be able to take questions. Even then, a new excuse will pop-up. This will end in a victory for her.

I wonder how her band is going to treat her when she does get home. Most of the pressure for her to quit was from them saying "Come back now or lose your job!". That really sounds like they have her back! tongue.png

As long as the trough is full and the gravy train flows...nothing at all will happen. I live in this culture...I figured out how it works. I pay...everybody else spends.

Thinking about it...this is her EXIT strategy.... Only one way off of her little retreat island and that was by boat.... This Hospital has a back door.. Im sure she will have her driver and Cadillac Escalade running right by it..

The letters between Ms. Spence and the Govenror General have been published by CTV. One thing the media never mentioned (though, perhaps it wasn't revealed before now) was that Spence actually chided Johnston for not recognising the issues she raised as being "intolerable violations of the... constitution" and giving them "appropriate deference"... Deference! She then proceeded to tell the Governor General how to do his job better; i.e. invoke the reserve powers to refuse Royal Assent to the budget. Though, she can't spell "honour" or use English grammar correctly.

What a woman!