Justin remind Albertans why they don't vote Liberal

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the guy who wanted to "build firewalls around alberta" became the PM...and the guy that said "let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark" got the Order of canada....so does it matter much? not really the liberals don't expect any seats in alberta or many from western canada for that matter....

and the guy who wanted to "build firewalls around alberta" became the PM...and the guy that said "let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark" got the Order of canada....so does it matter much? not really the liberals don't expect any seats in alberta or many from western canada for that matter....

Theyll get some out here in BC. Not fair to lump us in with the bible belt to the east of us!

Edited by dre

I don't understand why after Justin saying this over 2-3 years old, why the Tories are making a big deal about now? Of course, politics!, They can't use the gun registery to get their supporters for votes and donations so they take opposition MP's comments and use them against them. Are the Tories that nervous about the NDP leader and Justin getting to be leader, it looks that way. I'm not saying what Justin said is right , but he also has said it was taken out context.

Yes because in order for the Liberals to win they need to move beyond their traditional fortresses. This type of Quebec arrogance is off putting to the ROC.

I don't understand why after Justin saying this over 2-3 years old, why the Tories are making a big deal about now? Of course, politics!, They can't use the gun registery to get their supporters for votes and donations so they take opposition MP's comments and use them against them. Are the Tories that nervous about the NDP leader and Justin getting to be leader, it looks that way. I'm not saying what Justin said is right , but he also has said it was taken out context.

Yeah because if there was a quote from the PM saying that Canada is nothing without Alberta and the rest of the country owes them for paying all the bills, the Star and the CBC wouldn't go apeshit.

I don't understand why after Justin saying this over 2-3 years old, why the Tories are making a big deal about now? Of course, politics!,... I'm not saying what Justin said is right , but he also has said it was taken out context.

Really, for somebody with no ideas and nothing to bank on except his pretty face - there is nothing but politics for us to discuss here. He seems to be pretty bad at it thus far. I remember the 90s when the Liberals could easily trip up the Reform and laugh all the way to their next majority government. Now the Tories are doing it.

The Liberals` traditional turf is exactly what people need now - middle of the road balancing of [perceived] sound fiscal policy with people-focused social policy and programs. Instead of banking on that they are trying for a quick win with this young princely inheritor.

Trudeau should fail if our system works at all. And if he does that would make three in a row.

And how old is harper's fire wall comment that is used many times here. The libs have not learned nothing the last few years. Divide canada ,give all the power to quebec, just like the good old days. Edited by PIK

Theyll get some out here in BC. Not fair to lump us in with the bible belt to the east of us!

sorry you're right the two provinces are not the same...

this trudeau quote was brought up for the calgary by-election which would be extremely damaging should the cpc lose but not damaging for the liberals should they lose since they weren't expecting to win it anyway... it's like Mulcair and his 'dutch disease" albertans and cpc can attack the comment all they want it doesn't affect the NDP as it doesn't see itself gaining any seats in Alberta and the voters in the lone seat it does have in Edmonton already agree with him...

They gave a bumper sticker the Order of Canada?

sorry you're right the two provinces are not the same...

this trudeau quote was brought up for the calgary by-election which would be extremely damaging should the cpc lose but not damaging for the liberals should they lose since they weren't expecting to win it anyway... it's like Mulcair and his 'dutch disease" albertans and cpc can attack the comment all they want it doesn't affect the NDP as it doesn't see itself gaining any seats in Alberta and the voters in the lone seat it does have in Edmonton already agree with him...

So it's OK to attack Alberta because they vote CPC anyway?The thing that I find ridiculous about the Trudeau comment is that he said Canada belongs to Quebec and Canada only does well when run by a Quebecer. As an someone from Ontario, I find that more offensive. Afterall Harper was born in Toronto.

So it's OK to attack Alberta because they vote CPC anyway?The thing that I find ridiculous about the Trudeau comment is that he said Canada belongs to Quebec and Canada only does well when run by a Quebecer. As an someone from Ontario, I find that more offensive. Afterall Harper was born in Toronto.

he only said what many people think...albertans think they can run canada better than anyone else, the difference being they don't say it publicly it's naive to think the cpc doesn't have an alberta/west agenda...albertan voting record shows they only care about themselves so why should other national parties care what albertans think...now if we had a PR system electing liberals, ndp then the picture changes the other political parties have an interest in what albertans have to say...

i'm not a liberal voter a trudeau supporter or from quebec and I'm not offended by trudeau's comments it's a non issue with me, political not a wise to thing to say by him but no worse than said by many others from all parties, it'll fade away over time...

Edited by wyly

There were more than a couple of people that showed up in Edmonton. Perhaps more to the point is that this is a leadership race for the Liberal Party of Canada. This is not a general election where anything meaningful is taking place, This is just the media hype promoting partisan political participation in the democratic process. As Mr. Harder says this is nothing but politics.

I am an Albertan, and I support Justin in his quest for leadership. I want to see what he can do. I have seen what Harper has done. The future is unknown but I prefer to think that the country could do worse than having Steve and Justin duke it out over the months to come before the next election. This is the fight the nation needs to be front and centre. The diverging ideologies between the left and the right create a political hole in the middle. That middle ground is where Justin's father sought to create the "Just Society". Oddly enough those concepts are becoming more relevant the older they become. That probably indicates the truth in the principles as conceived by its author. The idea of a nation moving forward in a manner such as....

" No one in the society should be entitled to superfluous or luxury goods until the essentials of life are made available to everyone. At first glance, that distribution would appear to [exist] in Canada. Thanks to our abundant natural wealth and to the techniques of the industrial era, it no longer seems necessary to trample on one another in the scramble for riches. Consequently, most people take it for granted that every Canadian is assured a reasonable standard of living. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The Just Society will be one in which all of our people will have the means and the motivation to participate. The Just Society will be one in which personal and political freedom will be more securely ensured than it has ever been in the past. The Just Society will be one in which the rights of minorities will be safe from the whims of intolerant majorities. The Just Society will one in which those regions and groups which have not fully shared in the country’s affluence will be given a better opportunity. The Just Society will be one where such urban problems as housing and pollution will be attacked through the application of new knowledge and new techniques. The Just Society will be one in which our Indian and Inuit population will be encouraged to assume the full rights of citizenship through policies which will give them both greater responsibility for their own future and more meaningful equality of opportunity. The Just Society will be a united Canada, united because all of its citizens will be actively involved in the development of a country where equality of opportunity is ensured and individuals are permitted to fulfill themselves in the fashion they judge best……On the never-ending road to perfect justice we will, in other words, succeed in creating the most humane and compassionate society.

Pierre Elliott Trudeau, as cited in The Essential Trudeau, ed. Ron Graham. (pp.16 – 20)."

It seems to me that the people of Canada want to move forward. What is needed is the political vision of a road map to prosperity. We as a people have yet to define to ourselves what that really means. The Just Society concept is worth looking into at least once, especially for the citizens of this nation.

It seems to me that the people of Canada want to move forward. What is needed is the political vision of a road map to prosperity. We as a people have yet to define to ourselves what that really means. The Just Society concept is worth looking into at least once, especially for the citizens of this nation.

because it was a quote bearing the name trudeau name no red neck albertan would even read it, these people aren't dealing from a full deck...

because it was a quote bearing the name trudeau name no red neck albertan would even read it, these people aren't dealing from a full deck...

And yet here you are, typing on a superfluous or luxury good while many Canadians still suffer in poverty. Either Trudeau was talking out of his nether regions just back from a visit with Fidel, or...

No, there is no or.

Libs ran the country for many decades. The power was in quebec and ONT abd now both those provinces have become embaressments and the power has shifted west. So trudeau is saying to quebec , put me in and you will run the couintry like the good old days.At one time nothing got done in canada without quebec approval. And it must be killing the libs , that they are not in power and have no say in anything, that they will do anything to get it back. But since Justin's wife is albertan ,I wonder what her family thinks of those remarks.

I love this headline from that Liberal Rag aka The National Post:

Majority numbers for Trudeau in yet another poll may explain why anti-Alberta interview surfaced

This was the funniest part:

The Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey suggests the Liberal leadership front-runner’s popularity is not the fleeting celebrity phenomenon that the skeptics had assumed.

It’s actually increasing and has the potential to siphon off votes from all parties, including the Tories.

[...]

Forty-two per cent of respondents said they’d be certain or likely to vote Liberal in the next election if Trudeau was at the helm — enough to form a comfortable Liberal majority government. That’s up from 36% in September and 33% in June. The poll suggests Trudeau’s appeal is strongest in Atlantic Canada, where 60% said they’d vote Liberal under his leadership, Quebec (48%), British Columbia (43%) and Ontario (41%).

But the party’s fortunes would improve markedly even in the Conservative stronghold of Alberta (30%) and Manitoba and Saskatchewan (32%).

Trudeau’s appeal was consistent across urban and rural areas and among voters of all age groups.

A Trudeau-led Liberal party would bleed support from all rival parties, according to the poll. Forty-eight per cent of current New Democrat supporters said they’d vote Liberal with Trudeau at the helm, 44% of Greens, 21% of Conservatives and 22% of Bloc Quebecois supporters.

laugh.pnglaugh.png

biggrin.png

Edited by BC_chick