NDP Proposing 1% Tax Hike

The NDP are suggesting a 1% value added tax but prior to the last election the NDP promised that its platform for re-election would be implemented without any tax increases. It continues to assert that this promise is being kept.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2012/11/13/20354106.html

They have however, put forward a discussion paper prepared by Olivia Chow’s office through a Commons committee which would allow municipalities to impose a 1% value-added sales tax.

Olivia Chow has been front and centre in Toronto recently talking about Toronto and infrastructure so I expect Olivia Chow to take a run at the Toronto Mayor’s office in 2014. Also, if she quits as an MP before the next election she stands to benefit, pension wise.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/flaherty-rejects-demands-pension-changes-hived-off-budget-144453292.html

Current members of Parliament could easily escape pension changes announced Thursday that will see MPs pay a lot more into their pensions and wait longer to collect them.

All they have to do is not run in the next election, set for 2015.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a tax increase has been discussed by urban regions long before and it's non-partisan driven....cities are being short changed by provincial governments catering to rural ridings...I don't like taxes no one does not even the ndp but they're a necessity required to run our society and cities require more funds than they are getting for massive infrasturcture projects and general running of those cities...the suggested increase has been talked about in calgary for a number of years and it has nothing to do with the local ndp...

The NDP are suggesting a 1% value added tax but prior to the last election the NDP promised that its platform for re-election would be implemented without any tax increases. It continues to assert that this promise is being kept.

You better check your source more carefully, they're not suggesting it but floating/throwing the idea around.

You better check your source more carefully, they're not suggesting it but floating/throwing the idea around.

Assaid: It is a proposal in a discussion paper prepared by her office and put before MPs on a House of Commons committee studying Canada’s infrastructure deficit which would allow municipalities to impose a 1% value-added sales tax.

This is very fitting...The NDP treasury board critic Mathieu Ravignat, actually ran as a candidate for the Communist Party of Canada....

The NDP proposed an ADDED tax ($75 Dollar LEVY) on every Ipod sold in Canada

Lets not forget about that $21,000,000,000.00 Carbon Tax!

Brian Topp STILL talks about a SALES tax increase!

Tax the "Rich"? The NDP considers a household income of $90K "Rich"...

The NDP have continued to ruin everything and anything they touch with Taxes and Spending... This 1% is just the silver lining to thier communist style of government....

It's not a terrible idea. Some municipalities like Calgary and Toronto do not have the fiscal capacity to manage their cities effectively. Moreover, the provinces are reluctant to spend multiple millions on projects in particular cities (ie, subways in Toronto) and that's not to speak of the upkeep on increasingly complex and expensive infrastructure. Property taxes are no longer fully effective. It's definitely worth a serious discussion.

This is very fitting...The NDP treasury board critic Mathieu Ravignat, actually ran as a candidate for the Communist Party of Canada....

The NDP proposed an ADDED tax ($75 Dollar LEVY) on every Ipod sold in Canada

Lets not forget about that $21,000,000,000.00 Carbon Tax!

Brian Topp STILL talks about a SALES tax increase!

Tax the "Rich"? The NDP considers a household income of $90K "Rich"...

The NDP have continued to ruin everything and anything they touch with Taxes and Spending... This 1% is just the silver lining to thier communist style of government....

You live in crazy land.

If Toronto needs more money for infrastructure then they can raise their property taxes because they are lower than the rest of the GTA, probably lower than most other Ontario areas.

Check out your assessment on the Toronto City website, just plug in your MPAC evaluation. I did, Toronto was about $1,000.00 less than what I pay about 1.20 mins. east of Toronto.

Because of the relatively lower taxation of Toronto properties, the cities receives subsidies from the Ontario gov’t for transit and so on. So, taxpayers in other places with no TTC are on the hook for transit facilities in Toronto.

The NDP is wrong to propose this. M. Ravignat did run for Comm. Party in 1997, and the NDP does have a low threshold for their definition of rich.

It's not a terrible idea. Some municipalities like Calgary and Toronto do not have the fiscal capacity to manage their cities effectively. Moreover, the provinces are reluctant to spend multiple millions on projects in particular cities (ie, subways in Toronto) and that's not to speak of the upkeep on increasingly complex and expensive infrastructure. Property taxes are no longer fully effective. It's definitely worth a serious discussion.

Raising taxes during a fragile economy is an absolutely terrible idea.

If Toronto needs more money for infrastructure then they can raise their property taxes because they are lower than the rest of the GTA, probably lower than most other Ontario areas.

Check out your assessment on the Toronto City website, just plug in your MPAC evaluation. I did, Toronto was about $1,000.00 less than what I pay about 1.20 mins. east of Toronto.

Because of the relatively lower taxation of Toronto properties, the cities receives subsidies from the Ontario gov’t for transit and so on. So, taxpayers in other places with no TTC are on the hook for transit facilities in Toronto.

The NDP is wrong to propose this. M. Ravignat did run for Comm. Party in 1997, and the NDP does have a low threshold for their definition of rich.

So you aren't against raising taxes per se, just against paying more taxes yourself. unsure.png

As to the bold, the TTC receives only a marginal amount of funding from the province, mostly on an ad hoc basis. The vast majority of its operating costs are paid for by users at the farebox.

Given the importance of Toronto to the economy of the entire province, I think people from outside the city still have an interest in ensuring it can be as productive as possible.

calgary doesn't have party politics in the city council, the idea of a 1% tax is not an ndp issue...the city has need of at least two new rail lines which will cost a couple of billion, discussions have begun on upgrading an existing central roadway projected cost 1 billion in todays dollars and then there is an endless ongoing negotiating for completion of the ring road which will cost who knows how much...and we could probably use another hospital(another billion) as the city still hasn't recovered from ralph kliens destruction of the healthcare infrastructure....and where is the money going to come from, the city needs more revenue and the province isn't supplying...saying it be generated by rising local property taxes isn't fair the entire rural region surrounding calgary uses it's infrastructure, calgary is the economic heartbeat of the entire province...

Sure they can, but this proposal is about Nov. 1, levying a sales tax as an alternative to boosting property taxes.

That would be a bonus for cities with commercial centres/tourist attractions.

It also makes a bit of sense to help absorb the cost of maintaining infrastructure for out of town guests.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Can't municipalities increase property tax?

sure but how do you tax people that don't live in the cities but use the cities infrastructure...we have people here who live in a one hour driving radius who work here but pay no property taxes here, their communities benefit from their income generated in our city but they contribute nothing...that's a sweet deal for them, work in calgary use it's services but pay less taxes in a rural community...

No need for the tax.. the money should just come from the feds. You could build a world class subway in Toronto by cutting other federal spending by 0.5% for two years. Freeze fed department budgets for two years and there you go.

It can be done easily, but the electorate has prioritized deficit reduction over infrastructure spending for now.

We need more discussion (in media and among politicians) of insufficient infrastructure so that it becomes a hot-button political issue next election. Then the electorate can vote on whether to pay for new infrastructure by raising taxes or cutting bankable sick days and defined benefit pension obligations to bureaucrats. I know who I'll be voting for.

Edited by CPCFTW

sure but how do you tax people that don't live in the cities but use the cities infrastructure...we have people here who live in a one hour driving radius who work here but pay no property taxes here, their communities benefit from their income generated in our city but they contribute nothing...that's a sweet deal for them, work in calgary use it's services but pay less taxes in a rural community...

I did agree with it in the my other post for that reason.

In Toronto, the opposite is true. They pay a much lower level of property tax.

We need more discussion (in media and among politicians) of insufficient infrastructure so that it becomes a hot-button political issue next election. Then the electorate can vote on whether to pay for new infrastructure by raising taxes or cutting bankable sick days and defined benefit pension obligations to bureaucrats. I know who I'll be voting for.

that's looney...calgary alone could use 4-5 billion in infrastructure dollars and you think that can be paid with sick days and clawing back pensions?...rolleyes.gif brilliant math that is cool.png....the wacky right solution to everything is cut someone else's benefits and wages because they obviously don't deserve them...maybe the military could buy new equipment by cutting their sick days and giving up their pensions,,,eeew i see a trend, we pay for pay for HoC renovations by cutting MP pensions... Edited by wyly

I did agree with it in the my other post for that reason.

In Toronto, the opposite is true. They pay a much lower level of property tax.

sure but the same applies there as well, how many people live outside of Toronto but work in toronto or benefit from it's proximity...

a 1% tax at each cities discretion sounds fair to me, and I don't like taxes anymore than anyone else...

sure but the same applies there as well, how many people live outside of Toronto but work in toronto or benefit from it's proximity...

a 1% tax at each cities discretion sounds fair to me, and I don't like taxes anymore than anyone else...

Personally, if I was a commuter I'd just buy my goods outside of the city.