Justin Trudeau Would Take Liberals to a Majority

One of the things that makes Harper such a good leader is that he is able to separate his private life (in which I have absolutely no interest, so long as he breaks no laws) and his public life. He is absolutely the best PM the Canadians could have hoped for during the last decade or so. A good article on the man from today's National Post(CONFG)

http://fullcomment.n...g-things-right/

That pretty well sums it up.....dull but invisibly effective. With all the puffery from the opposition and usual suspects, it's difficult to appreciate how the government is setting the stage for future prosperity. And what a hugely opportunistic future it's shaping up to be. We will most likely weather the global economic storm with a balanced budget - or close to it.....and have trading agreements with major partners just when the economy in those countries will be ramping up.....and of course, they will all be clamoring for energy and resources. Slowly but surely, Harper is bringing the Conservative party to the mushy middle - like the old Pac Man game, gobbling up those voters. Just yesterday, Vic Toews' directive to the RCMP to go back to the drawing board with their shoddy plans to improve inclusiveness for women has likely caught the attention of women voters. Look for more action on the Women's front. It's becoming a bigger and bigger tent. Humorously, many people still refer to Harper as an idealogue. Nothing could be further from the truth - he is a pragmatist......and on the big files, he actually does what he thinks is right for the country. Perfect? Never. Effective? Quite.

Edited by Keepitsimple

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does anyone else experience frequent page freezes when clicking on a NatPost link?

In any case I think Harper's longevity as Prime Minister is probably better explained by a goofy corrupt electoral system.

The Prime Minister’s approval numbers have shot up since a sticky patch in April, largely because he has been out of the country and his government isn’t doing anything in particular to annoy voters.

Sure, whatever gets your mojo going.

Is it just me or does anyone else experience frequent page freezes when clicking on a NatPost link?

In any case I think Harper's longevity as Prime Minister is probably better explained by a goofy corrupt electoral system.

Sure, whatever gets your mojo going.

Someone on this forum, and it might have been SmallC if it wasn't please correct me because I would like to give them the credit, anyway said.

"Canadians don't vote for parties they vote against them"

I would love for a time our country can unit behind a person and an idea instead of uniting behind "throw the bums out!!!!" That isn't how it is though and it hasn't been that way for a long long time.

Yeah that happens to me too.

Happened to me for a long time. Not now though, and I have no idea what I might be doing differently.

It just stopped.

And it wasn't just a page freeze. It was a PC freeze. I couldn't even bring up Task Manager.

Edited by bcsapper

Maybe what we need in our democracy - "government by the people" - is leaders who listen to the ideas of the people instead of doing the bidding of - eg - the Power Corporation.

With corporate power brokers in the driver's seat, we don't have "government by the people".

Paul Desmarais is one of Justin Trudeau's biggest backers...

trudeaus comment on albertans "socio-democratic agenda" was spot on, I'd rather someone more socailly progressive take the lead and quebec generally leads the way in that department..

Quebec is the most racist and openly bigoted society in Canada. Do you consider that progressive?

absolutely, he's just politically more astute than trudeau not saying what he thinks, that ended stockwell days political quest for leadership...check out harpers church and it's twisted values, a moderate sensible person would switch churches but not harper...

Have you similarly checked out the mosques and temples where Muslim, Hindu and Sikh MPs go to inspect their values?

Look, I don't support the Liberals per se and I've certainly not been swayed by Mr. Trudeau yet, but this regurgitating nonsensical Conservative talking points needs to stop. This is no better than saying "Harper just wants to pander to Alberta" then quoting something he said in '96. You're above this kind of junk, I thought.

How is it a 'nonsensical Conservative talking point' to post Trudeau's own words and condemn them?

Look, I don't support the Liberals per se and I've certainly not been swayed by Mr. Trudeau yet, but this regurgitating nonsensical Conservative talking points needs to stop. This is no better than saying "Harper just wants to pander to Alberta" then quoting something he said in '96. You're above this kind of junk, I thought.

In this country you can not be a leader who drives wedges between regions. No no one thinks that leaders should pander to different regions but for to many years the Liberals have played one side of the country against the other to win majorities and the country has been worse off because of them. I am no fan of the Conservatives but it took a strong Conservative party coupled with the NDP filling a gap to kill off the Bloc and unite the ROC. It is quite clear the Liberals want to take us back to the fights of the 80s and 90s and that is unacceptable. This is what they offer instead of a vision of a United Canada. I will take a Conservative government (which is really all the Liberals would be anyway) if the choice is that our the Liberals tearing up our country. They had their place in history but my Canada is better then that my Canada is whole. We need to fight about issues not what the beliefs are of different pockets of this country. We are a stronger country with a weak to dead Liberal Party because all they offer is a West vs East mentality and that helps no one.

Edited by punked

I love that the NDP were able to attract separatist candidates to defeat the Bloc, and then the way they've appealed to Albertans is even better!

I bet you don't love it. The Bloc was a creation of the Liberals and Conservatives it took the NDP to kill it. Of course their are sour grapes from Liberals they won Majority after Majority off of the playing our country and it's people against each other.

Yeah that happens to me too.

Happened to me for a long time. Not now though, and I have no idea what I might be doing differently.

It just stopped.

And it wasn't just a page freeze. It was a PC freeze. I couldn't even bring up Task Manager.

Me as well.

What browser are you all using? I'm using Chrome myself.

rolleyes.gif whoa so naive...cool.png

I think I must be, because I can't see how a law can be passed without being spoken about in Parliament.

It's not semaphore, is it? I was joking about that, but I really don't know whether they use it or not. I never see any of them carrying those little flags around when they are on tv, but that could be what their assistants are for.

Do they need two sets of flags for the whole bilingual thing, or can you speak French with the same flags used for speaking English?

I think I must be, because I can't see how a law can be passed without being spoken about in Parliament.

It's not semaphore, is it? I was joking about that, but I really don't know whether they use it or not. I never see any of them carrying those little flags around when they are on tv, but that could be what their assistants are for.

Do they need two sets of flags for the whole bilingual thing, or can you speak French with the same flags used for speaking English?

Then you just need to read up on how our government works. Basically instead of reading and discussing legislation, on a case by case basis, hundreds or even thousands of new laws are bundled into huge omnibus acts, that are then passed without anyone reading them all. Sure... a few of hot ticket items might get talked about, the vast majority of the legislation within an act does even get read by MPs never mind discussed. And in some cases even the drafting of the bills themselves it outsourced to lobbiests, etc.

Then you just need to read up on how our government works. Basically instead of reading and discussing legislation, on a case by case basis, hundreds or even thousands of new laws are bundled into huge omnibus acts, that are then passed without anyone reading them all. Sure... a few of hot ticket items might get talked about, the vast majority of the legislation within an act does even get read by MPs never mind discussed. And in some cases even the drafting of the bills themselves it outsourced to lobbiests, etc.

there is that or they cut funding, and they'll find other reasons other than the obvious, they disguise it....I used to be part of an sports organization and if we wanted to change something controversial we'd find some other excuse to justify what we were doing rather than the real reason to avoid the controversy...politics really is Machiavellian...

absolutely, he's just politically more astute than trudeau not saying what he thinks, that ended stockwell days political quest for leadership...check out harpers church and it's twisted values, a moderate sensible person would switch churches but not harper...

Just for the record,what are the "twisted values"of Harper's church.

I recently read that it's a myth that Harper is a bible thumper in any way,shape or form.And if indeed he was a bible thumper,why is it that we still have abortion on demand and gay marriage and all the other vitally important stuff to the left?

That's not proof of anything. Harper would have a tremendous fight - perhaps an impossible one - to overturn that legislation.

yup it's being pragmatic, pick the battles you know you can win...harper is aware going after abortions would end the cpc days in government, backbenchers making an issue of it is playing lip service to their base, they all know it won't happen...

How do you know what their values are, do you attend that church? How do you know anything about what Harper's religious beliefs are because he never discusses it. Anything said in that regard is pure speculation.