Why can't Canada be more nationalist?

Mr.Canada

If 100% of people vote, but don't vote based on knowledge of the issues then how is that better ?

This is not a fair statement/comment.

And the reason why I say that is because there are many reasons and issues to vote upon.

What you may consider an unimportant issue,another may rank with greater merit.

In other words 1 vote = 1 opinion.

You are saying that, what you consider an educated opinion = 1 vote. And that someone's opinion whom you consider is not educated = 0 vote.Or a less quality vote?

Not to mention sentence 3 of the Canadian charter clearly stating the right to vote!

WWWTT

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are saying that, what you consider an educated opinion = 1 vote. And that someone's opinion whom you consider is not educated = 0 vote.Or a less quality vote?

Not to mention sentence 3 of the Canadian charter clearly stating the right to vote!

WWWTT

No, I did not use the word 'educated'. I try to use the word 'informed'. Having an opinion on an issue, and knowing the name of the candidate is being informed. Everyone has the right to vote, but we don't need to encourage people to exercise that right above informing themselves. Why should we ?

I ran a polling station in the 1990s where a guy showed up very angry and kept asking the poll captains angrily "which one is Harris ?". He didn't know who the local candidates were, and he didn't know which party belonged to Mike Harris. He had an opinion but didn't even take the time to note which party Harris belonged to.

No, I did not use the word 'educated'. I try to use the word 'informed'. Having an opinion on an issue, and knowing the name of the candidate is being informed. Everyone has the right to vote, but we don't need to encourage people to exercise that right above informing themselves. Why should we ?

I ran a polling station in the 1990s where a guy showed up very angry and kept asking the poll captains angrily "which one is Harris ?". He didn't know who the local candidates were, and he didn't know which party belonged to Mike Harris. He had an opinion but didn't even take the time to note which party Harris belonged to.

or he couldn't read...I've run into a couple who couldn't, and they were young canadians which was very surprising...

ya even educated people can be uninformed...

I used the term "educated opinion",what's the difference from being informed?

From my perspective,both are synonymous.

WWWTT

Ya so what?

Realistically,if we had to completely learn about every single issue,then why would we need to elect a politician to make those decisions on our behalf?

WWWTT

Ya so what?

Realistically,if we had to completely learn about every single issue,then why would we need to elect a politician to make those decisions on our behalf?

WWWTT

many people vote who know nothing of any issue, they're imbeciles...often I hear people discuss candidates, parties or issues and I think "can people really that stupid ?"...yup, there are a lot of them whose most complex thought of the day is whether they should put on their left sock on first or the right...

many people vote who know nothing of any issue, they're imbeciles...often I hear people discuss candidates, parties or issues and I think "can people really that stupid ?"...yup, there are a lot of them whose most complex thought of the day is whether they should put on their left sock on first or the right...

This is not fair to say wyly!

Many different people have their own reasons for voting,or not.

I suspect that you are using this argument to imply that someone who is not educated/informed or literate may not vote as you may?

WWWTT

This is not fair to say wyly!

Many different people have their own reasons for voting,or not.

I suspect that you are using this argument to imply that someone who is not educated/informed or literate may not vote as you may?

WWWTT

nope, there are lots of forum members I disagree with and I think they're wrong but they put thought and consideration into their pov

.but there are others who have absolutely no clue, they vote the way they do just because they do, to them politics is like supporting their favourite sports team loyalty is never questioned...

And the relevance of your observation?

Well the topic is about Canadian patriotism and people are talking about proxies and IP-stuff...

If people want to talk about IP shouldn't they start a new thread instead of hijacking an already existing thread with a totally unrelated topic?

Just my two cents.

Guest Derek L

Well the topic is about Canadian patriotism and people are talking about proxies and IP-stuff...

If people want to talk about IP shouldn't they start a new thread instead of hijacking an already existing thread with a totally unrelated topic?

Just my two cents.

Are you new around here? Every thread "drifts"......

I recall not long ago we took pride in our peace keeping accomplishments that has been shunted to the side by the Harper and the cpc with a campaign to glamorize our warfare past, aggression/killing apparently is so much more glamorous and fun for the right than peaceful pursuits

I think that pride in our peace keeping is a false pride. Canada is not exactly a peaceful nation by any means. We act through the other members of NATO and vice versa.

How are we keeping the peace in Afghanistan?

I recall not long ago we took pride in our peace keeping accomplishments that has been shunted to the side by the Harper and the cpc with a campaign to glamorize our warfare past, aggression/killing apparently is so much more glamorous and fun for the right than peaceful pursuits

That's spot on, we are almost completely out of the peacekeeping business...and that's too bad.

By Ottawa’s count, there are only 42 Canadian military personnel currently serving in seven UN peacekeeping missions. The UN says the count is even lower. Its most recent monthly report, issued at the end of the April, registered only 33 Canadian military personnel in UN missions. Another 130 Canadian police – some from the RCMP, others from provincial and municipal forces – are also serving with the UN.

“The need is greater than ever but Canada’s contribution has never been lower,” said Steven Staples, president of the Rideau Institute, an Ottawa research and advocacy group. “The Harper government doesn’t regard peacekeeping as a route to enhancing Canada’s international stature.”

Ottawa ducked again this spring when the call went out for UN military observers to help prevent the unrest in Syria from spiralling into a full-blown civil war. In previous eras, Canada rarely missed that sort of mission. In fact, prior to 1995 it had been a national boast for decades that Canada had never failed to contribute to a UN peacekeeping mission.

Blue helmets cast aside, Canada keeps the peace no more

Just my two cents.

Couldn't agree more. Edited by jbg

I truly wish that Canada were more nationalistic. This may be going to far but it is interesting to think about. I think about it often when I'm alone. This is probably characterized as Ultra nationalism but still fun to think about if it were real able to happen, who knows maybe we can aspire tpo this level of perfection one day.

See my prequels:

I am staying in Niagara Falls, and just finished an intelligent, though slightly liquor-stoked conversation with an Ontarian. He asked why Americans in general and Bush in particular doesn't show Canada and Canadians more respect.

I think these are entirely the wrong questions. I pointed out that I met a Peterborough, ON school teacher who did not know what happened at the Plains of Abraham and didn't know who Montcalm and Wolfe were. I also asked why, if Canadians are not proud of Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach (Normandy), why should Americans show more respect for Canada than it does for itself.

Thoughts?

The things that I, as an outsider, think Canada should take pride in are great people, a great civil tradition that promotes order with freedom, responsibilities with rights, yes, a glorious military tradition, great natural beauty and a tremendous diversity of people living together among relative peace and tranquility. Unfortunately, these are the identical things that make the US and Australia (with less variety of people) great countries. That, for some people, forces Canada to define itself as the "Un-America".

It should be possible for people to share common positive attributes and not be self-branded as the same people.

Edited by jbg

I don't think a far right government would be good for Canada. It would only be a matter of time before this absolute power would corrupt absolutely. I wouldn't want Canada to be come like the "V for Vendetta" movie. Cool movie but I don't want to live like that where government controls everything. I like some freedom in my life. Plus these nationalist people would probably kill me because I am disabled. They view the disabled to be diseased people but I am a person who has something to contribute. I fear the Muslims would like to kill me as well due to my disability. Extremism mustn't be welcomed in Canada.

. Plus these nationalist people would probably kill me because I am disabled. They view the disabled to be diseased people but I am a person who has something to contribute. I fear the Muslims would like to kill me as well due to my disability. .

if you believe that....then you should start looking for a new country to live in since...
Extremism mustn't be welcomed in Canada
...that is an extremist viewpoint with nary a shred of evidence to back you up.

Just what the F are you so damned scared about?

I don't think a far right government would be good for Canada. It would only be a matter of time before this absolute power would corrupt absolutely. I wouldn't want Canada to be come like the "V for Vendetta" movie. Cool movie but I don't want to live like that where government controls everything. I like some freedom in my life. Plus these nationalist people would probably kill me because I am disabled. They view the disabled to be diseased people but I am a person who has something to contribute. I fear the Muslims would like to kill me as well due to my disability. Extremism mustn't be welcomed in Canada.

Merlin I'm sure your disability causes legitimate fears ... but fearing anihilation by Muslim extremists in Canada isn't one of the legitimate ones.

Fearing a far-right over-controlling government in Canada, however, is legitimate and close to current reality: If there's an independent voice in the governing party other than Harper's canned party lines, we've yet to hear it.

Edited by jacee

I think that pride in our peace keeping is a false pride. Canada is not exactly a peaceful nation by any means. We act through the other members of NATO and vice versa.

How are we keeping the peace in Afghanistan?

I agree. I could never understand this touchy feely peacekeeping thing. Sure, we provide heads for blue berets, but so do a lot of other countries.

Canadians have fought and died in enough wars on the right side that they can feel pride enough in the armed forces.