Republican National Convention 2012 coverage

These conventions are mostly just formalities as the primaries have decided who gets the nomination. However, what happens if the primaries have been so tight thatnone of the candidates has more than 50% of the delegates? Do the candidates with fewer delegates get eliminated until there are only two and then the supporters of the eliminated candidates get to decide which one of the remaining two wins?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big fan here NOT GOING TO SEE HIS MOVIE NOW.

Just because he supports Romney? :rolleyes:

This is a great example of the left's intolerance. Maybe it's because they're just not used to this type of thing. I disagree with Sean Penn on almost everything. I still enjoy his movies. I disagree with Rage Against The Machine on almost everything. I still enjoy their music. There are other countless examples in my life. Music, television, books, etc. That doesn't stop me from enjoying all of them. Oh well, punked's loss. Some day he'll grow up.

Anyways, I forgot to mention that, as great as I thought Ryan's speech was. Condolezza Rice may have been the most impressive. Great speech, and without any kind of teleprompter. Condi should run for President some day!

Guest American Woman

These conventions are mostly just formalities as the primaries have decided who gets the nomination. However, what happens if the primaries have been so tight thatnone of the candidates has more than 50% of the delegates? Do the candidates with fewer delegates get eliminated until there are only two and then the supporters of the eliminated candidates get to decide which one of the remaining two wins?

If no candidate has enough delegates to win, it becomes a "brokered convention" and the party can draft their preferred candidate.

Edited by American Woman

http://m.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romney-to-deliver-the-speech-of-his-life-at-gop-convention/2012/08/30/54ae2108-f2a8-11e1-892d-bc92fee603a7_story.html?wpisrc=al_comboNP_p

TAMPA — Mitt Romney on Thursday night will cast himself as a capable and tested executive for a country that has been deeply let down by President Obama, in a speech that will mark the end of his five-year quest for the Republican presidential nomination.

Romney, 65, is set to deliver the most important speech of his life at the Republican National Convention sometime after 10 p.m. Eastern time. According to early excerpts released by Romney’s campaign, he will reach out to disaffected voters who were excited about Obama as a candidate in 2008.

“If you felt that excitement when you voted for Barack Obama, shouldn’t you feel that way now that he’s President Obama?” Romney will say. “You know there’s something wrong with the kind of job he’s done as president when the best feeling you had was the day you voted for him. “

Romney will also cite his long career in business as evidence that he can do a better job managing the country’s economy. According to the speech excerpts, he will call the company he founded -- Bain Capital-- a “great American success story.”

“What is needed in our country today is not complicated or profound. It doesn’t take a special government commission to tell us what America needs,” Romney will say. “What America needs is jobs. Lots of jobs.”

In addressing a national television audience of millions, the former Massachusetts governor also is expected to seek a more personal connection with voters, in part by forthrightly discussing his Mormon faith.

Note cards are more impressive than a screen?

Obviously you didn't watch the speech, and can't be objective for even a second. You're kinda like punked in that you need to grow up as well. You don't need to hate everything just because I like it. :rolleyes:

Obviously you didn't watch the speech, and can't be objective for even a second. You're kinda like punked in that you need to grow up as well. You don't need to hate everything just because I like it. :rolleyes:

It was a question, seeking clarification. I don't care what you like. I just enjoy pointing out your lies when you make them, which is why you feel so uncomfortable.

But I did watch the Condoleeza Rice speech. You could tell she was reading off note cards and looked less professional as a result. She should have used a teleprompter like everybody else.

Guest American Woman

Best line from tonight.

"Obama promised to slow the rise of the oceans and heal the planet. My promise is to help you and your family."

Americans know that Obama promised more than that, as Americans know that a promise isn't worth any more than the words - and words are cheap compared to the actions. Romney does not strike one as caring more about "[us] and [our] family" than Obama does - unless one already supports him. In the end, "lines" such as this mean little. They make for a good speech, a good show, but that's about it. Furthermore, the POTUS doesn't have the power to do whatever he promises - without the backing of Congress.

One final comment - a lot of people care about the planet and see that as helping future generations, and some are concerned about the kind of world their children and grandchildren will inherit. IOW, Obama's line was a good line, too.

IMO, his speech is pretty wooden, and dead.

So far, I'm with you.

Note: the Eastwood thing was so off that the camp put out a statement saying it was a 'break' from the other speeches.

Edit: I'll add that the Eastwood thing kinda took the momentum from the video they showed.

I was in and out on Rubio but the parts I caught didn't impress me. Again, could be that I was expecting a lot from him.

Romney's speech was ok. There were a few lines I read beforehand that I felt fell flat a little. Not great but not terrible either.

Alex whatever the hell is last name is, the GOP strategist on CNN said it was 'good enough.'

I think that says enough.

Edited by j44

the RNC-Romney intro video was actually quite well done... however, it was pushed forward out of prime-time coverage to allow for the Eastwood placement/timing. Eastwood's bizarre act is taking away from... and will continue to somewhat overshadow... the actual Romney speech. #RomneyCampaignFail

ha... Eastwood is why the U.S. needs ObamaCare! :lol:

otherwise, a key takeaway has Romney rattling sabres eager for a punch-up with Putin... with Iran. And ridiculed Obama over climate change... 'Get a Brain Morans'!

Ryan's speech was really quite impressive. Too impressive, perhaps. Ryan is clearly a far far better speaker than Romney; that much has been obvious since the very beginnings of the campaign. He is more intelligent, and has a more consistent set of principles and ideas. This could actually be a problem for the Republicans, as their candidate for president will be constantly overshadowed by his VP pick.

I don't think Ryan has consistent ideas. He's a Christian and an Ayn Rand lover. 2 completely incompantible ideologogies.

Why would you call Ryan more intelligent? Besides Romney kicking ass in the business world, he...

"...still wanted to pursue a business path, but his father advised him that a law degree would be valuable to his career. Thus he became one of only fifteen students to enroll at the recently created joint Juris Doctor/Master of Business Administration four-year program coordinated between Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School. Fellow students considered him guilelessly optimistic, noting his solid work ethic and buttoned-down demeanor and appearance. He readily adapted to the business school's pragmatic, data-driven case study method of teaching, participated in class well, and led a study group whom he pushed to get all A's...He graduated in 1975 cum laude from the law school, in the top third of that class, and was named a Baker Scholar for graduating in the top five percent of his business school class."

Meanwhile Ryan created a budget plan that doesn't even add up properly on the balance sheet. He is a much better speaker than Romney though, but talk is cheap, most especially in politics.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

the RNC-Romney intro video was actually quite well done... however, it was pushed forward out of prime-time coverage to allow for the Eastwood placement/timing. Eastwood's bizarre act is taking away from... and will continue to somewhat overshadow... the actual Romney speech

This.

Apparently he was scheduled for 5 minutes. He went on for 12 (it felt waaay longer to me) AND he went off script.

I can't imagine the Romney are calm and happy tonight. Not earth shattering but it all could have gone better.

Ryan's speech was really quite impressive. Too impressive, perhaps. Ryan is clearly a far far better speaker than Romney; that much has been obvious since the very beginnings of the campaign. He is more intelligent, and has a more consistent set of principles and ideas. This could actually be a problem for the Republicans, as their candidate for president will be constantly overshadowed by his VP pick.

Um, when even Fox news concedes that Ryan is a liar (or "deceiving") yeah, whatever.... :rolleyes:

Or see his Brazen Lies.

As Paul Krugman writes: Ryan's flim-flam routine is having a shorter shelf life than Bush's (hence the Fox news link above).

Edited by msj

I think the funniest line was as someone said that let's help Obama finally get a job in the private sector, hopefully as soon as January.

The best line was Eastwood deriding lawyers and saying that they shouldn't be president.

Romney went to law school.

damn eastwood! why? it started out kind of okay, but then he turned into a rambling old man in front of a semi-literate hysterical crowd.

why would eastwood damage his credibility like this? he is treating the other option, the democrats, like it's the worse thing in the world, while showing support for the other party that receives a lot of the same big donations from corporations? why doesn't it bother eastwood that goldman sachs fuels the campaigns of both obama and romney?